Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disabled parking placards / wheelchair specific placards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disabled parking placards / wheelchair specific placards?

Disabled parking placards / wheelchair specific placards?

How do the Disabled parking placards work in your area/city? and what state issued yours?

I live in Washington State, which keeps things real simple.
    You can park:
    On the street, for free, in any parking space that is time restricted (including metered parking). This doesn?t apply to privately-owned parking lots or areas reserved for special types of vehicles (fire lanes, loading zones, etc.).
    In any specially-designated disabled parking space.
    Note: Van-accessible spaces are designed for use by wheelchair vans. Please use them only if you drive a wheelchair van or no other disabled parking spaces are available.
    You can?t park in zones or areas:
    Where stopping, parking, or standing of all vehicles is prohibited.
    Reserved for special types of vehicles (fire lanes, loading zones, etc.).

http://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/parkinguse.html

I live close to Portland Oregon and the city has just changed how it's parking policy operates regarding disabled parking placards.

Also learned that Oregon issues wheelchair specific placards!

Interested to know if anyone other states/cities do this,
    Oregon issues two different types of placards, one for Disabled, and one specifically for wheelchair users.

https://www.portlandoregon.gov/shared/cfm/image.cfm?id=491735

https://www.portlandoregon.gov/transportation/64922

If you have the wheelchair user placard, then you're entitled to the unlimited parking, their is no time limit.
    BUT if you're using an out of state placard you are out of luck, time limits apply and you have to pay on meters etc.

So I travel to Portland often, and for medical appointments, one of the offices I visit is a parking permit zone plus one hour for visitors, which worked out fine before with the parking placard, of course now as soon as I stay over an hour I get a parking ticket, so if Portland is going to be so hostile you'd think there would be some program where there would be reciprocity with other states wheelchair users( UNITED states and all).

Never having to have to think about this before, now curious to know how it is in other states and cities from experience etc. ?

I hope the "wheelchair only" tag catches on nationwide. Texas has over 300,000 disabled tags, and even among the small subset of users that are legitimately mobility impaired, wheelchair users are a tiny minority. Yet, the van accessible parking places are the first to fill.

Comment

I'm curious to know how many States issue wheel chair user tags.... and like you say which states are considering changing to this idea?

Comment

Unfortunately CA has not joined this movement. Tons of handicapped placards, many obtained illicitly, and many people holding onto "grandma's" placard and using it after she dies. The state requires it to be returned to the DMV after a death, but there is no enforcement.

(KLD)
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

IL came out with a new 'severely disabled' or some such type of tag...yellow now. From what I gather it will allow a pass on paying metered street parking in the city of Chicago. Beyond that, not sure. I don't think I'll get mowed down by a bus while getting out of the car to try it out.

Comment

PA, I know of people who do use them and nothing wrong with them. It is enough to make me puke. I do not drive. Should I ever again, I have no intention of ever parking in disabled parking - period.

Comment

The wheelchair user placard

The regular disabled placard.

The temporary disabled placard.

Comment

Baltimore, Md just changed from unlimited free parking at city meters to having to pay and obey time limits.

They say it's to free up parking spots and to cut down on dis tag theft but I don't think each of those spots we're supposed to pay to use has a ramp right there so you don't have to wheel a block just to get up to feed the meter then another block to get on the path to where you're headed.

I don't mind paying, just the struggle of getting to the meters. It's bad enough to need to hold up traffic on a street while you get the chair out, reassemble it, and manage your carcass into the seat.

I agree that wheelchair tags would be helpful. I'll have to look up more on the specifics of the 2 tier tag system, to advocate for them here in Md and Delaware. Do they issue them for anyone who uses a w/c or only for those who are dependent upon them for all mobility? (in other words those of us who can't stow the w/c in the trunk and walk around to the drivers door.)

Comment

Illinois issues 4 types of placard.

