AB's using handicapped stalls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by McDuff View Post
    When I roll in, if I see feet under the door, I say "wheelchair in the house, handicap stall get a move on". If they don't make any headway, I roll up to the door and sit there the rest of the time, you'd be amazed how many people can't shit when I'm sitting at their door.
    This is good!
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

Comment

Never really bothered me. I just think that maybe the AB stall or stalls were occupied when they came in. When I was AB and had to crap really bad I would not hesitate to use the handicap stall if it was the only one available. Dang when you gotta go you gotta go.

Comment

Not all handicap people are on wheels while I would not qualify for a handicap parking spot and I would never use one and am grateful for that I do require the larger handicap bathroom since I self catheterize.

Only once have I ever encounted anyone waiting for that bathroom and they were snarky but then again I get snarky too.

My point is that while I look like I am in the wrong place I'm not.

Comment

If you're a dude use a urinal. Life's too short for modesty and shame.

Originally posted by brian View Post
          The great thing about extender tubes is that you can use urinals if some jackass is in the HC stall. Yeah, you're a little more exposed, but I threw my sense of shame out the window years ago. If people want to watch me shove a tube up my dick that's their problem.
          Originally posted by brian View Post
          It was born out of necessity: I really had to pee but some douche was in the HC stall and I was faced with a decision: use the urinal or use my pants. I chose to use the urinal and it changed my life.

It was weird the first handful of times, but I got used to it pretty quick. If anything, it's a reminder to anyone else in the room of what happens when the HC stall is being occupied by someone who doesn't need it. Guys come out of the HC stall while I'm at the urinal and sometimes mutter "sorry" as they exit. Once I was at a urinal and some guy finished in the HC stall, came out, saw me and stopped cold, and then he ran out of the restroom without washing his hands. Ew.
          But I bet it was the last time he used that stall.

Comment

I think the main reason ABs use the handicapped stall is because of the space and mainly for the sense of better sanitation/cleanliness, since by definition they are/should be used by fewer people.

When I was AB and had to do No. 2, I would almost always use the HC stall. But then again, I did not know what an inconsiderate prick I was being.

I dont buy all this info about invisible handicaps using stalls and parking spaces. Maybe 1 in a hundred that may be the case, and that one case is not the one that has many of us pissed off. The overwhelming majority of the time it is outright abuse. We have cameras everywhere now, maybe we can have cameras in the freaking parking spots, or a reporting mechanism with the resources in place to follow up on them. After all, they will be collecting bucketfulls of money from the fines.
            T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

Comment

Never gets old

Comment

Originally posted by McDuff View Post
                When I roll in, if I see feet under the door, I say "wheelchair in the house, handicap stall get a move on". If they don't make any headway, I roll up to the door and sit there the rest of the time, you'd be amazed how many people can't shit when I'm sitting at their door.
                That's kind of rude, just because you roll up in your wheelchair doesn't mean you get priority over someone who is not using a wheelchair. It's not like it's the wheelchair only stall, people with other disabilities need to use that stall too.

Whether there's other open stalls, or not when I roll into the bathroom and I notice the handicapped accessible stall is occupied, I knock on the stall door and announce that I'm in a wheelchair and that's the only stall I can use and then I ask them if they are going to be much longer. Usually when there's an able body person in the stall they usually get a move on and get out of there fairly quick and apologize on the way out.

Comment

I had a very bad back and could not get off the toilet without the grab bars but I never once saw a wheelchair in any public bathroom I needed. Still would have jumped up, been embarased and apologised.
                  C 5/6 Comp.
                  No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

If you have ever seen an AB using the HC stall and wished they could taste what its really like to be handicapped, then you got me.

I was that AB guy thoughtless using the HC stall. I was the guy you wished could see it from your side. You got me. (and honestly, it never crossed my mind as being thoughtless. I never saw a chair waiting on me once in the years I did it.)

But I hope you are happy now I am in a chair. Yeah, I got the SCI and I now I "get it". Loud and clear. Thanks! ...you handicapped muthers. Way to teach me lesson. ...I sure hope you feel better about yourselves....condemning me to spend the rest of my life catheterizing myself because you wanted some retribution....gee.....

Comment

My biggest pet peeve is stalls at airports and ski resorts where people seem to mistake them for changing rooms for themselves and their entire family-or the train station in Boston where people use them to sit and smoke.

Actually it is more than a pet peeve-it makes me really angry.
                      "Nothing ventured, nothing gained." - My Grammie

Comment

Just because someone is in an HC stall and others are empty does not mean that was the case when they went in there... sure people gravitate to that stall but you cannot know the circumstances for sure so we should not assume...If I have to pee I just pull up to a urinal and that is all I do in public.... It is nice if the HC is open but if not life is to short to wait IMO

Comment

I have been in so many bathrooms over 27 yrs. I have rarely run across anyone using a hc stall in a w/c. excuses, excuses. also, I hate when the only hc stall is marked baby changing. I once waited 15 minutes or more for an ab to change her baby. I was practically in dysreflexia by the time she came out. I will open my legbag on the floor before I do that again. I didn't find posted video very funny. ad is not funny.
                          Last edited by cass; 11 May 2013, 4:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DestinationUnknown View Post
                            That's kind of rude, just because you roll up in your wheelchair doesn't mean you get priority over someone who is not using a wheelchair. It's not like it's the wheelchair only stall, people with other disabilities need to use that stall too.

Whether there's other open stalls, or not when I roll into the bathroom and I notice the handicapped accessible stall is occupied, I knock on the stall door and announce that I'm in a wheelchair and that's the only stall I can use and then I ask them if they are going to be much longer. Usually when there's an able body person in the stall they usually get a move on and get out of there fairly quick and apologize on the way out.
                            Haha, I find about .02% difference in what I do and what you do. I make an announcement when I come in, then as next resort I THEN roll up to the door. You roll right up to the door, knock, and talk to the person who is quietly trying to take a shit. You for some reason think your "pressure" is nicer than mine. So be it.
                            "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Comment

Originally posted by aidan416 View Post
                              My biggest pet peeve is stalls at airports and ski resorts where people seem to mistake them for changing rooms for themselves and their entire family-or the train station in Boston where people use them to sit and smoke.

Actually it is more than a pet peeve-it makes me really angry.
                              My pet peeve is adaptive sports camps and abilities expos! Try to find and accessible stall when the place is full of wheelers
                              Adaptive Sports Forums.com
                              http://adaptivesportsforums.com
                              Non-commercial adaptive sports user community

Comment

Originally posted by cass View Post
                                I have been in so many bathrooms over 27 yrs. I have rarely run across anyone using a hc stall in a w/c. excuses, excuses. also, I hate when the only hc stall is marked baby changing. I once waited 15 minutes or more for an ab to change her baby. I was practically in dysreflexia by the time she came out. I will open my legbag on the floor before I do that again. I didn't find posted video very funny. ad is not funny.
                                Where do you think mom should change her baby? I may have been pitiless before becoming a mother, but parents with infants and small children need that extra room just as much as any wheelchair user. Would you send a toddler into a small stall by themselves?
                                "We must become the change we want to see in the world." Gandhi

Comment

Working...
                                X