Music fest in Shenandoah Valley, in July

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Music fest in Shenandoah Valley, in July

Anyone interested? It's called the Redwing Roots festival. Sponsored by a band called The Steel Wheels. Can't really say but tonight TSW had an online concert, b/cuz they got weathered out of their real one. The only ppl in that chatroom were uberfans, like me. I asked if the fest was do-able via w/chair, and was told yes, barring weather. I want to go. You guys know I nearly always do stuff, once I get that bit between my teeth. Anybody interested?
    Blog:
    Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

I've heard of it but have never been. It's about an hour from me, but there are tons of music festival around. A new one opened last year and was a huge success, about 30 minutes south of me. http://www.locknfestival.com/

Red Wing sounds like fun. It's 20 miles from Scott Pruett so he may know more about it than I do. http://www.redwingroots.com/
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Nice! The Steel Wheels are a local favorite.

I haven't been to the site of the Red Wing Roots festival in years (i.e., been there pre-SCI), but would be happy to check it out. It's at a regional park, and I'd imagine it's plenty do-able w/ a chair. PM or email w/ any specific questions & I'll help as I can. FYI, I'm about a month out of a major back surgery, so I can't promise much right away.

Comment

The spousal unit hates outside music festivals but I will be dragging him to SummerFest in Milwaukee this year. He might send me rolling into the lake if I tried two in one summer. But if you go I want details for other years.
        Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

It gets hot in the valley in July. Quads beware!
          You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
          http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
          http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Comment

I saw the Steel Wheels in an outdoor concert here in PA. Good group, very entertaining!

Yoda

Comment

We have outdoor festivals here every year, I've never been to any, but hear they are a blast. Here it's country music and the big one is in Townsend every year. I have no idea when this year or if it is chair friendly, but would like to go sometime. It goes on for the whole weekend. I think you can go for one night or buy a ticket for three nights.

Comment

west Virginia Shenandoah, valley or Pennsylvania Shenandoah valley?

Comment

Originally posted by jody View Post
                  west Virginia Shenandoah, valley or Pennsylvania Shenandoah valley?
                  It's in Virginia, between Harrisonburg and Staunton.

If driving, work your way a few miles up Skyline Drive to Luray and visit Luray Caverns. It's a accessible and a spectacle to behold. But rest up your tris or bring a power chair, because there are some steep sections on the floor of the cavern.

Don't forget that TJ's pad Monticello is an hour east. Another great place to take in. Colonial Williamsburg is 90 minutes from there. Oh, and we have an amazingly accessible boardwalk and beach access in VA Beach.

DC and the Smithsonian is also pretty close (the relatively new Air & Space museum is fantastic)

If you just want to take in mountain music, I-81 is your friend. I recommend you visit https://www.myswva.org/tcr

I promise I don't work for the board of tourism, I've just lived in the Old Dominion my whole life!

Comment

That's in Virginia, the one for lovers.
                    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Originally posted by quadfather View Post
                      It's in Virginia, between Harrisonburg and Staunton.

If driving, work your way a few miles up Skyline Drive to Luray and visit Luray Caverns. It's a accessible and a spectacle to behold. But rest up your tris or bring a power chair, because there are some steep sections on the floor of the cavern.

Don't forget that TJ's pad Monticello is an hour east. Another great place to take in. Colonial Williamsburg is 90 minutes from there. Oh, and we have an amazingly accessible boardwalk and beach access in VA Beach.

DC and the Smithsonian is also pretty close (the relatively new Air & Space museum is fantastic)

If you just want to take in mountain music, I-81 is your friend. I recommend you visit https://www.myswva.org/tcr

I promise I don't work for the board of tourism, I've just lived in the Old Dominion my whole life!
                      Jinx! LOL! Been an Old Dominionite my whole life, too. (My family arrived in Isle of Wight country circa 1630 and we never left! Well, some did. My line stuck around, though! Couldn't imagine living anywhere else.)
                      "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

we'll be driving to pa sometime this summer. iv seen signs for the caverns.

Comment

Betheny, I might be interested in that trip. Sounds like fun. Good idea. I normally go to CMA in Nashville but it conflicts with a Sailboat race and a Tennis tournament I have in early June plus I've done CMA so many times I'm ready for some different things.
                          "Life is about how you
                          respond to not only the
                          challenges you're dealt but
                          the challenges you seek...If
                          you have no goals, no
                          mountains to climb, your
                          soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

If I were going I would stop off and visit the Woodrow Wilson Rehab Center near Staunton. Spent 18 months doing survival training there.
                            You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
                            http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
                            http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
                              If I were going I would stop off and visit the Woodrow Wilson Rehab Center near Staunton. Spent 18 months doing survival training there.
                              I'm a WWRC alum as well (Class of '86-'87 lol). It's not like it was then. Too many hospitals doing all rehab "in-house" these days

Comment

Working...
                              X