No announcement yet.

Mark Smith kicked off airplane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't say that I've ever seen one of those in Australia either! (I'm also not sure that many would choose to use it in preference to an aisle chair, given the time it would take to use it. And our experience is that the staff hardly know how to use an aisle chair properly, so what are the chances of a more complicated system being used properly?)
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Comment

Very interesting to hear from some one like "Gordy1" who has experience with this system. Doesn't seem it really works that well in his experience.

And yet, it really looks like a good idea for those of us who haven't experienced this system.

Guess the grass always looks greener on the other side.

Comment

I'm gonna give a big hard pass on that one.
        I'd rather be humiliated by people thinking I look like Hanibal Lecther, rather than looking like Hanibal Lechter's infant in a winding swing.
        Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

Comment

The Eagle lift would replace the manual (human) "lifters" that some require to get from their own wheelchair to the aisle chair, and then from the aisle chair to their seat. I know a number of people who were dropped and injured during this process, including my mother. Would much prefer a safer device like this. Neither is great for your dignity, but at least you are safer.

(KLD)
          The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I sent an email to American Airlines about removing Mark Smith from this flight. I haven't received any response from them.

That said, maybe Mark Smith was removed from this flight for the same reason that this happened this week: http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...ompting-outcry

Thing is in the agreement of charter that all airlines publish, a passenger/any passenger has no rights that require the airlines to transport them, especially on an overbooked flight and for those passengers paying the lowest fare...or maybe whatever blows up the pants of the pilot. We, any passenger is at the whim of the airlines.

If this flight was overbooked, maybe Mark Smith was one of the passengers that got caught up in this morass. It happens, flyers beware...any flyers not just ones with a disability.

Comment

I doubt it, in overbooked situations PWD are removed last and I imagine if he flys as much as he says he does he has frequent flyer status that would also preclude him from being removed.

Originally posted by gjnl View Post
              I sent an email to American Airlines about removing Mark Smith from this flight. I haven't received any response from them.

That said, maybe Mark Smith was removed from this flight for the same reason that this happened this week: http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...ompting-outcry

Thing is in the agreement of charter that all airlines publish, a passenger/any passenger has no rights that require the airlines to transport them, especially on an overbooked flight and for those passengers paying the lowest fare...or maybe whatever blows up the pants of the pilot. We, any passenger is at the whim of the airlines.

If this flight was overbooked, maybe Mark Smith was one of the passengers that got caught up in this morass. It happens, flyers beware...any flyers not just ones with a disability.

Comment

I sent an email as well and got no response... Why would you remove the most difficult passenger to remove? They ask for volunteers don't they? I still think there is something going on there that we probably will not learn about....

Originally posted by gjnl View Post

Comment

If I were ever book another flight, I would certainly not choose American or United.

Comment

I wouldn't have moved, they would have had to drag me off the plane.

Comment

Back in the dark ages when I first started being a business traveler, they would just keep increasing the offer to buy your seat. Once they got to $400 plus hotel and first flight tomorrow they usually had ample volunteers. Today they just boot you off.
                      T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Comment

Years ago my wife and I flew American Airlines from Chicago OHare to Miami to take a cruise. The flight out was fine and my brand new 2 week old power chair survived in tact. On the way back again on American we boarded in Miami which seamed uneventful. When we arrived back in Chicago the other passengers were getting off while we waited for my chair to be brought up. The plane was almost empty when a young passenger in his 20's stopped and sat by us and said "so did anyone talk to you about your chair yet"? We said no what about it? He told us that he was looking out the window in Miami and watched the ramp employees try to send my chair up the conveyor belt into the belly of the plane. On the first attempt the chair made it up about 5 feet off the ground then fell off the side so they dragged it over and tried again but it came crashing to the ground again. On the third attempt someone finally held on to it and rode with it up into the plane. We thanked him very much for letting us know and he wrote down his phone number which he gave to us in case we needed him to testify on what he saw.

My wife got off the plane and started to question where my chair was. Just then a door opened from the outside elevator that they bring the chair up on and a Man tossed my 2 batteries in then 2 other guys dragged my broken chair in and shut the door. My wife went nuts telling them it was a new chair and this was unacceptable. How was I going to get off the plane, how was I going to drive my van home from that broken chair. American Airlines sent 2 gate employees, 2 plain clothes security personnel and the pilot to figure it out. The decision was made to transfer me to an isle chair then a manual chair and to take my power chair down to the American Airlines garage to try and make it functional again.

Security and the airline reps stayed with us while we filed a damaged luggage complaint with the airline. We were told that the ramp employees in Miami were contract employees and not American Airline employees so they basically don't care how much damage they do. After several hours my chair showed up from the shop. It had been bent almost in half so they pounded my solid seat pan down to flatten it back out, they got the batteries back in and duck taped my joy stick into place and I was able to get it home.

I called the airline home office the next day, reported what happens and told them of my complaint form for damaged luggage. They told me to contact my DME dealer and when I did they told me it happened all the time. They picked up my chair and did a complete rebuild, it was a 2 week old $13,000 chair and the repair bill which American Airlines paid was slightly over $10,000. I didn't have any other contact from American, no apology, no travel voucher or any other offer to compensate us they just paid to fix the chair and that was it.

We will not and never have flown on American Airlines again.
                        ^^(A)^^

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
                          I wouldn't have moved, they would have had to drag me off the plane.
                          lol they did on united yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by vjls View Post
                            They had cause yesterday (I'm sure it was written in the contract when purchase ticket), no cause with Mark though.

Comment

Originally posted by vjls View Post
                              LMCAO. That was a good one.
                              Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

Comment

Turns out ole Doc was suspended from service for exchanging sex from patients for certain meds and over-prescribed the usuals. Came in second in a World Poker Tourney? lol
                                Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Working...
                                X