Be careful what you wish for.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Be careful what you wish for.....

Mother's anger after council install 'slalom' ramp for disabled daughter in front garden

The mother of a disabled girl have criticised housing officials after they installed a ?40,000 eyesore 'slalom-style' ramp over ten levels outside her home

A ramp with ten levels installed by West Dunbartonshire Council at the home in Duntocher, Clydebank so wheelchair user Katie Lally, 7, can access her home with the help of her mum Clare

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...nt-garden.html[/h]
    Last edited by Timaru; 02-13-2014, 11:31 AM.

Wow. I assume that was done to adhere to code on max allowed ramp elevation/angle and not just out of spite!
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Is it just me, or should that have been built with a little more aesthetics in mind?
      Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

Comment

Originally posted by Crappler View Post
        Is it just me, or should that have been built with a little more aesthetics in mind?
        Just plant some vines that will grow and cover the railings. That must be some kind of Guinness record ramp.
        You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
        http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
        http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Comment

too bad they couldn't have placed several others in needed homes for the large amount of money it took to build that. also they could have provided many ramps for others in need for what it cost to put that up. it's very silly.

Comment

Nice to have the forum back.

Comment

Originally posted by Skogy View Post
              Nice to have the forum back.

No doubt! I really haven't posted here since the last "upgrade".
              Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

Comment

There are levels of stupidity and this obviously goes off the scale...

Comment

Just fix my cord please

Comment

Did I read that article right? The town provided them the HOUSE, too?!?!?! What's that old saying? "Beggars can't be choosers.", or something...
                    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Oh my!

Comment

I think they woulda been better off with a nice flat ranch house
                        "Life is about how you
                        respond to not only the
                        challenges you're dealt but
                        the challenges you seek...If
                        you have no goals, no
                        mountains to climb, your
                        soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

Oh boy, lol. I've seen similar

Comment

Back in 1972 my girlfriend, a wheelchair user- now my wife, lived in public housing in NYC. Back then there was no legal requirement to make even public housing accessible. There were 2 very shallow steps at entrance and she was using a homemade custom ramp to get up the steps. Once up, she folded the ramp and moved it into the bushes at side of steps. The ramp was chained to the step railing to prevent theft. The housing authority wanted the ramp removed as a possible hazard, my girlfriend wanted the authority to build a real ramp. They responded by letter that they had no obligation to provide anything, the letter was signed by a housing authority official - no less than Eleanor Holmes Norton now a liberal congress person from Wash DC. How times have changed.

Comment

I wish some of these people had to use a wheel chair, walker, and a cane for about a week at a time. Just to see what it's like to deal with......of course they would know they would be losing the problem, so whether or not they would "get it" would also be a problem. Something like this always reminds me of the facilities available while traveling. We stop at the rest areas and my AB spouse has several steps to the building, while I on the other hand, have to navigate a country mile to reach the building. Who designs these things!?

Comment

Working...
                              X