Reply: "Good lawyer"!

Question: "Why are you in that wheelchair?"
    Reply: "It's the best one I have."

Question: "What's wrong with you."?
    Reply: "My poor impulse control and violent nature."
    Good ones, thanks for the ammo.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Comment

I think the stares bother me the most. My father is 70, so he gets gawked at the most by other seniors. It amazes me how rude they can be.... openly staring, shaking their heads sadly, and talking about him just out of hearing.

But my father doesn't have a single complaint about what others say to him. I think he is grateful and charmed anytime someone speaks to him, no matter how silly/condescending their comments might be. He doesn't even notice... He tries his best to make pleasant replies. The last thing he wants is for others to think of him as being different, unpleasant or expecting special treatment. Instead, I'm the one that tries to educate...

Of course, the vast majority of the time, no one even "sees" him, so this isn't an issue.

Comment

I got injured in 93 para post 20 years. I was in a relationship when I got injured it didn't work out! So a few months of being single I was like ok time to venture out with this new wheelchair shit and see if women will be attracted to me. I had a few bottles of liquid courage and went to a local country bar called Group Therapy! I didn't know what to expect I rolled in the place is packed, I see this one open spot where the waitresses put in there order. I see these two women chatting to my left they were loud and I could tell they were drunk and a couple of cowboys to the right. So I roll up the friendly bartender looks down at me what will you have dear? I give her my drink the conversation sparked a turn around by the drunk lady to my left. She didn't look half bad, she leaned over drink in her had and spelled little on my pants. She said your cute then turned back around. So the bartender brings me my drink I pay her the drunk lady turns back around and your cute then glances down at the chair. Dam your cute but in a chair what a waste!!! I was saying to myself dam really, so I grabber her shirt she turned back around and I aid you know what before the night is through your going to be all over me, she smiled and turned back around. So I spent the night dancing all night in my chair having a great time. Sure enough I see that lady walking all over the bar looking around. Boom she saw me I was like oh dam here it goes. She was like there you are my little hottie I have been looking for you all night. She stumbles and trys to sit on my lap and almost falls out and I said what did I tell you!!! Hehe Life is what you make it!!

Comment

Originally posted by stephen212 View Post
          It's not healthy to be a half-picked scab ready to be peeled raw again by someone's less-than-enlightened or flat-out idiotic remark. Besides, are we all SO sensitive to and SO informed about other peoples' suffering?
          Touche. Our own reactions can be more damaging than anything else.

What did the Dalai Lama say to the pizza man? "Make me one with everything."

Comment

Since my ears are practically useless, I not really get anything. I do however often respond, "I hope you can run faster than I can push this chair. If not I will just run you over!"

Comment

I was actually supposed to go on a date the evening I got in accident. First time meeting lady. This was at my house. She ended up meeting my mother and found out about my accident. She met my dog first. She did meet me in ICU in a coma.

Originally posted by nmireles View Post
              I got injured in 93 para post 20 years. I was in a relationship when I got injured it didn't work out! So a few months of being single I was like ok time to venture out with this new wheelchair shit and see if women will be attracted to me. I had a few bottles of liquid courage and went to a local country bar called Group Therapy! I didn't know what to expect I rolled in the place is packed, I see this one open spot where the waitresses put in there order. I see these two women chatting to my left they were loud and I could tell they were drunk and a couple of cowboys to the right. So I roll up the friendly bartender looks down at me what will you have dear? I give her my drink the conversation sparked a turn around by the drunk lady to my left. She didn't look half bad, she leaned over drink in her had and spelled little on my pants. She said your cute then turned back around. So the bartender brings me my drink I pay her the drunk lady turns back around and your cute then glances down at the chair. Dam your cute but in a chair what a waste!!! I was saying to myself dam really, so I grabber her shirt she turned back around and I aid you know what before the night is through your going to be all over me, she smiled and turned back around. So I spent the night dancing all night in my chair having a great time. Sure enough I see that lady walking all over the bar looking around. Boom she saw me I was like oh dam here it goes. She was like there you are my little hottie I have been looking for you all night. She stumbles and trys to sit on my lap and almost falls out and I said what did I tell you!!! Hehe Life is what you make it!!
              Last edited by rlmtrhmiles; 1 Mar 2013, 3:21 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Crazy story

