Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shit people say to the disabled

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Shit people say to the disabled

    I don't know if this has already been posted but I thought I'd share because I can't stop watching it. What are some of the craziest things able bodied people have said to you?

    https://www.youtube.com/embed/SjTohfG7n5g

    #2
    The worst thing anyone can say is a sentence with the word 'inspirational' in it.

    I hate when people offer to help and then get all pissed when I say no thanks. Like when I'm disassembling my chair and putting it in my car and some random person comes by, offers help (which I decline), and then proceeds to "help" anyway can scratches my car with my chair.

    But my BIGGEST pet peeve is when AB's camp out in the handicap accessible stall for what seems like hours when all of the other stalls are open...and then give me the stink eye on their way out.
    Last edited by msummer99; 28 Feb 2013, 5:21 PM.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by msummer99 View Post
      The worst thing anyone can say is a sentence with the word 'inspirational' in it.
      Agreed. A almost vomit when I here "you're such an inspiration" I always ask "for what"

      Comment


        #4
        There are so many things people say. I don't get sensitive about it but its nice having threads like this to vent to people who "get it". AB's annoy me the most at the grocery store. I carry a laundry basket on my lap and pile my groceries in there and then stack the bags back in the basket and slide the basket in to the cargo space in my car. Works perfectly. It never fails, every time I'm at the store shopping, minding my own business an AB comes up to me in a panic and says "OMG, let me go get you a cart". I always decline and say no thank you, this works for me. Sometimes they insist and I have to explain why the hell pushing a cart doesn't work for me since MY HANDS ARE BUSY PUSHING MY CHAIR! AB's don't get that pushing a cart and my chair doesn't work. So annoying.

        "Inspirational" is totally annoying.

        I also hate it when they say "who drove you here" or "I'm so glad you were able to get out today".
        DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

        Comment


          #5
          On seeing my clawed-up tenodesis-only right hand holding a microphone at a rally: "That hand must be perfect for hand jobs." *leering smirk, we're all in this together wink*

          Bitch, that is my right hand. I was right-handed. It is a painful appendage, hurts like a mofo. We are not in this together. If we were you would know I mourn its loss as a tool of great utility. That loss of function is not compensated by your perception of it as a nifty sexual aid.

          I repeat: That is my HAND, you clueless 2 handed AB able-ist twit. And if you had a penis I would not give you a handjob with Ray Lewis' hand because you are a clueless twit that deserves no sexual gratification. Ever.

          2nd Runner UpParaphrased from the comment section of the WSJ. I should NEVER read the comments!) The ADA has only reinforced America's descent into a nanny state. Disabled peope claim to want equality but they really want special privileges. It is ppl like you that have caused all Americans to believe they are entitled to a handout.Nobody is entitled; you should have worked hard so you would be successful, like me. You should stand in line like everyone else at the airport. I don't care that clearly your wheelchair will trigger metal detectors. You probably didn't even lpay for that wheechair anyway. I did, with my tax dollars. I am sorry about your son's quadripegia but it's not my problem that he can't access the toilet. I have my own problems. I take care of my problems so you shoud take care of yours. Now get out of the way b/c I need to pee, then I have a flight to catch. And I don't care that you can only use the h/c toilet. That is just you wanting special treatment because of your 'DISABILITY" again. I am using the h/c toilet now b/c I got here first. I need to have a convo on my cell phone. I did too much coke and sweated thru my button-up shirt and need to change shirts. Do you see now? I HAVE MY OWN PROBLEMS!

          (This guy I WOULD give a handjob w/ Ray Lewis' hand. The one with a knife in it.)
          Blog:
          Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

          Comment


            #6
            Its not what people say its some of the people that have said it. Doctors, nurses, PT, OT.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by betheny View Post
              On seeing my clawed-up tenodesis-only right hand holding a microphone at a rally: "That hand must be perfect for hand jobs." *leering smirk, we're all in this together wink*

              Bitch, that is my right hand. I was right-handed. It is a painful appendage, hurts like a mofo. We are not in this together. If we were you would know I mourn its loss as a tool of great utility. That loss of function is not compensated by your perception of it as a nifty sexual aid.

