Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sleep

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Sleep

    Does anyone know f a good sleep medication. I am on zopiclone and it will not even put me to sleep. Thanks in advance.

  • #2
    There are no sleep medications (hypnotics) that are really safe and effective for long term use. Even the best loose effectiveness within a few weeks, and many prevent REM sleep, which can end up with you having low levels of HGC (necessary for tissue repair in adults) and even development of psychosis. Better to use a non-medication method of getting to sleep like meditation, relaxation training, or even reading in bed. A good psychologist can make suggestions for "sleep hygiene" and help you work on these techniques.

    (KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

    Comment


    • #3
      Many of us spend a lot of time at night in front of computer screens, video games, cell phones, ebooks, and television screens. The light emitted by all of these devices is short-wavelength-enriched,” meaning it has a higher concentration of blue light than natural light—and blue light affects levels of the sleep-inducing hormone melatonin more than any other wavelength. Exposure to this blue light during the day, as from the sun, helps keep us alert and positively affects mood. Exposure to blue light after dark is detrimental to sleep. To limit exposure to blue light, turn off these devices 1-2 hours before going to bed or wear blue light blocking, amber colored glasses while you are exposed to these devices at night. It can make an amazing difference in your ability to fall asleep, stay asleep, and get good quality, recuperative sleep.

      All the best,
      GJ

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by gjnl View Post
        Many of us spend a lot of time at night in front of computer screens, video games, cell phones, ebooks, and television screens. The light emitted by all of these devices is short-wavelength-enriched,” meaning it has a higher concentration of blue light than natural light—and blue light affects levels of the sleep-inducing hormone melatonin more than any other wavelength. Exposure to this blue light during the day, as from the sun, helps keep us alert and positively affects mood. Exposure to blue light after dark is detrimental to sleep. To limit exposure to blue light, turn off these devices 1-2 hours before going to bed or wear blue light blocking, amber colored glasses while you are exposed to these devices at night. It can make an amazing difference in your ability to fall asleep, stay asleep, and get good quality, recuperative sleep.

        All the best,
        GJ
        Isn't there some kind of plastic shielding you can put on your TV to block the blue light? I remember reading something about it long ago

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by stevegalliazzo View Post
          Does anyone know f a good sleep medication. I am on zopiclone and it will not even put me to sleep. Thanks in advance.
          get offf the meds and smoke some indica
          C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

          Comment


          • #6
            I try to go without medication and the Zopiclone I took last night did not help at all. It just makes for some very long days and more suffering from central pain as I am awake more than I want to be.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by JamesMcM View Post
              Isn't there some kind of plastic shielding you can put on your TV to block the blue light? I remember reading something about it long ago
              I've seen several types of shields/protectors that fit screens up to about 36 inches.

              There are shields for cell phones and apps that filter out blue light on phones, monitors and tablets. These apps give an orange or red tint to the screens and images.

              You can also dim you devices which helps a little. For e-readers, it is suggested that you change from the white background with black letters to black background with white letters.

              Blue light filtering (amber) glasses run about $50.00. Screen protectors for televisions and monitors cost from $75.00. Cell phone protectors run $10.00+.

              All the best,
              GJ

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by gjnl View Post
                I've seen several types of shields/protectors that fit screens up to about 36 inches.

                There are shields for cell phones and apps that filter out blue light on phones, monitors and tablets. These apps give an orange or red tint to the screens and images.

                You can also dim you devices which helps a little. For e-readers, it is suggested that you change from the white background with black letters to black background with white letters.

                Blue light filtering (amber) glasses run about $50.00. Screen protectors for televisions and monitors cost from $75.00. Cell phone protectors run $10.00+.

                All the best,
                GJ
                Interesting thank you very much, you haven't seen anything bigger than 36 inches?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by stevegalliazzo View Post
                  I try to go without medication and the Zopiclone I took last night did not help at all. It just makes for some very long days and more suffering from central pain as I am awake more than I want to be.
                  Man for your nerve pain try high doses of magnesium from natural sources like green leafy vegetables or cocao powder easiest. It helps mine, it's not a complete reduction by any means necessary but it does a little bit better than Lyrica and it's very good for you. Magnesium is crucial for the central nervous system, and it's the second most common nutrient deficiency

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I'm experiencing the same thing. I seem to sleep about an hour to an hour and half at a time. I'll fall back asleep within a couple of minutes and then wake-up within an hour to hour and a half again. I've been taking 400 mg of melatonin at bedtime, but that doesn't seem to be doing anything. Until I became hyper-sensitive to opium based pain killers I was taking 10 mg of valium at bedtime. I stopped taking too because it can cause memory loss. I've tried the meditation route, but I just can't seem to make that work. My mind races so bad that I can't seem to shut it off. I can be physically exhausted and still not fall asleep because my mind is constantly racing. Any other ideas I'm game to try.
                    DaDutchman
                    C5/C6 since 2007 due to car accident

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      There are medicines that should help your brian. Risperadone is on that I am on.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        It took me six months to work out some sleep patterns after Zopiclone (shift worker). It's recommended not to take it longer than ten years due to memory problems.

                        Have you ever tried just plain ole Melatonin from your local drug store? 10mg oughta do it.
                        Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

                        T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I have been scared to mix presciptions with vitamins. I took two zopiclone and slept good last night. Melatonin may be worth a try.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            my doctor told me to stop taking sleeping pills because it is not good for you and he said it will take 1 week to get into right pattern. When I stopped taking them I slept about 2-3 hours a night for two weeks but the strange thing I was not tired and actually I had more energy. It seemed like the pills put tons of weight on you and make you feel tired all the time. If you stop taking them don't sleep during the day and force yourself to get into a pattern of certain time at night.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by scimike View Post
                              my doctor told me to stop taking sleeping pills because it is not good for you and he said it will take 1 week to get into right pattern. When I stopped taking them I slept about 2-3 hours a night for two weeks but the strange thing I was not tired and actually I had more energy. It seemed like the pills put tons of weight on you and make you feel tired all the time. If you stop taking them don't sleep during the day and force yourself to get into a pattern of certain time at night.
                              And limiting blue light exposure is essential.

                              All the best,
                              GJ

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X