Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The last few weeks....

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The last few weeks....

    ...I'm just sitting around , trying to find out everything about SCI and spinal cords and possible cures blabla.... I'm tired of this all. Simply cant accept this chair in my life. What do you guys do when you feel like that??

  • #2
    I smoke some medical Marijuana, great for nerve pain as well, then I go do something with a smile on my face. You know its about impossible to change the body,(trust me I'm doing everything I can) so all that you can change is the way you think about life. Yes it sucks big time, but what the hell can you do, but try to more on.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

    Comment


    • #3
      stinkin' thinkin' KK. First 2 years is tough. I think the folks here could lend more advice if we knew more about you - age, injury level.

      flying - horrible advice. Smoking dope never helped anyone. I was chronic for 17 years, my SCI is the only thing that got me to stop.

      My best advice is to use CC to find solutions, not look for more problems.

      Comment


      • #4
        tooley I was not smoking pot pre sci and would not be smoking it now if it wasn't for my injury, but it sure isn't for everyone.

        KK11 Tooley is right about getting to know you. So whats up in Deutschland these days. Do you just like race cars or did you crash one? My wife ran off the Germany to visit her mom and brothers for three weeks leaving me all along. And no I never learned German, the damn words are way to long for this boy. I do know that six in German sounds a lot like sex in English.
        So whats your injury level anyway, you got a women in your life. One thing I know about this new life is that its really easy to get depressed, seems like its always there waiting in the background. Lots of people here take antidepressants, and they do help if you really need them. Keep talking, or writing, it does seem to help to communicate with other people in the same boat. And yes it does get easier over time.
        T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

        Comment


        • #5
          Once I got a career underway and married I did not have time to sit around contemplating my navel. lol
          You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
          http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

          See my personal webpage @
          http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by tooley View Post
            stinkin' thinkin' KK. First 2 years is tough. I think the folks here could lend more advice if we knew more about you - age, injury level.

            flying - horrible advice. Smoking dope never helped anyone. I was chronic for 17 years, my SCI is the only thing that got me to stop.

            My best advice is to use CC to find solutions, not look for more problems.
            Of course....I had a motorcycle accident (which I was not responsible for) in september 2011. My level of injury is T6 and Im an ASIA A.Im 25 years old. My girl run away from me. The only thing I have is money because of the accident and for the fact that I wasnt guilty. But you know what?? I shit on that seriously....just want my life back but I wont get it. Thats reality I guess but its so f%#$£ng hard......

            Comment


            • #7
              There's no denying the injury sucks beyond sucking! But, quality of life in a lot of cases can be up to that person. Just IMHO. Long story, but my last 2 years have been the hardest. I could rant for paragraphs the blah, blah...good days, bad days, blah, blah. I don't rant at home; just here. LOL I get tired of it too, keeping up the good attitude, smiling, trying to appear normal, and blend. I get angry when some mystery SCI issue pops up and I miss my Granddaughter run track or a dance recital.

              But, each morning, before I let any dark SCI thoughts into my head, I focus on what might make me smile today. It's always something little, (because I stay home, don't drive), usually helping someone through Facebook - just my cup of tea. I try and help friends promote their cause, products, needs or whatever. I've also learned when setting goals to avoid expectations of my body that i can't control so I don't risk disappointing myself. It's a delicate balance, I'm a long way from mastering the SCI good life, but do at least one thing everyday to move forward.

              So, those are some of my top secret SCI strategies. Maybe you could start with, what makes you smile? Not to be corny, but a smile can be a good start to happy.

              Wishing you better days ahead!


              Originally posted by KK11 View Post
              ...I'm just sitting around , trying to find out everything about SCI and spinal cords and possible cures blabla.... I'm tired of this all. Simply cant accept this chair in my life. What do you guys do when you feel like that??
              Incomplete, SCI, T1-T8, w/ Arachnoid Cyst. Bilateral shoulder surgeries, 2 on the left, 3 on the right, right forearm surgery for a crushed radial nerve.

              "We can always choose to perceive things differently. We can focus on what's wrong in our life, or we can focus on what's right."
              — Marianne Williamson

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Charlottes Web View Post
                There's no denying the injury sucks beyond sucking! But, quality of life in a lot of cases can be up to that person. Just IMHO. Long story, but my last 2 years have been the hardest. I could rant for paragraphs the blah, blah...good days, bad days, blah, blah. I don't rant at home; just here. LOL I get tired of it too, keeping up the good attitude, smiling, trying to appear normal, and blend. I get angry when some mystery SCI issue pops up and I miss my Granddaughter run track or a dance recital.

