Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dollar general won't read or understand the service dog ADA laws.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.ilru.org/html/publication...hCarolina.html

http://www.virtualcil.net/cils/query-iandr.php?state=sc

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

thanx KLD. those are several hours away from me however.

there really is nothing like a cil in my area.

it's an hour just to see a physiatrist, and the next closer are in Georgia and north Carolina, which I live close to the boarder of.

Comment

sue he's had extensive temperament tests.
        wasn't raised in a shelter. he was caught by another Anatolian owner who says she saw him running down the street. they advertised he'd been found, but no one claimed him. the lady shows them and is also a tech for my vet who has a small eight run rescue shelter. He's a little small for a male but very nice conformation, so I wonder about his being found running the streets by someone who has them to show.
        He did not show any fearfulness until after he came back the second time.

His fearful behavior is gone except for his fear of vacuum cleaners. he hates em even if they are just sitting there not vacuuming. when I say fearfulness, I mean he would flinch, crouch and pee when he was afraid, or flop on the ground and shut down.

I hope to meet other Anatolian SD owners at the UKC show in July. they may be able to recommend trainers who understand the breed.
        this breed of dog is not like any sheep dog breed iv worked with.

he is stubborn and of an independent nature. not for someone who wants a push button obedient dog, but as I said not aggressive.

I do use a prong collar to prevent his pulling on me. he has a second wide leather collar, and his leash has clips at both ends, attached to both collars. the prong is for correcting his habit of leaning into his collar when he is on leash, which is too tiresome for me.

Comment

The AS breed is bred to think and respond independently of its owner. For all the training on the world, this is a dog that will do its own thing, make its own decision when it chooses to do so. For that reason alone, this is a poor choice as an assistance dog.

Comment

I guess I better not run out of cookies then.

Comment

I just had a question what about abuse of this service dog thing how does a homeowner protect themselves from so called pets service dogs that are really pets not saying anyof the above but you guys seem to know the skinny on this

Comment

Not sure I understand your question. What do you mean by "...a homeowner protect themselves from so called pet service dogs...?"

Comment

I have a renter who quote trains service dogs how do you know for sure they are not just saying that to get away with dogs in the house I found out about the dogs after they moved in and had a lease no dogs.

how do you know its legitiamate ? how do you know someone claims to have say a service dogs for seisures how can you verify ? thanks for answering

Comment

All you are allowed to ask is what service(s) the service dog provides for the person. It must be some type of physical assistance. So called "comfort" or "emotional support" dogs are not protected under the ADA.

(KLD)
                    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by gjnl View Post
                      Not sure I understand your question. What do you mean by "...a homeowner protect themselves from so called pet service dogs...?"
                      Any untrained dog can easily be dressed up as an "Emotional Support Animal". For the cost of a service dog vest purchased on Ebay and a Service Animal certificate/laminated card purchased online, you can keep a pet in an apartment without a deposit. You can also take it into restaurants and other places where pets aren't usually allowed.

Comment

Originally posted by 2drwhofans View Post
                        Any untrained dog can easily be dressed up as an "Emotional Support Animal". For the cost of a service dog vest purchased on Ebay and a Service Animal certificate/laminated card purchased online, you can keep a pet in an apartment without a deposit. You can also take it into restaurants and other places where pets aren't usually allowed.
                        See KLD's response above, that is why I asked the question.

A while ago, NL and I were in a Social Security office waiting for an appointment. A young woman walked in carrying her cat. The office guard asked her if the cat was a service animal. She answered, "Yes." The guard asked no other questions nor requested proof. Protected by the ADA or not, I think most public establishments just won't challenge the legitimacy of a service/comfort animal for fear of being accused of or slammed with a discrimination claim.

In the case of the original poster, the tenant doesn't need a service/comfort animal. The tenant trains "service animals/comfort animals." In this instance, I think the owner of the property is on very solid ground to evict the tenant for violation of the terms of the lease, ADA or not.
                        Last edited by gjnl; 04-03-2017, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by vjls View Post
                          I have a renter who quote trains service dogs how do you know for sure they are not just saying that to get away with dogs in the house I found out about the dogs after they moved in and had a lease no dogs.

how do you know its legitiamate ? how do you know someone claims to have say a service dogs for seisures how can you verify ? thanks for answering
                          I do not think you have to allow a trainer to live in your rental house unless he is training the dog for his own use. If he is a trainer he is running a business and while he is allowed to take the dog anywhere a service dog is allowed your rental house is not one of those places. If you have a no pet policy in the lease or rental agreement then he cannot have a pet there. If her were legit he would have told you up front and said you have to let me because that is the law. I am sure it would be different for a person with a disability but not a trainer unless those people are one in the same. I am not a lawyer nor an expert on the law. Now a person with seizures and a dog that alerts them is a whole different story. Not sure how you can prove or disprove. maybe someone else will chime in. Also this page may help guide you http://servicedogcentral.org/content/faq/61

Comment

The only thing these people understand is $. So file a complaint with the DOJ or just call a local lawyer who do sharing on the proceeds. It's a cut and dried case of discrimination and non- adherence to the law.

Comment

Working...
                            X