Originally posted by rlmtrhmiles View Post
                I was actually supposed to go on a date the evening I got in accident. First time meeting lady. This was at my house. She ended up meeting my mother and found out about my accident. She met my dog first. She did meet me in ICU in a coma.

So what ever happened to that lady, you guys go out later?

Comment

Originally posted by wheeliecoach View Post
                  I know I have to have a thick skin and I laugh it off...but really...it is annoying to say the least.
                  I feel you. After a million times hearing the same thing, it really starts to dig in. The kicker is if you lash out (even politely), you're just bitter.
                  Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

Comment

You know the old saying about how you don't have to be faster than a Bear chasing you in the woods, you just have to be faster than your hiking buddy?

It is amazing how often I get invited on hikes now.
                    Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.

Comment

Hahaha! My buddy is determined to get me on the back of a motorcycle. I'm wonder for whose sake, yours or mine?

Comment

Originally posted by stephen212 View Post
                        "Hey slow down or you'll get a speeding ticket."
                        i've only been injured for less than half a year and i can't even count how many times i've heard that. someone said that to me just today! i don't really get offended by it though, i figure if i could still run that phrase would have a negative connotation instead of being a joke.
                        T6 incomplete - 14 october 2012

Comment

One of my least favorite comments is the old "don't run me over". This implies that I don't have the ability to control myself. FRAK!
                          I always follow up the comment with "don't run ME over". They never get it.
                          Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

Comment

I was in hospital 5-1/2 years. In coma almost 6 months. Was told she used to go and sit in ICU, I guess just looking at me. Am told I did actually meet here when woke from coma, but not remember any. Lady often went to my mother's house and did things with her, before coming to hospital.

Originally posted by nmireles View Post
                            So what ever happened to that lady, you guys go out later?

Comment

Originally posted by betheny View Post
                              Most of those bs comments I can shine right on. Asking if you get SSI is WAY out of line, and what I'm ranting about. Maybe I'm oversensitive but I think that's ppl assuming you're a leech on society.

At best, it is wayyyy inappropriate to ask strangers about their income!
                              I was only asked that question once, and I was definitely taken back by it. I told them that whether I got it, or not it's none of their business.

Comment

Here's my example of clueless nimrods vs. the disabled...

Across the street is a guy renting who is participating in one of those alternative energy pyramid schemes, selling electric service alternatives to the regional provider.

One day he hits me up with the sales pitch where I listen and basically tell him that if the bill is under $100 I really don't care and I'm not interested. He then starts hammering me with how I should work for this scheme with bullet points of how I can work over the phone, not have to worry about sick days, and a bunch of other 'disabled' stereotypes. I tell him I have too much going on already and I'm not interested. He then hits me with an accusatory 'what are you doing now', with a tone that I am some sort of deadass.

Mind you that all this time listening to his sales pitch I'm sitting there with a corporate polo shirt emblazoned with the corporate logo and name on it. So after the 'deadass' accusation, I just point to the logo. He then shuts down with a 'oh shit, I just made an ass out of myself, didn't I?' look on his face.

For good measure in the following conversation, I tossed in a 'so is that like Amway?' into the mix. Funny seeing the look on his face when I said that .

But yeah, gotta love the pre-conceived notions of the disabled. I get this shit all the time, usually from someone that typically I would think of as a member of the 'less-than' spectrums of society. I have a theory that they need to develop a crutch to prove to themselves that they are better off than someone else and the disabled are a fine target to use

Comment

Working...
                                X