Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone legally purchased a handicap sign?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone legally purchased a handicap sign?

I am referring to owning a regulation size handicap sign to be placed on your own private property for your own personal use. If so, how did you get it and what is/was the process? I have not inquired yet but this may be something PVA could handle? Thank you!

I am pretty sure anyone can buy one
    https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...54392400228326

Comment

Originally posted by Oldtimer View Post
      I am referring to owning a regulation size handicap sign to be placed on your own private property for your own personal use. If so, how did you get it and what is/was the process? I have not inquired yet but this may be something PVA could handle? Thank you!
      Yeah, I purchased one for my office. I own the lot, and people kept parking (basically on private property). Works great.

Comment

Small rural town here where the law only comes through for a complaint. The county deputy told me individual's can't legally buy a sign, only a place of business. If an individual has one, the law can only be enforced if you can show legal proof of purchase and then it needs to be approved by the city to put it up. The crap we have to go through because of some inconsiderates that have never had hemorrhoids, perfect assholes!

Comment

Small rural town here where the law only comes through for a complaint. The county deputy told me individual's can't legally buy a sign, only a place of business. If an individual has one, the law can only be enforced if you can show legal proof of purchase and then it needs to be approved by the city to put it up. The crap we have to go through because of some inconsiderates that have never had hemorrhoids, perfect assholes!
          I realize its tough to fight city hall even if they are wrong, and I think they are. It is your property and if it were not legal to buy them then the people selling them would be the ones asking for proof that you were eligible to buy them. Now the enforcement part may be a different thing. The city how ever has no say so when it comes to ADA, at least not going crosswise of it. Heck if a business wanted to they could double the number of handicap parking spaces they had and the city has no say in it and the ADA only spells out minimums as far as that goes. The city and the deputy are out of line here as far as permission being needed and on who can own a sign. So where are you wanting to use this sign?

Comment

Global Industries

I purchased signs before that are regulation size and meet ADA requirements.

Web site:

http://www.globalindustrial.com/c/sa...arking-traffic

You can post it on your private property with no fuss from city hall.

Ti
            "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Comment

Originally posted by djrolling View Post
              I realize its tough to fight city hall even if they are wrong, and I think they are. It is your property and if it were not legal to buy them then the people selling them would be the ones asking for proof that you were eligible to buy them. Now the enforcement part may be a different thing. The city how ever has no say so when it comes to ADA, at least not going crosswise of it. Heck if a business wanted to they could double the number of handicap parking spaces they had and the city has no say in it and the ADA only spells out minimums as far as that goes. The city and the deputy are out of line here as far as permission being needed and on who can own a sign. So where are you wanting to use this sign?
              The sign would be going on the street side of my residential property. I don't believe the city can deny me even though the mayor and two council members are from the same family. If approved, the deputy says parking regulations would be enforced. The problem is, the one parking on my side is also a family member of the council. I don't have a problem parking in my driveway but at the same time I don't see it being decent off the kid next door using my side when he has a corner lot but doesn't park on it. The street is for everyone to use so I may have to make a habit of parking in front of his house.

Comment

i think it depends on the city and town ordinances. meaning it depends on the city or town you live in. in general any sign that is put in on any city or town property has to both be purchased and installed by the city or town. i suggest you rather than purchase your own sign go to the city council and request one be put up. keeps you out of trouble and they most likely will do it based on your need.
                T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

Comment

In my city, you can get a handicapped parking space designated on the public street near your home, but you are not entitled to exclusive use. Anyone with a placard can park there. You cannot do this on your own. You have to make an application through the city's Streets & Transportation office.

(KLD)
                  The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
                    In my city, you can get a handicapped parking space designated on the public street near your home, but you are not entitled to exclusive use. Anyone with a placard can park there. You cannot do this on your own. You have to make an application through the city's Streets & Transportation office.

(KLD)
                    That's how it is where I live, too. A sign that you purchase yourself is not recognized by the city, and therefore municipal handicapped parking regulations will not be enforced. It's necessary to apply for handicapped parking status and be issued a placard; the city will then install a handicapped parking sign in front of one's home or business and paint the curb blue. Anyone without a state-issued placard who parks there will be towed. But anyone with a legal placard can park in that spot.
                    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Comment

SCI nurse is 100% correct on this. You do not "OWN" the street it is a public Right of Way, as such you do not have exclusive rights to that SPOT. In almost every locality every street sign is inventoried by location, that is: No Parking, limited parking, speed limits, school zones, Handicapped Parking etc. Many STATES require that the sign be included into the town,city, county, Rules and Regulations law book or the statutes of the community before any can be ENFORCED. And these Signs must be placed in accordance with the Manual of Traffic Control Devices, published by the Department of Transportation.

Yup there is a law and probably a rule book for every occasion. This has been the result of lawsuits created by scofflaws and evasion of civic responsibilities. What ever signs you place on your private property are not very likely to be enforced by a law enforcement officer. It is up to your elected officials if they will authorize such enforcement. If the [say] Planning board or ZBA requires you to have so many spaces available according to ADA standards, those would be usually enforceable, they were demanded as a condition of construction, or classification of use by a duly authorized municipal board. Such boards do have some judicial authority. Fire, Building or Zoning Codes enforcement officials, can also enforce such requirements authorized by the ADA.

Comment

I think you need a different kind of sign. A card board one on a stick to picket city hall. Then call local news, TV to let them know some nut in a wheelchair protesting. Worked in my little town.

Comment

I realize the street is for everybody to use and the deputy assured me the law would be enforced as long as the sign was legal and the city approved it being up. The problem is, 3 of the 5 council people are from the same family (which to me should be a conflict of interest) and the one parking by my house is also a family member. Kids of today have no regard for other people or other peoples property, he's being an ass and I have no recourse. I should be able to park my plow truck, car and van in front of his property without any problems then?!

Comment

...I should be able to park my plow truck, car and van in front of his property without any problems then?!
                            We had that problem with former neighbors. Where I live, yes - anyone can park in front of anyone else's house; but if someone is parked in front of your house for 24 hours straight, without once moving the vehicle, they can be ticketed or towed.
                            MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Comment

Originally posted by Bonnette View Post
                              We had that problem with former neighbors. Where I live, yes - anyone can park in front of anyone else's house; but if someone is parked in front of your house for 24 hours straight, without once moving the vehicle, they can be ticketed or towed.
                              And where could I find that info for my state? We are talking from Fri. eve through Sun. afternoon's mostly

Comment

Working...
                              X