The Secretary of State’s office issues four types of parking placards:
                  • Meter-Exempt Permanent Placards — Issued to persons with permanent disabilities who have significant impairments that cause difficulty in accessing a parking meter. This placard also allows the authorized holder to park in spaces reserved for persons with disabilities such as at a mall, grocery or retail store, etc., and exempts the authorized holder from parking meter fees and time limitations at parking meters that exceed a 30-minute time limit statewide. To be eligible for this placard, the person with the disability must have a valid Illinois driver’s license, and their physician must certify that they meet the criteria as outlined on the certification form. This placard DOES exempt the authorized holder from parking meter fees.
                  • Non Meter-Exempt Permanent Placards — Issued to persons with permanent disabilities who still have the ability to access the parking meter and allows the authorized holder to park in spaces for persons with disabilities such as a mall, grocery or retail store, etc. This placard DOES NOT exempt the authorized holder from parking meter fees and time limitations at parking meters.
                  • Temporary Placards — Issued to persons with a temporary disability and are valid for the length of time indicated by the certifying physician, not to exceed six months if issued by the Secretary of State and 90 days if issued by a local municipality. This placard DOES NOT exempt the authorized holder from parking meter fees and time limitations at parking meters.
                  • Organization Placards – Issued to organizations that transport persons with disabilities free of charge and expire on April 30, 2018. Organizational placards allow the authorized holder to park in spaces reserved for persons with disabilities when transporting persons with disabilities. This placard DOES NOT exempt the authorized holder from parking meter fees and time limitations at parking meters.
                  http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/se...abilities.html

Comment

I have the Oregon wheelchair only placard. I still cannot ever find a spot due to the fact that the others (dark blue placards)are always parked there, The only thing I like is the free street parking. The enforcement is just as bad here as it is anywhere else.
                    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

Comment

After talking to dozens of Portland City people, finally found out
                      Portland Or has a form for out of state wheelchair users that your doctor must sign.

When used in conjunction with your state placard, you can have the same benefits as an Oregon Wheelchair user.
                      Of course there are no direct links to the form !!! (and I still can't attach and documents on CareCure!)

I guess now I have to work on the state legislature to get a two tier disabled placard system in this state, so we can get reciprocity when we travel.

Comment

I would prefer parking permit enforcement and education. I do think the van spaces should not be taken first if you don't genuinely need the space, but I don't believe if someone with a parking permit for say a heart condition arrived and the only available space was a van one that they should not be able to park there.

There are so many different types of disabilities, and I don't feel its right to "tier" them in any sort of priority parking. I think if people were educated better they hopefully wouldn't do stupid stuff like parking in the crosshatch spaces (ILLEGAL!), or take spots next to crosshatching if they don't need it and other spaces are available. Wheelchair users aren't the only people who need additional space to exit and enter their vehicles, and so need the crosshatching. And if you're going to start saying one disability has priority over another that would be a huge mess. Are you going to have multiple disability specific spaces for wheelchair users who also have heart or lung conditions? What about those with SCI and other disabilities that don't use wheelchairs but require extensive orthotics, prosthetics, crutches, walkers, etc and the room to get them out of the vehicle?

Personally I think the problem in disabled parking is people only thinking of themselves, and so there will be no solution in people only worrying about themselves. We have disabled people who either don't know or don't care and so park in the crosshatching blocking the individuals who parked in that spot FOR the crosshatching. We have disabled people who park in the spaces when they do not actually need them or they are not actually the best space for them just because they can (I once watched a woman get out of her car in the disabled spot, then walk down the sidewalk to enter a door in front of 4 open parking spaces.) Drivers just sitting in the disabled spaces for long periods waiting on people. And of course the biggest problem would be vehicles without placards or with stolen placards.

