Roses of Spring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    Beauti'ful, KLD. How many varieties do you have? Could we see a photo of your whole rose garden? My favorite has always been the J.F.K. Such a wonderful fragrance.
    I have 18 roses (all different) in raised beds in the back yard, and two in wine barrels on the front patio. I don't have a JFK, but the ones I posted range from Marilyn Monroe to Chihuly, Veterans' Honor to Black Magic, Peace, and St. Patrick and French Lace. Here is a picture of the overall back yard rose beds (raised beds I installed myself...I have awful clay soil otherwise). You can see two of the 3 raised beds here. You can see a peak of my tomato plants behind the roses too.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I gave up trying to grow either tea or floribunda roses in Maryland. If it wasn't black spot or a fungus then the gazillions of Japanese beetles would eat them. Yours are beautiful and you should try a JFK in its own container because of its beautiful scent. Love your Peace rose!

I am planning on container hydrangas back here in Wisconsin although a miniture bush rose might get a space...
      Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

AMAZING Thank you for sharing .

Comment

OMG where oh where do you live, i NEED to shoot in your garden!!!!!

ket
          Kindly,

The Ketamine Kitty

All the tears, all the pain, all the rage through the night (apolgies to the rewrite) RR

Next time I die make sure I'm gone,
          don't leave 'em nothing to work on JT

And I ain't nothin but a dream JM

Comment

Some more roses...having a banner year this year!

(KLD)
            The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

And some more...

(KLD)

Comment

Really love the red one KLD! I hope they smell as nice as they look.

Comment

Originally posted by chris-k View Post
                  Really love the red one KLD! I hope they smell as nice as they look.
                  That is one of the downsides of hybrids. Most have little or no fragrance. That is one of the reasons I loved my J.F.K. rose. When ever you went past it, you had to stop and take in the wonderful fragrance. Didn't need a reminder to "stop and smell the roses."
                  You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
                  http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
                  http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Comment

Actually, I shopped specifically for roses that had a good fragrance when I put in my beds. Walking out there this morning and deadheading, it was almost overpowering!! The bouquets I have in the house are also scenting the entire house.

(KLD)

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
                      Some more roses...having a banner year this year!

(KLD)
                      Very nice!

Thank you for sharing

Comment

Actually, I shopped specifically for roses that had a good fragrance when I put in my beds. Walking out there this morning and deadheading, it was almost overpowering!! The bouquets I have in the house are also scenting the entire house.

(KLD)
                        Have you ever been to the rose garden at the National Arboreteum in Washington DC? They have a lot of wonderfully scented specimen roses. They are out there but in many areas of the country you need to really look for those that will also thrive. The rose garden must have an army of gardners because that area is hard on the foliage and without leaves there are no flowers. The new landscape roses work in all that humidity but those have no scent at all. You are really lucky to have both the beauty and the scent with yours.
                        Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

Yes, I have visited that garden. Here in CA we have a great rose garden at Huntington Library and Gardens in San Marino, and in San Diego I do some work with the San Diego Rose Society, which maintains the Inez Grant Memorial rose gardens in Balboa Park for the city, including giving free pruning lessons every weekend in Jan. & Feb. annually. The garden is a very popular spot for weddings and other social events as well as just sitting, strolling or picnics:

(KLD)

Comment

Yes, I have visited that garden. Here in CA we have a great rose garden at Huntington Library and Gardens in San Marino, and in San Diego I do some work with the San Diego Rose Society, which maintains the Inez Grant Memorial rose gardens in Balboa Park for the city, including giving free pruning lessons every weekend in Jan. & Feb. annually. The garden is a very popular spot for weddings and other social events as well as just sitting, strolling or picnics:
                            (KLD)
                            Wow! What a beautiful spot!

Comment

Originally posted by chris-k View Post
                              Wow! What a beautiful spot!
                              Exactly! Next trip to San Diego that garden is on the list of things to see! Definitely better than the National Arboretum's Rose Garden.

Comment

Working...
                              X