AB's using handicapped stalls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cass View Post
    because I had to wait in line. I am beginning to think you don't travel much. the lap comment was sarcastic. you, again, implied I allowed my toddler all over the toilet seat while absolving yourself of judgment in the same sentence. oh yeah, I await that big stall waiting for me. hardly. actually, it is usually empty, but that wasn't my point. why are you missing the point? changing tables are not needed in hc stalls. they aren't needed in stalls at all. just agree to disagree. btw, I find your comment on yrs disabled condescending. I am sharing my experiences w/o having to bring that up.
    Whether I travel or not has nothing to do with having to use public restrooms. They happen to exist in most developed parts of the world, in which I happen to live. While my original lap comment was not intended to be sarcastic, having to explain it might have been. I did not imply anything, you stated quite plainly that you sent your potty trained little boy into the stall by himself. Unless he had mastered the fine art of levitation, he had to physically encounter the toilet seat if left to climb up there on his own. I am not judging because I don't care what you expose your son to. And once again, I am not IMPLYING anything. Bit defensive, perhaps?

I am not missing your point, I just disagree with it - why are you missing that point? I PERSONALLY believe that extra space in those stalls should be available to anyone who needs it to take care of their toileting business, and that includes changing diapers and assisting small children.

I only mentioned years post, because you brought it up in your 1st post here - 27 years. And yes, glad you picked up on the condescension. I would just hope that after decades of dealing with SCI people would be more compassionate and instead of demanding accommodations strictly for their own subset of different needs, look round and see how others have similar needs for other reasons and how all could be accommodated.
    Last edited by alissa; 15 May 2013, 1:32 PM.
    "We must become the change we want to see in the world." Gandhi

Comment

I say put wheelchair detectors on all hp stalls, if the electronic detector does not detect a wheelchair, the door will not open to allow entry
      "Life is about how you
      respond to not only the
      challenges you're dealt but
      the challenges you seek...If
      you have no goals, no
      mountains to climb, your
      soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

I say, if everybody wants a bigger stall, make bigger stalls for everybody. Hell, pretty soon most of the population is going to be using a WC or a walker anyway. And grab bars are welcome by most everyone. If nothing else, they make a good place to rest your cocktail.
        Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Comment

A sense of umbrage laced entitlement is rarely a good thing. Seems a very inward and selfish waste of time. Everyone poops. There's enough victimization to go around already without self generating a sense of it when in the shitter. Sometimes ALL the stalls are full. Watcha gonna do?
          "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

I once had to confront a blonde girl giving her b/f oral sex in the HC stall at a rather nice restaurant/nightclub. She/they weren't in the least ashamed.

Reasonable access is a civil rights issue. What would happen if a black person couldn't get to the toilet? Or get inside a store without a lengthy wait?

Comment

I totally agree with your entitlement and victimization comment, i am the strongest self responsibility advocate. But I am also a strong believer in law and order. When there is a freaking sign, as there was in MIA, showing a wheelchair and asking people to leave the stall for disabled people, or something to that effect, I expect people to respect the rules.

This is not an entitlement or victimization issue.

Originally posted by DaleB View Post
              A sense of umbrage laced entitlement is rarely a good thing. Seems a very inward and selfish waste of time. Everyone poops. There's enough victimization to go around already without self generating a sense of it when in the shitter. Sometimes ALL the stalls are full. Watcha gonna do?
              T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

Comment

MrCoffee had to shit in a cup once. Quit your crying.

Comment

Who is crying?
                  T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by paramoto View Post
                    Who is crying?
                    No laughing matter I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Foolish Old View Post
                      I say, if everybody wants a bigger stall, make bigger stalls for everybody. Hell, pretty soon most of the population is going to be using a WC or a walker anyway. And grab bars are welcome by most everyone. If nothing else, they make a good place to rest your cocktail.
                      That's the answer. It would probably mean one or two less stalls, but what the hey, we can't access those missing stalls anyway.
                      I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

sigh. I give up. traveling means all kinds of bathrooms, including honey buckets, rest stops or the great outdoors, etc. and no, my potty trained little boy was not by himself. I sat in the doorway of the stall. he had the ability to put the seat protector down and sit on it. I don't understand your hostility. i'm out.
                        Last edited by cass; 16 May 2013, 1:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cass View Post
                          sigh. I give up. traveling means all kinds of bathrooms, including honey buckets, rest stops or the great outdoors, etc. and no, my potty trained little boy was not by himself. I sat in the doorway of the stall. he had the ability to put the seat protector down and sit on it. I don't understand your hostility. i'm out.
                          Yup.
                          I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

I agree with Cass baby changing tables should not be in the hc stall. Why not have the baby changing area away from the stalls? I don't like being treated different because of my chair but there are some things I can't change I need a big stall. Why does it seem like so many ab people want to be disabiled. They must want to be diabled since they want to use all our things stalls and parking spaces.
                            Last edited by elizabeth422; 16 May 2013, 2:31 AM. Reason: Spell check changed a word

Comment

Originally posted by elizabeth422 View Post
                              I agree with Cass baby changing tables should not be in the hc stall...
                              Me too. I am glad I've never seen one because my blood would have boiled over. Aside from what seems to me to be the obvious conflict of purposes there are definite defined distances that are supposed to be maintained. I wonder if these baby stations were added after the HC stall was drawn and approved.

Comment

you know what's great? the increase of baby changing stations in the men's room. also, if there were more unisex/family bathrooms that would help ease the burden but then you run into space issues. sometimes, businesses cannot create more space for their bathrooms, if they did, say it was a restaurat, they'd lose space to seat customers. which hurts their ability to make money.

also, toilets are actually the cleanest areas. clearly you wouldnt let your kid climb up when you can see excrement/blood/etc but it's interesting how the myth that you can catch some disease from the toilet seat still persists. also, small children can be taught to get the seat protector on their own or you as a mom carry antibacterial wipes with you and have them wipe the seat. i've done this and i've also had to change a baby's diaper on my lap
                                "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
                                http://www.elportavoz.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X