AB's using handicapped stalls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elarson View Post
    Would this maybe be a good sign to have on the inside of HC stalls?
    Hell yes, IMO!
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Originally posted by DaleB View Post
      Hell yes, IMO!
      Glad you like it as a first try DaleB.

I think this topic is a real conumdrum, for both the HC and AB.

Anyone want to translate into other languages?

English: It’s okay to use it, but don’t forget about others, with no other choice.

Dutch: Het is oké te gebruiken, maar niet vergeet anderen, met geen andere keuze.

German: ?
      French: ?
      Spanish: ?
      Italian: ?
      etc....

This goes with the one I did for handicapped parking. I think there are a few other topics like this, like when something is suppose to be accessible, but it really is not, like ramps that are unusable, etc.
      Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Comment

My edit.

English: Before using this stall please consider those with no other choice.
        stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

If I were editing, aside from grammar, I'd change the frowny face to a smiley face.

It isn't a sad thing to ask for some consideration, nor should it be sad to give it!

Glad you like it as a first try DaleB.

I think this topic is a real conumdrum, for both the HC and AB.

Anyone want to translate into other languages?

English: It’s okay to use it, but don’t forget about others, with no other choice.

Dutch: Het is oké te gebruiken, maar niet vergeet anderen, met geen andere keuze.

German: ?
          French: ?
          Spanish: ?
          Italian: ?
          etc....

This goes with the one I did for handicapped parking. I think there are a few other topics like this, like when something is suppose to be accessible, but it really is not, like ramps that are unusable, etc.
          "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

I did a rough mock-up of some others I have wanted to make, as either signs or a small business card sized printout that can be handed to people.

I changed the design a bit to make them consistent. I know some of these are off topic, but have been mentioned in other posts.
            Last edited by elarson; 16 May 2013, 6:11 PM.
            Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Comment

I totally agree, but I think the face shows someone who might be desperate to use the loo! See my previous post images for all of them, so you can get an idea of the series with different emoticons (very rough drafts).

Some of the grammar is due to size restraints and being easily translated (I live in Europe). If enough of these were floating around, people would "get it" even if the grammar is bad, like most adverts you see (don't even get me started on that topic;-).

Originally posted by DaleB View Post
              If I were editing, aside from grammar, I'd change the frowny face to a smiley face.

It isn't a sad thing to ask for some consideration, nor should it be sad to give it!

Comment

The idea behind these is that they are all about context, and I think if someone were handed one under a stall or it was posted on the door, they would "get it". Same goes for the others.

I just did an update of the "not-accessible" sign, which I think could be used for many purposes where places think they are accessible, but they are not. Here in Europe we have no real consistent ADA, but many want to advertise that they are wheelchair accessible -- NOT!

Comment

I did a rough mock-up of some others I have wanted to make, as either signs or a small business card sized printout that can be handed to people.
                  They are great!

Better yet, print them as stickers to put on the doors of WC stalls!

When we get arrested for vandalism, we can complain if the jail doesn't have an accessible bathroom .

Originally posted by stephen212 View Post
                  My edit.

English: Before using this stall please consider those with no other choice.
                  Last edited by chris-k; 16 May 2013, 8:24 PM.

Comment

Since this is the current AB abusing HC stuff thread, I saw something today that left me speechless. I don't get worked up about HC stalls and ABs in HC spaces but this was over the top. Here in MN you get two blue tags when you apply for you HC parking permit. I saw what was obviously a family using two HC parking spaces and not one person I saw in the group seemed to have any mobility issues. They were just loading their stuff into two vehicles, studiously avoiding eye contact with me as I sat and stared at them.

Comment

Originally posted by t8burst View Post
                      Since this is the current AB abusing HC stuff thread, I saw something today that left me speechless. I don't get worked up about HC stalls and ABs in HC spaces but this was over the top. Here in MN you get two blue tags when you apply for you HC parking permit. I saw what was obviously a family using two HC parking spaces and not one person I saw in the group seemed to have any mobility issues. They were just loading their stuff into two vehicles, studiously avoiding eye contact with me as I sat and stared at them.
                      A few times I took out my crappy old flip phone, took a photo with the licese plate, then called the police. Guy and his wife eye me then drive off in a hurry. Gets better...

A few days later, cops call me back, saying "Sorry, that parking lot was private property. We can't do anything." WTF? Turns out HC spaces in the mall are considered "private."

Comment

They are private lots actually .. up to by-law officers and they are inundated with all kinds of things.
                        Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Ok- This is the last story. I was in a dressing room yesterday. The HC stall has a curtain on it and all the regular stalls have doors. I had a huge pile of clothers in there to try on so I was taking quite a while. This lady with a baby and a stroller opens the curtain and says oh I'm sorry as I'm covering myself and screaming. Then she stood there and said I have a stroller, how long are you going to be? I pointed at the stack of clothes and said it's going to be a while. She closed the curtain and walked down to a regular stall and said I guess we will just cram in to this one. I would have waited patiently if she were in there first since a stroller is a valid reason to go in there with a baby, but I have to admit I was quite annoyed at her urge for me to rush. I wish they had more than one big stall in every bathroom and place of business. Other people do have valid reasons to use them....I want my own stall every where I go DAMNIT!
                          DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

Comment

Originally posted by chris-k View Post
                            They are great!

Better yet, print them as stickers to put on the doors of WC stalls!

When we get arrested for vandalism, we can complain if the jail doesn't have an accessible bathroom .

I like sticker idea and think it would be great on all hp stall doors, well except without the brown face and just the wheelchair symbol. I think this would be a great idea because a lot of people when they use the big wheelchair stalls just don't have clue that we do not have many options other than one or two of those where as there are generally 20 or more regular stalls, well at least at airports. I'm just glad I don't have to deal with this issue anymore now that I've been off the intermittant cath program and just strickly leg bag the past few years. I use to get so frusterated dealing with this issue when I had to cath and really needed the hp stall and people would be so very inconsiderate, sometimes I would just let out a scream at the top of my lungs, surprised I never was committed, lol
                            "Life is about how you
                            respond to not only the
                            challenges you're dealt but
                            the challenges you seek...If
                            you have no goals, no
                            mountains to climb, your
                            soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

Today my mind was made up for me.
                              At the local VA we were in the lower level prosthetic area.
                              The only bathroom was unisex, one room with a changing table....

At the VA I dropped him off at the door and went to park. There are few spots to park there anyhow, especially van and ramp size ones.

Comment

Originally posted by chris-k View Post
                                A few days later, cops call me back, saying "Sorry, that parking lot was private property. We can't do anything." WTF? Turns out HC spaces in the mall are considered "private."
                                I'm pretty sure that's bullshit, because almost all parking lots are on "private" property, and the laws are enforceable by the police in that town, county, etc.

Handicapped parking spots are mandated by law in parking lots open to the public, and cops saying they can't enforce it is bullshit.

Comment

Working...
                                X