No announcement yet.

Rehabilitation process question

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Rehabilitation process question

    Hi ^^
    What would be the rehabilitation process for a minor with a SCI in the T10 area?
    If they had no close family, would they have to stay at the hospital? If so, what ward would they stay in?
    Thank you for your time.

    When I was a kid (12yrs), I was put with adults. Unfortunately I was the only kid in the place but this was back in 1985. I had a 21yr old room mate who was the next youngest, but she had some mental challenges. The good part was I learned to be hella fierce independent. The bad part was that I learned to be hella independent (and still to this day don't ask for help when I should). Everyone said I turned into a 30yr old overnight.

    Not sure what country you're in, but Shriners love to help kids! I learned years later that I had the option, but my mother and father turned it down believing that I would be too far away, it would be costly for them to visit, etc.

    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

    T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12


      I suspect the OP is not working with a specific child, but seeking information for writing a fictional story or novel (from what is listed on their profile).

      Many large pediatric hospitals have rehabilitation centers within them. Some large rehabilitation centers have pediatric units (for example, the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago or Rancho Los Amigos National Rehab Hospital). State regulations may impact whether or not children can be admitted to an adult rehabilitation hospital. For example, I worked in a large rehabilitation center in California and we were allowed by our state health department licensing to take children as young as 13 years, but not children younger than that.

      Pediatric rehabilitation programs have a separate accreditation through CARF, and SCSC (Spinal Cord System of Care) CARF accredited programs that take children have an additional set of standards they must meet to be accredited as a SCSC.

      As lynnifer says above, the Shriner's Hospitals in the USA have 3 specialty SCI rehabilitation centers for children with SCI, and often take children from outside of the USA as well. These centers are in Sacramento, CA, Chicago, IL, and Philadelphia, PA.

      When an author who knows nothing about SCI seeks to get information from our forums and members to help them write a story, it is really disingenuous to post questions like this without clearly stating their intentions.

      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.