              I repeat: That is my HAND, you clueless 2 handed AB able-ist twit. And if you had a penis I would not give you a handjob with Ray Lewis' hand because you are a clueless twit that deserves no sexual gratification. Ever.

              2nd Runner UpParaphrased from the comment section of the WSJ. I should NEVER read the comments!) The ADA has only reinforced America's descent into a nanny state. Disabled peope claim to want equality but they really want special privileges. It is ppl like you that have caused all Americans to believe they are entitled to a handout.Nobody is entitled; you should have worked hard so you would be successful, like me. You should stand in line like everyone else at the airport. I don't care that clearly your wheelchair will trigger metal detectors. You probably didn't even lpay for that wheechair anyway. I did, with my tax dollars. I am sorry about your son's quadripegia but it's not my problem that he can't access the toilet. I have my own problems. I take care of my problems so you shoud take care of yours. Now get out of the way b/c I need to pee, then I have a flight to catch. And I don't care that you can only use the h/c toilet. That is just you wanting special treatment because of your 'DISABILITY" again. I am using the h/c toilet now b/c I got here first. I need to have a convo on my cell phone. I did too much coke and sweated thru my button-up shirt and need to change shirts. Do you see now? I HAVE MY OWN PROBLEMS!

              (This guy I WOULD give a handjob w/ Ray Lewis' hand. The one with a knife in it.)
              OMG, I cant believe that came out of someones mouth.
              Every day I wake up is a good one

              Comment


                #8
                I'm largely immune to people's questions and comments, not all of which I necessarily find offensive or off-putting. If you get upset by these things -- and, sorry, there is choice in the matter -- you're going to be in for a very long and bumpy ride. People are people and that includes us. Shit is dripping out of peoples' mouths constantly. When are you/we going to stop paying such close attention? When are you/we going to decide not to be anticipating and ready to pounce at the next perceived insult? It's not healthy to be a half-picked scab ready to be peeled raw again by someone's less-than-enlightened or flat-out idiotic remark. Besides, are we all SO sensitive to and SO informed about other peoples' suffering? Hey, not to go full-on Buddhist here, but cultivating self-compassion (first) and then compassion for those we deem benighted helps ease the suffering (ours first, then theirs). Suffering is a psychological add-on to genuine pain.

                Now using the wheelchair stall in the bathroom or taking up the HC parking spot is another matter altogether. These people should be put down.
                Last edited by stephen212; 28 Feb 2013, 6:14 PM.
                stephen@bike-on.com

                Comment


                  #9
                  Life is suffering my man. See you in the bardo.

                  Originally posted by stephen212 View Post
                  I'm largely immune to people's questions and comments, not all of which I necessarily find offensive or off-putting. If you get upset by these things -- and, sorry, there is choice in the matter -- you're going to be in for a very long and bumpy ride. People are people and that includes us. Shit is dripping out of peoples' mouths constantly. When are you/we going to stop paying such close attention? When are you/we going to decide not to be anticipating and ready to pounce at the next perceived insult? It's not healthy to be a half-picked scab ready to be peeled raw again by someone's less-than-enlightened or flat-out idiotic remark. Besides, are we all SO sensitive to and SO informed about other peoples' suffering? Hey, not to go full-on Buddhist here, but cultivating self-compassion (first) and then compassion for those we deem benighted helps ease the suffering (ours first, then theirs). Suffering is a psychological add-on to genuine pain.

                  Now using the wheelchair stall in the bathroom or taking up the HC parking spot is another matter altogether. These people should be put down.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    "Can you have Sex"
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYTnl...FDC12B1B8CFC85
                    "Life is about how you
                    respond to not only the
                    challenges you're dealt but
                    the challenges you seek...If
                    you have no goals, no
                    mountains to climb, your
                    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

                    Comment


                      #11
                      the comments don't bother me. What I can't shake is the look that some (I think) Middle Eastern, South Asian shopping tourists give me at the megamall. It's a combination of contempt and revulsion. They have no problems staring.

