A generation of idiots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A generation of idiots?

The photos posted below caught my eye because it reminded me of the scene at a restaurant a few days ago where my wife and I were having lunch. Seated at the next table was a party of six. Two were recruits from nearby Fort Jackson, two were young women who maybe were their girlfriends, and two older women who were likely their mothers. These family get togethers are common around here when recruits get a precious pass. From the moment they were seated all except one of the older women pulled out their smart (?) phones and were totally consumed. The other poor woman was left staring into space. My wife and I noticed her and felt sorry for her being left alone. When their meals came, things did not change much. The five would take a bite or two and then tend to their phones. Hardly a word was spoken. The woman without a phone did make a few attempts at conversation that elicited brief answers so she gave up and quietly ate her meal. If she had been sitting on the end near our table I would have invited her to join us or at least engage in some small talk across the aisle. It was unbelievably rude of those five. And I thought to myself, “what precious together time they are wasting. Those two guys could soon be shipped off and come back in a box.” It is sad that their lives were being wasted while still living. My rant for the day. Now I am going back to watching the webcam focused on the Sistine Chapel smokestack. lol

You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Great post 55, I agree and I'm one of the idiots. These high tech smart phones are addicting, I got a new Galaxy S3 recently and can't put it down.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

I guess thats life, on a 3 inch screen.
      T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Comment

What is sad commentary. If only those people knew what they were missing.
        Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

Comment

Love your post 55. I am on my phone way too much but my husband and I have a rule that is carried over from my childhood. When we eat meals we do not have the TV or cell phones on. We sit at our dining room table for every at home meal and we converse. It is uninterrupted time that we do not take lightly. My stepdaughter is 16 and this is her favorite rule when she is at our house. They eat on the fly or in front of the TV at her house. She loves family dinners at the table and is more than willing to leave her iPad and phone in her bedroom for it.
          DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

Comment

I saw an article a while back that suggested a wager of sorts. When out to dinner or drinks, pile all the phones on the center of the table. The first one to pick theirs up before the check comes pays the tab.

Your post is so true. I visited my sister last fall and her teenager barely looked up from her phone the whole weekend.

I'm not as connected as some are. I may get three or four calls and as many emails in a week. Texts are a couple a month. I don't like being overloaded with too much information.

As a general rule, unless I want to share a picture, I won't use a smart device unless it is an occasion that would be appropriate for me to pull a book out and read. I'd rather have that precious time enjoying another's company. I'm alone enough as it is.
            Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.

Comment

Thirty years ago when I first was hurt, I went back to school. At a college math class the instructor put a simple math problem on the board. It was something like 3x4. Everyone in the class immediately dropped their heads to operate their calculators.
              I volunteer in the national parks. I've seen motor homes pull in, close their blinds, fire up the generator and sit inside for the weekend, while buffalo grazed next to them.
              duh?

Comment

In this case Im wondering that ´´smartphones´´ and other great inventions exists and a cure for sci dont........I mean when somebody told me 20 years ago there will be a smart phone and mobile internet I wouldn´t believe or even dream of this kind of things........

Comment

I am all in with you here good sir.

Comment

But, don't all of you know it is the over 60s and 70s crowd (from a thread here a few days ago)...
                    /forum/showthread.php?t=217297&page=2

Originally posted by brian View Post
                    Doesn't surprise me. Was the usher older? While annoying and condecending, there's an entire generation of people who are ignorant about a lot of things; disability, homosexuality, race equaluty, etc. Soon enough they'll all die off and we'll live in a more understanding world.
                    I don't like to pit the generations against one another, but I just couldn't resist this once. Besides, I had an unfortunate failure of my Roho cushion (two hours into a 4 hour car trip to a funeral-spontaneous leak in cushion with only the Roho pump and stopping every 30 minutes to pump up the cushion, of course turned around and came home--argghhh!!!) that has put me in bed with all pressure off for a time, and I am a bit owly!

All the best,
                    GJ

Comment

Yah, you'll think twice about owning a cell/smart phone once an eighteen year old girl hits you head on driving 100% in your lane in a Ford Explorer talking and a cell phone and totaling your van for you with only 22,000 miles it.

Ti
                      "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Comment

What really scares me is the touch screen interfaces and if you could get texting, internet on them while driving. I just got off the phone with apple and found out the damn phone can sense if someone has upgraded their phone and that's why the text is in a different color box. The poor idiot was computer smart and taking welding classes, at least I could give him pointers on that and we had a nice talk, the brats father is younger than me. Joke is he doesn't even own Apple products, and you work for them, and know all this s*&t?????

Comment

At thanksgiving this year the room was full of every age group from 17-70 seemed like a normal family gathering until after dinner i looked up and 18 of the 25 people in the room faces were lit up from the white light of their "smart phones" for the next 30 minutes!! no after dinner chit chat just an almost eerie quiet... I thought to myself how sad

Comment

Originally posted by IsMaisin View Post
                            I saw an article a while back that suggested a wager of sorts. When out to dinner or drinks, pile all the phones on the center of the table. The first one to pick theirs up before the check comes pays the tab.
                            Yup. The "Phone Stack."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...rticle2296118/

Comment

I really think the gov. has to make it mandatory that all phones shut down functions when the gps sensor sense motion, too many people having accidents driving either while talking or texting. My car does this with the GPS, I think that's a good thing, you can't enter in anything when the vehicle is in motion.
                              "Life is about how you
                              respond to not only the
                              challenges you're dealt but
                              the challenges you seek...If
                              you have no goals, no
                              mountains to climb, your
                              soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

Working...
                              X