No announcement yet.

Veteran paralysed by sniper bullet plans to starve himself to death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Out here in Oregon we have assessed suicide, but you have to have a diagnoses of death in the near future, to use it. But in Switzerland you can use assessed suicide even if you are not terminal. A women over there used assessed suicide to end her life, because she was in massive pain from arthritis all over her body, but was not terminal. And you can go to Switzerland as a tourist to use this service. Maybe he just needs to take a vacation to Switzerland, if he could handle the trip. Do you guys think that are assessed suicide law out here in Oregon should be changed to allow non terminal people, like this veteran?
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Comment

KLD, correct me if I am wrong but you only get placed in hospice care if you are deemed "terminal within 1 year".
      Every day I wake up is a good one

Comment

Originally posted by cheesecake View Post
        KLD, correct me if I am wrong but you only get placed in hospice care if you are deemed "terminal within 1 year".
        If it is done under Medicare, the criteria is less than 6 months life expectancy for hospice care.

(KLD)
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I noticed on the Daily Mail that someone wrote:

He should never give up. There are thousands of others like him who are in pain and confined for life to wheelchairs yet still manage to find courage, goodness and purpose with each new dawn. Hopefully, some of those men and women will see this news story and contact Tomas Young with their own stories of strength, hope and survival.
          - Cleo , Houston, 22/3/2013 16:09
          Click to rate Rating 8

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz2PF4gwFhx
          Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

So.....someone on here (not me) needs to write to this guy. He actually is not the only one out there dealing with these issues......it might actually make a difference....

Comment

Originally posted by MarkB701 View Post
            I noticed on the Daily Mail that someone wrote:

He should never give up. There are thousands of others like him who are in pain and confined for life to wheelchairs yet still manage to find courage, goodness and purpose with each new dawn. Hopefully, some of those men and women will see this news story and contact Tomas Young with their own stories of strength, hope and survival.
            - Cleo , Houston, 22/3/2013 16:09

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz2PF4gwFhx
            Undoubtably someone who does not personally live with a SCI...

(KLD)
            The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

his choice. I support and respect that.
              Bike-on.com rep
              John@bike-on.com
              c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
              sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

I respect his decision...chronic neurogenic pain, along with all the other affects of a spinal cord injury is tough to live with.
                I couldn't repeat his actions that he's taking to end his life... My good days still outnumber the bad ones & I'd worry what impact ending my life this way would have on my family.
                C4/5 incomplete, 17 years since injury

"The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” - Carlos Castaneda

"We live not alone but chained to a creature of a different kingdom: our body." - Marcel Proust

Comment

Well... the latest officer safety warning at work is not to approach a vehicle where someone is passed out without accessing the situation first thanks to ..

Hydrogen Sulfide

.. easily made with household chemicals. Apparently opening the car door can let out enough of a toxic waft to be fatal to the first responder. (The info stated it paralyzes the respiratory muscles and you die within 6 minutes).

I did not read the recipe as I was once so low that I considered slashing my carotid or a leg artery and bleeding out with a scalpel that I 'happened' to have.

Starving would be an awful way to go ... yet it happens to people everyday.
                  Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

A little bleach and ammonia mixed together will do it.
                    C 5/6 Comp.
                    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

I ran accross this last week and this really bums me out. Especially being that he goes to the same VA Hospital as me. I made a video response on YouTube to his announcement because it really bothers me. My ”urgent message” to him was to reconsider, to not become another suicide statistic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXQ_f...e_gdata_player

(if you watch it don't pay attention to how I look, or how I sound because I suck. also the camera was way too zoomed in and I look like Casper the ghost)

I mean 1 suicide every 65 minutes. Don't do it Tomas. I know life is really tough being paralyzed, and having a severe amount of pain. we both have that in common. I wish I knew how to get in touch with him, or at least he would see my message to him. I hope he will see my video but I know that's very unlikely.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyarmy64 View Post
                        I ran accross this last week and this really bums me out. Especially being that he goes to the same VA Hospital as me. I made a video response on YouTube to his announcement because it really bothers me. My ”urgent message” to him was to reconsider, to not become another suicide statistic.

(if you watch it don't pay attention to how I look, or how I sound because I suck. also the camera was way too zoomed in and I look like Casper the ghost)

I mean 1 suicide every 65 minutes. Don't do it Tomas. I know life is really tough being paralyzed, and having a severe amount of pain. we both have that in common. I wish I knew how to get in touch with him, or at least he would see my message to him. I hope he will see my video but I know that's very unlikely.
                        I think he's tired, let's let him go. He's done some good things here, he'll be missed.
                        A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child

Comment

We're all tired. I know damn sure I am. I'm not the type of person to ”let him go”. It's also not as if I am putting pressure on him or something. There's an epidemic of veteran suicide in this country right now. 1 every 65 minutes. So of course I'm going to encourage my brother to hang in there.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
                            Undoubtably someone who does not personally live with a SCI...

(KLD)

Doesn't make them wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyarmy64 View Post

FACK yeah...!! That is exactly what I was talking about. GOOD JOB on putting that out there man - perfect. You did what you could, and what few others could do. And my thoughts are with you and your struggles too man.

Comment

Does he have children?

Comment

Working...
                                X