No announcement yet.

Plans on Moving to FL from Chicago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First of all, I would like to thank all of you for your posts. I really appreciate it, the reason I picked Florida over Nevada is
    #1. I will be moving with my mother and she works at a grocery store called Aldi, She has been working there for over 10 years and plans to continue working there so she can keep her insurance and benefits.
    #2. It is harder to find a job in Las Vegas where I plan to move to. And it's a desert so they hot weather gets way too high in the summer.
    #3. We will be looking to rent a 2-3 bedroom house. Before we can buy anything.
    #4. I am basically stuck 24 hours at home in Chicago because of the weather. I will just love to go out on an 80° day and just spend some time outside.

I prefer heat than cold. I will be rather wear T-shirt and go into an air-conditioned room other than wear a Hoody and a hat While sitting next to the heater.
    I just have to find out about benefits like Medicaid and Medicare, what's covered? And what's not? Here in Illinois I don't have to pay a penny for medical bills.

If any of you guys have any more good information please add some, I really appreciate it. Thanks so much again guys
    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

Comment

While Florida has no income tax it does tax "intangibles" like stocks, bonds and annunities. If you have income from such sources or a trust based on these you should talk to a tax advisor before moving.

We just got back from Hollywood Beach and a sunburn I wasn't expecting. Nice days, cool nights but overly air conditioned hotel room. No matter how we played the thermostat the high seemed to be 72. In 2 weeks we'll throw the windows open and the A/C gets tapped over 80 to keep us at 78. Comfy because of all the windows and a nice breeze over the lake on the deck.

Oh, paratransit or accessible taxis tend to be centered on the airports or cruise industry. When we spent some time in Pensacola several years back I didn't see anything public and accessible.
      Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

Mac85,

the Orlando CIL will help answer all questions regarding the assistance you can apply for and FSCIRC is another place for good info.

https://www.cilorlando.org/
        http://www.fscirc.com/

Comment

do paras pay property tax in florida i thought i read somewere quads didnt but wasnt sure if paras did
          to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

Comment

I believe paras pay a portion same as other 'partially' disabled people. I don't write it I just repeat it...
            Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

Originally posted by wheelin 48 View Post
              do paras pay property tax in florida i thought i read somewere quads didnt but wasnt sure if paras did
              As I said in my first post, there is an income limit for paraplegics. It changes every year. If you meet the requirements you will be exempt from the ad valorem portion of your property tax in Florida.

Comment

I know this post already one year old but I am planning to move to Florida this year. I am looking to move to Port Orange Florida. Does anyone know how long would it take me to apply for a caregiver? I have Medicaid and Medicare. Are there any websites that could help me out? For you guys that live in Florida, how many hours a day or a week do you get A caregiver? Thanks a lot for all your responses

Comment

Be very careful. I have a friend who moved to FL from CA on MediCare/Medicaid, who had IHSS in CA, and she was expecting only a short wait for an attendant. 12 months later she still did not have one, and had been forced to live in a nursing home due to this for 8 months. She eventually got one, but the whole episode was a nightmare for her.

(KLD)
                  The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Do you know how many hours of care she gets a week?

Comment

Lake Mary, being in the center of the state, would not be subject to hurricane evacuations. Tornados do occur but are mild compared to the Midwest. Mobile home communities are most at risk.

Comment

Out of curiosity... Why Port Orange?
                        "Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and other people may not be able to tell the difference."

Comment

I went for a drive in Lake Mary - there are lots of subdivisions and I didn't like the city...

Comment

Out of curiosity... Why Port Orange?

Close to the beach, ocean breeze... Nice homes - I read reviews and they are all positive

Comment

I don't know if this'll help but check this link out

http://www.medicaid.gov/Medicaid-CHI...e/florida.html

Comment

Working...
                              X