Devastating news, Best childhood Friend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Devastating news, Best childhood Friend

My best friend from age 4 thru high school, and still very much in touch, is currently paralyzed from the chest down from complications of neck surgery. I can't believe it, I am stunned. This man has already had his share, degenerative everything and a new heart.

Only had an email from his wife stating the above so don't know much yet, he is at Cleveland Clinic getting C3-6 removed and rebuilt. I can only hope that this is some spinal shock that wears off, but who knows.

Damn it, this ain't right. Send some good thoughts please.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Hey

J~
    I am here to help, let me know how I can help.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Comment

WOW! So sorry to hear this for him. I'm sure he will need someone like you to lean on during this difficult time. Good thoughts for you and your friend!
      DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

Comment

Will do, damn, sorry to hear McD.
        Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
        Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Comment

This is just awful. Healing thoughts, definitely.
          MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Comment

I'm hoping it's spinal shock. You might call his wife and offer up your knowledge. I remember my stepmom being invaluable at learning about my insurance benefits, finding the best rehab it covered and getting me lined up for the next available bed. Even so, I arrived at rehab w/ a pressure sore. Every day in a regular hospital guarantees that outcome.

Also, just inform her that spinal shock is a thing. I think doctors suck w/ their horror of "false hope". What's horrifying is their promotion of no hope.

Hoping for the best.
            Blog:
            Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Comment

I hope beth is right about spinal shock.

Comment

Thanks Folks, I appreciate it.

Just talked to his wife, they had actually gone home(way southern Ohio) after surgery, his pain spiked to unbearable, 911, local hospitable had nothing for them, they Life Flighted him back to Cleveland Clinic. I asked if she got to go with him, no, she had to drive, said "well that sucked huh?", I got a laugh out of her, so that was good.

They found a blood clot(he had full movement so far) and went in and drained it. He woke up a quad, only trace movement in his arms, and nothing below that. Not sure what level the clot was.

They own a testing lab, so both are knowledgeable about terminology, so they know about spinal shock and such, and of course are hoping on that. He was asleep so will talk to him tomorrow.

This sucks.

Comment

McDuff, keep us posted as events unfold.

Wishing for the best.
                  The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
                  --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
                  ––Paul Nussbaum
                  usc87.blogspot.com

Comment

In my thoughts and prayers, McDuff. Tough situation, sorry.
                    get busy living or get busy dying

Comment

ugh, totally sucks
                      "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
                      http://www.elportavoz.com/

Comment

aww I hope he gets better. keep us updated.

Comment

Hope they had him chilled and added the MP. When my pain ended was when things stopped working level by level over 3 hours. His clot sounds a lot bigger. Light on the way!
                          Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

I talked to him. He had laminectomy(sp?) from C3-T1 and bone graft and plates/screws, etc. He was sent home without a collar, which blows me away, they told him what they had built was way stronger than a collar and wasn't needed.

He fell asleep on couch, head rolled to the side, he woke up in excruciating pain and by time he got to the bed, couldn't feel his feet, then his legs, then chest, by the time he was in the helo, he couldn't feel anything. His blood clot covered a few levels by the time they got to it.

Does anyone know anything about Dodd Hall at Ohio State University? That is where they are thinking of going. Their writeup on website sounds good. I went to school there decades ago, so I obviously like the school, just don't know about sci care there.

http://medicalcenter.osu.edu/rehabil...ges/index.aspx

Thanks for your thoughts everyone; he is scared, mad, confused, just like we all were at this point in time. There is a newly injured packet of info going to them thanks to Cheesecake, and I have pointed them to CC to start looking around.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your friend, McD. Cleveland and Columbus both have some first rate facillities and docs. Hoping for the best for all concerned.
                              Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Comment

Working...
                              X