                      I'm no brad pitt, but geeze. I avoid going there when it's busy and full of bargain hunting foreigners. I know I should have a thicker skin, gimp 101 is just get on with your life. But, I'm still going to avoid being uncomfortable if I can help it.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Oh that's a good one. 1st solo trip out of rehab to get a CT scan at a nearby hospital. I'm such a noob I'm still dripping behind my ears. Other guy in room is injured 6 mo's, quad gunshot black kid.

                        Receptionist (I'll call her R) Snaps gum rolls eyes, hands us both pens and clipboards.

                        Me: (Confusion. Shrug. Put pen in mouth and try to fill out paperwork LOL. NOT legible.)

                        Other guy (I'l call him OG although he's maybe 23) Ma'am, I can't fill this out. I'm a quadriplegic and my hands don't work.

                        R: Shrugs, snaps gum.

                        Me: Still w/ the mouth pen.

                        Some time later...

                        R: Are you 2 finished w/ your paperwork.

                        Me: Nod proudly. I have indeed scribbled illegibly all over paper w/ my mouth.

                        OG: No ma'am. My hands don't work.

                        R: Audible sigh of disgust. Shrug. It's not like she really gives a shit, obvs.

                        She directs us to the next room. I struggle, between c-collar, ill-fitting loaner chair, v. weak post-sci muscles. OG does pretty well. No C-collar, new chair, clearly worked hard in rehab.

                        R looks at OG. He's wearing chains, like the cool black kids of the late-90's to early 2000's did. They aren't long enough to pul over his head. They'll have to be unfastened.

                        R: That jewelry has to come off. You can put it in that locker over there.

                        OG: I'll need assistance. I'm a quadriplegic. My hands don't work.

                        R: (OK, she's over this shit. She is out of there. She has gum to chew and clients to snarl at. Exit stage right.)

                        Enter X Ray Tech, aka XRT. Appears to be a pro not some bored gum chewer. Points at OG.

                        XRT: Why are you wearing jewelry. It has to come OFF.

                        OG: I'l need some help. I'm a quadriplegic. My hands don't work.

                        XRT: Heavy sigh. To her credit, she de-chains OG and puts his bling in the locker. Then she blows it completely.

                        XRT to OG quite sternly and brooking no more of this needy quad nonsense: Well I certainly hope you can at LEAST get yourself on the TABLE!

                        OG:I'll need some help. I'm a quadriplegic. My legs don't work...

                        OG was righteous. He had clearly been raised to be mannerly, even to outright idiots.

                        Remember, this was my 1st solo outing. I'd been sent from rehab w/ no caths. But I was in a hospital in one of the world's largest medical complexes. How hard could it be? V. hard indeed. They wouldn't give me a cath. In their defense, I coudn't have used it if they had. Such a noob.

                        One day, maybe 30 min. that felt like 30 days later, the bus showed up to take us back to rehab. That was my v. 1st case of AD. Turns out you really HAVE to pee.

                        Later I went down to the gym. That was the last time I ever saw OG. He was beating the f**k out of EVERYTHING. He was calm on the surface but his pride had taken some hits from some morons that day.

                        So this story is about a HOST of idiotic AB's. From the rehab that sent ne w/ no cathing plans to the employees that dealt w/ sci's from tirr at least weekly but likely daily, but still handed us paperwork and told us to climb on tables. It felt like they wanted to put us in our place. They didn't want us getting uppity. We were quads, 2nd class citizens, and the sooner we learned the better. I think they did teach OG to keep his temper for the gym. I'm stubborn as a goat though. I was already on 1st-name basis w/ the admin at tirr b/c I'd worked in health care all my life. I already kinew "Document, document, document." I'dalready established myself as a squeaky wheel and the admin liked that.I had the name and dept of every idiot I dealt w/ that day. Before closing time the admin at tirr had their names and departments as well
                        Blog:
                        Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

                        Comment


                          #13
                          good story B

                          Comment


                            #14
                            When anyone says, "I know how you feel."

                            Comment


                              #15
                              people tell me about their ailments. strangers.

                              or they ask Whats wrong with your legs? there is the usual can you feel anything down there? I expected my friends to ask about my sexual abilities. not total strangers.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X