                But, each morning, before I let any dark SCI thoughts into my head, I focus on what might make me smile today. It's always something little, (because I stay home, don't drive), usually helping someone through Facebook - just my cup of tea. I try and help friends promote their cause, products, needs or whatever. I've also learned when setting goals to avoid expectations of my body that i can't control so I don't risk disappointing myself. It's a delicate balance, I'm a long way from mastering the SCI good life, but do at least one thing everyday to move forward.

                So, those are some of my top secret SCI strategies. Maybe you could start with, what makes you smile? Not to be corny, but a smile can be a good start to happy.

                Wishing you better days ahead!
                Thanks for your words Charlotte

                Comment


                • #9
                  Have you tried any adaptive sports, like hand cycling, sailing, kayaking, etc. There pretty fun an they get you out of the house into the fresh air. With some of your money you could get a really cool hand cycle, or some other toys to play with. Endorphins really help put a smile on ones face.
                  T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by flying View Post
                    Have you tried any adaptive sports, like hand cycling, sailing, kayaking, etc. There pretty fun an they get you out of the house into the fresh air. With some of your money you could get a really cool hand cycle, or some other toys to play with. Endorphins really help put a smile on ones face.
                    I want to go for it when Im living in my house. Im just changing my residence right now. I have to get over my depressions....everyday the same &%$§. I also have to look after some people who also have SCI. In my place there are none. Everyone is healthy here except me lol. Ahh just dont know what I should do. Job is gone , girlfriend is gone (my fault) but I have to start somewhere but its so tough. But I think you guys know what I mean

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      KK - money is nice but I know how you feel about it being meaningless. You (all of us) have been through a long-altering tragedy. Turn the page, there are many more chapters to be written.

                      Regardless of your focus for the near-future (moving), be mindful of the long-term. Setting a goal to go back to school to be able to contribute back to society would be a good start.

                      Most people when put in a position to challenge themselves thrive. Find a way to do this, mentally and physically.

                      I had a great psychologist while in rehab. He told me "focus your thoughts and your feelings will follow." Moving one day at a time is important as long as you move in the right direction. Sounds corny but it's true.

                      I really like the handcycle suggestion because in my experience it got me through the 2-year mark. Physically it changed me which gave me a renewed outlook on all other aspects of my new life.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by tooley View Post
                        Regardless of your focus for the near-future (moving), be mindful of the long-term. Setting a goal to go back to school to be able to contribute back to society would be a good start.
                        This exactly. My paralysis was non-traumatic, so no settlement and money probably makes it all better ... so I must work. Even if there had been any kind of settlement, I would have gone to school for a career (probably social work). Build something for the long-term.

                        Know other people here understand exactly. ((hugs)) It does get better.
                        Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

                        T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          kk...I had so much money, I could not spend it fast enough. I had 2 great kids. I had unbelievable job. Was building custom home I designed - at least in that now. This ain't fun now. Not even have damn driver license. I said this before on here. I go up and down with mentality. Probably too drastic changes in too short of time. Really pisses me off. 2 things that seem help. 1 - is my dog. But did NOT get him for support. Love dogs. He somehow knows I am in a wheelchair compared with anyone else. Not sure how he knows that, but sure seems to and treats me WAY different than anyone else. Not that he is bad at all, but just seem to KNOW. 2nd thing that seems helping after 10+ years is reduce my expectations to miniscule improvements. They seem to occur. I think that reduces frustration occurring if setting expectation continually at gigantic steps that take monumental amounts of time to achieve. It is like expectation = result.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Like rlmtrhmiles said also.

                            Not to say lower your expectations, but just divide them up into little chunks that are easier to obtain. One day at a time.

                            I feel for you kk ... it's hard to fathom with all the world's technology that treatments aren't here already ... I expected this back in the 70s and 80's and maybe even the 90's ... but I really thought things would be better by 2000.

                            They are better I guess ... just not medically. YET.

                            I could always give you the advice my mother gave to me at 13 and newly paralyzed with immense maturity beyond my years: "If you talk sad all the time, no one will want to be your friend anymore."

                            So I bottled it all up ... and paid for it the hard way. I recently admitted that to a therapist and they were horrified anyone would say that - let alone my own mother. So don't follow that advice, lol.
                            Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

                            T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by lynnifer View Post
                              This exactly. My paralysis was non-traumatic, so no settlement and money probably makes it all better ... so I must work. Even if there had been any kind of settlement, I would have gone to school for a career (probably social work). Build something for the long-term.
                              Does Canada have anything like Voc Rehab?
                              I majored in Psych/Social Work with a minor in Business. I wish you could go back to school, you would love it and enjoy a career in the field.
                              Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X