Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AB's using handicapped stalls

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    AB's using handicapped stalls

    Man, it is getting tiring. Trying to go to the bathroom in a public place (airport tuesday) and stalls empty everywhere but someone is always taking a crap in the wheelchair accessible stall. It always happens.

    All I do is to murmur something about the lack of consideration for wheelchair users, and wheel on to the next bathroom. It frankly pisses me off right at the level of handicapped parking.

    Any creative way to handle this? Do we just put up with it just like we do with parkng placcard abuse?
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

    #2
    Unfortunately, I don't think there is much anyone can do about it. Just shake it off and don't let the little things bother you. There are other things in life to get stressed out about.

    Comment


      #3
      Write the airport about universal design and having more than one stall accessible to wheelchairs.
      Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

      T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

      Comment


        #4
        I just roll in to the door as if I'm opening it and didn't know anyone was in there. They can clearly see my wheels under the door and usually hurry and come out with apologies. I just say oh it's ok, I'm sure you needed it. Nothing else you can do.
        DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

        Comment


          #5
          You can force the door and shoot them dead. But then you have to get their dead ass out of the stall before you can use it. Or you can roll on and hope that the next accessible stall toilet isn't occupied by an inconsiderate asshole.
          Foolish

          "We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

          "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

          "Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

          Comment


            #6
            This topic has been beaten to death as of late. The apparelyzed site has to very active threads discussing this same issue.

            But to reply to he OP, we're all in that same boat. It totally sucks and I'm not sure what we can do about it other than complain to each other. Time and tiem again, people will just make excuses to justify it.
            It's just plain tiring.
            Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

            Comment


              #7
              When I roll in, if I see feet under the door, I say "wheelchair in the house, handicap stall get a move on". If they don't make any headway, I roll up to the door and sit there the rest of the time, you'd be amazed how many people can't shit when I'm sitting at their door.
              "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

              Comment


                #8
                I view it as karma. I was AB for 45 years and honestly never put much thought into it and crapped in the HC stall a lot. I would like to think if I had ever walked out of a stall and seen a person in a wheelchair I would have never done it again, but I never did so don't know.

                So when I see someone in a stall I just think Karma is a bitch and roll on to another bathroom (or wait if there isn't one)

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Crappler View Post
                  This topic has been beaten to death as of late. The apparelyzed site has to very active threads discussing this same issue.

                  But to reply to he OP, we're all in that same boat. It totally sucks and I'm not sure what we can do about it other than complain to each other. Time and tiem again, people will just make excuses to justify it.
                  It's just plain tiring.
                  Yeah, that and HC parking really seem to really push some folks buttons. Like to the extreme. Me, I think that life is too short to perseverate on these complaints. I spend my time advocating for more access. You do what you can. But there will always be people who don't get it or who know and don't care.
                  Foolish

                  "We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

                  "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

                  "Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Unlike HC parking, there is no exclusivity to using handicapped bathroom stalls. Their use does not require a permit; ABs can't get ticketed and fined for using them. As such, establishments can only put up signage requesting that the HC stall be reserved for those who need them, though I've never seen this, not even once.
                    stephen@bike-on.com

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Foolish Old View Post
                      Yeah, that and HC parking really seem to really push some folks buttons. Like to the extreme. Me, I think that life is too short to perseverate on these complaints. I spend my time advocating for more access. You do what you can. But there will always be people who don't get it or who know and don't care.
                      perseverate! You must be a terror at scrabble, that is the first word I have had to look up in a decade at least.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by offroaderswife View Post
                        I just roll in to the door as if I'm opening it and didn't know anyone was in there. They can clearly see my wheels under the door and usually hurry and come out with apologies. I just say oh it's ok, I'm sure you needed it. Nothing else you can do.

                        I think this is really good. McDuff's method is another option.

                        While it doesn't really improve the immediate situation, it will provide a memory for the wayward person that may change future behaviors.

                        I have also been given dirty looks by a wheelchair user and her husband while waiting for my mother, who was in the accessible separate bathroom. My mom was suffering from pancreatic cancer and couldn't sit or stand without using the grab bars in the toilet. She was also very weak in the arms, as her cancer had spread to the spine. But if you "looked" at her... she just looked like an AB once she was standing up. But sometimes I had to go into the bathroom to "rescue" her, and would stand close by in case she called out.

                        So while I was waiting for my Mother, the woman using a wheelchair and her husband rolled right up to me and just stared at me, shaking their head, sighing, and complaining to each other. I tried to say... "My mother is very weak... she is very sick..." but honestly, what can you say in this awkward brief interaction. It's not like I can pull out her MRI for them to see... And of course, I have felt their frustration before when I am with my para father.

                        It really made me feel bad.... Kinda sucked.

                        But I never forgot it!

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by hlh View Post
                          I think this is really good. McDuff's method is another option.

                          While it doesn't really improve the immediate situation, it will provide a memory for the wayward person that may change future behaviors.

                          I have also been given dirty looks by a wheelchair user and her husband while waiting for my mother, who was in the accessible separate bathroom. My mom was suffering from pancreatic cancer and couldn't sit or stand without using the grab bars in the toilet. She was also very weak in the arms, as her cancer had spread to the spine. But if you "looked" at her... she just looked like an AB once she was standing up. But sometimes I had to go into the bathroom to "rescue" her, and would stand close by in case she called out.

                          So while I was waiting for my Mother, the woman using a wheelchair and her husband rolled right up to me and just stared at me, shaking their head, sighing, and complaining to each other. I tried to say... "My mother is very weak... she is very sick..." but honestly, what can you say in this awkward brief interaction. It's not like I can pull out her MRI for them to see... And of course, I have felt their frustration before when I am with my para father.

                          It really made me feel bad.... Kinda sucked.

                          But I never forgot it!
                          In one of my previous lives, one of my duties was to manage the numerous parking lots at a State Capitol Complex. Most of the spots were rented to employees on a monthly basis. The most convenient spots were assigned first by influence and second to people with temporary or permanent disability. The second category had to present medical proof of their need. Both by personal knowledge of a person's situation and by examining the medical evidence, I learned of a great many people who had a legitimate claim to need an accommodation yet showed no outward sign of disability. It's made me more cautious of leaping to a judgment of other's needs.
                          Last edited by Foolish Old; 10 May 2013, 10:56 AM.
                          Foolish

                          "We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

                          "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

                          "Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by t8burst View Post
                            perseverate! You must be a terror at scrabble, that is the first word I have had to look up in a decade at least.
                            So, if that word gets you over in the next big money scrabble game you're in, break off a little sumpin' for a brother.
                            Foolish

                            "We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

                            "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

                            "Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Yeah HLH, you are right, I am waiting for the day that a true dis, just not a wheeler, comes out of the stall and gives me dirty looks or chews me out. Even if it is just a senior who needs the bars, and I'll feel like a turd.

                              But I'm almost 10 yrs in, and have yet to see anybody but an AB in there. bastards
                              "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X