I've had 2 placards stolen myself. One through my cracked window while I was in the ER, another when my car was broken into. When I went to have them replaced I brought with me the number that was on the cards thinking they would have some sort of way to report that card as lost/stolen.... But no. My only relief was that they eventually expired. Well, now Indiana went to "no expire" permits for those with permanent disabilities. Which means if stolen they're good forever unless the individual gets caught which seems pretty unlikely since we can't even get the police to care about people parked in the spaces without ANY placard! I'd like to see random checking of placards to verify the owner is the one using it, and hefty fines with confiscation if it isn't. It happens now and then, I've seen news articles on youtube where they've done it at certain events. And there are so many violators it brings in TONS of money. So in my mind there really is no reason other than the lack of people caring about others that prevents something being done. Everyone wants to pass the buck. Stores say its up to police, police say its up to stores. I'm sure the amount of money brought in by violators would pay to cover employment to do randomized checking. Especially setting up checking of all placards at big events. And when an officer is on duty, how about they have to randomly check x number of placards (and have a way to see if its a stolen one) when they aren't busy.

Instead of dividing up disabilities, I'd like to see us all come together for real change.
                        Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Comment

I know part of the problem are states or municipalities that cannot give tickets out on private property. I lived in a city like that in Maryland. If you parked in a fire lane the security cops at the mall would call the county fire marshall's office to right a summons citation. And the fire guys came by on a regular basis around Christmas. But county police could not write parking tickets without the permission of the owner of the mall. Hey, I lived in a corporation not a city or town according to the state's laws. So the HP slots are there as a service to customers along with the current fine but it is not, or wasn't when we left in 2012, enforced.

For everyone else, I tend to agree. My Dad had a HP placard for the last 10 years or so of his life and mainly used it in hot weather until the last few years when he had problems walking very far. Me? I can roll a long way using my power chair. And thanks for the reminder. I need to turn his placard in before we sell his car.
                          Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

Not wanting to take this more off topic.... trying to figure what is the law pertaining to placards in your area
                            If I visit your city can I park with my placard ?

The original intent of the Handicapped placard for parking was just for wheelchair users, it has been diluted over time, and ironically it seems we're going back to where it started.
                            Wasn't to get you close to anything it was to put parking in a safe location so you weren't hit by other vehicles as it was considered we were less visible to other motorists as we wheeled around.

It seems like some where in the legislature the vehicle parking concessions really only apply to wheelchair users hence states are breaking disabled placards and wheelchair users into two groups.
                            If you have a disable placard municipalities will offer parking spots, but you'll have to pay and there will be time constraints when metering is concerned.
                            If you're a wheel chair user there are no time restraints.

As for corporate parking lots, I know in Washington state if they put up the state disabled sign and no placard is displayed the local police will respond if called. The same if someone parks on the hashmarks, last time I called someone in it cost them $450. Large supermarket parking lot.

I've noticed Corporate lots putting up disabled parking spaces which are now being signed "WheelChair user only" . Now I know they are differentiating the Placard it makes sense.

Comment

NW-WILL, it wasn't so much that the mall was a corporation but that the actual municipal area is a corporation within a county. If vandals tore apart a tot lot on the "Association" trails the county police needed corporate ok to prosecute. This became an issue the last few years we lived there. About the only true over lap was county property taxes. But then we paid an extra assessment that was not deductible on a federal income tax for extras like trails, parks, pools, and supporting the village center halls plus extra snow removal and lighting. This is above any HOA or condo fees many paid. Then the added cost for a membership that included all amenities such as the pools, tennis courts, gyms and certain reservable park areas. You could also buy a pools only membership. Any business outside the corporation but bordering it could easily call and did the police for HP parking violations. I also had no problem with either our county or the state in getting an intersection near are old house made completely accessible because none of it was considered corporate. But get a home owner to trim his shrubs because I couldn't get past them on the association sidewalk and I got a note that a ride by deemed them within code. I wrote back to invite the advisory board from my village to tour the neighborhood with me and got no answer. By then we knew we were moving so at least the next person only has one group to deal with.
                              Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

Working...
                              X