Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone actually get "offended" from the term cripple or gimp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I prefer Pimp. but whatever floats their boat the only person EVER to call me "cripple" was a stripper. She was all..."oh but why NOT?" cause you aren't attractive enough, I replied. "At least i'm not a cripple" LOL Whatever baby. I can take you places you didn't know existed, spot me a 50, and we'll get it goin on

Comment

Originally posted by graybeard View Post
      I call myself a gimp. I do it cuz it is what it is. Im fucked up, and shit aint coming back. So be it. PC talk is for the Snowflakes... reality is for those who get their deal is screwed and jus go about their lives as best they can.
      fo sho
      C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

Comment

I've never been offended by those terms and use the screen name "Gimptafied" in most things including character names in video games. On a couple of occasions though, I've been chastised by other people online who find the name "offensive to people with disabilities."

I identify as a liberal (of sorts) but personally think the world is getting ridiculous about being PC and sensitive. I get annoyed by the term "differently abled" but it's not like I'm going to start demanding people stop using it because it bugs me. I think people that go around screaming tolerance need to be more tolerant themselves. It's more the intent that matters.

Comment

I don't like the term "differenty abled" either. Like,...what would "differently abled" parking look like? Or,..how does a "differently abled" driver drive?
          Female, T9 incomplete

Comment

I feel like I was offended one time when someone used the term cripple. They used it and I thought "oh, hey... people don't call me that every day" as I continued on with my day as normal. That's being offended... right?

Comment

I think the intention behind the words is all that matters. If someone trying to be 'sensitive' or 'polite' uses words that someone takes offense to, then the offended person might actually be 'differently abled'...in the brain. On the flip side, someone being intentionally mean, or trying to belittle, can use the nicest words and still deserve be confronted over it.

Intent is everything.
              "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Comment

Originally posted by Oddity View Post
                I think the intention behind the words is all that matters. If someone trying to be 'sensitive' or 'polite' uses words that someone takes offense to, then the offended person might actually be 'differently abled'...in the brain. On the flip side, someone being intentionally mean, or trying to belittle, can use the nicest words and still deserve be confronted over it.

Intent is everything.
                Nicely put

Comment

The one time someone called me "cripple" I deserved it Out at the strip club...the slut comes over.."let's dance?" "NO." "Why not? ".."you're not attractive enough." LOLLOL... "At least I'm not a cripple" she said condescendingly.

Comment

Originally posted by Vintage View Post
                    I don't like the term "differenty abled" either. Like,...what would "differently abled" parking look like? Or,..how does a "differently abled" driver drive?
                    Or how about the fact that the term only caters to the people that are actually "differently abled", meanwhile there are other disabilities that are completely 100% dependent even with breathing.

Comment

You can call me anything except late for meals!!! I usually badly for people who try to make believe they understand why I am in this chair. It's simple just ask, and I will explain as well as how to describe me in words. Yes, I am a crip! Not the gangbanger type Crip though. Facts are facts and if you hide from them, with some form of sensitivity, you are only fooling yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeHalsted View Post
                        The one time someone called me "cripple" I deserved it Out at the strip club...the slut comes over.."let's dance?" "NO." "Why not? ".."you're not attractive enough." LOLLOL... "At least I'm not a cripple" she said condescendingly.
                        You did.

Comment

LOL Very few people are going to call you a "cripple" to your face in today's society. I have never encountered it. The worst thing is being infantilized though. I'd rather be called "cripple" a million times than be treated like a baby, an object of pity' a sub-person. I have been patted on the head by randoms in public places before, even "kissed" on the cheek by a stranger after they sat down beside me to give me words of encouragement. It was humiliating. With my level of injury (high quad), gender and physical appearance (I look much younger than 27 - mistaken often as 17) it predisposes me to these encounters often in public. I know how to deal with it though.

Comment

Working...
                          X