Shit people say to the disabled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cass View Post
    at a gas station not far from my house I always filled up as they did it even though they were alone. then one asked me, after yrs of seeing my boeing badge, how much do they pay secretaries anyway? I stared at him, said I dunno, i'm an engineer. I am tired of the fight.

I know i'm not only one out there (and oh yeah, as f ab engineer I put up with a lot). i'm just sharing why i'm tired.
    I would have hard a hard time not letting out a deep belly laugh while responding that you were an engineer. No way I can help but laughing when people say things like this.

I'm a 51 year old white guy. A good friend of my mother was an engineer at Chance Vought back starting back in the 50s or 60s. So I grew seeing that as normal.

You say you are tired of the fight. I say that you won. Because of you and others, the war is largely over. Just some dinosaur (Archie Bunkers) left to become extinct.
    Adaptive Sports Forums.com
    http://adaptivesportsforums.com
    Non-commercial adaptive sports user community

Comment

Hi

first my standard intro - sorry for my poor english :-)

Few month ago i went in a motorcycle shop because i need a new accu 12V 16Ah
      The salesman asked "Ist it for a electric wheelchair" My answer "No, it is for my aircraft"
      The face was undescribably, especially when he remarked that it was true.

I have a sport pilot license and fly a italian Jetfox

Comment

Originally posted by cass View Post
        at a gas station not far from my house I always filled up as they did it even though they were alone. then one asked me, after yrs of seeing my boeing badge, how much do they pay secretaries anyway? I stared at him, said I dunno, i'm an engineer. I am tired of the fight.

I know i'm not only one out there (and oh yeah, as f ab engineer I put up with a lot). i'm just sharing why i'm tired.
        Sometimes I have a hard time not responding to a strait line- I would have told him I was a crash tester.
        Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.

Comment

Leaving church this morning I was in line behind a guy with walking cast on both ankles and using a walker, caught myself thinking how I hate to get behind a gimp. But hey, my leg bag was about to bust and he was between me and the restroom.

Comment

Actually, I really don't mind copping a bit of friendly ribbing about being in a chair.

Like, at a funeral recently my brother and his pal gave me a bit of a ribbing about how I should accessorise my chair....you know really stupid over the top stuff like, i should paint flames on the side, have a bell off of a bicycle, have those really long orange fluro sticks with the little orange flag on the end and my brother's pal even suggested I put a sticker with "if the chair is rockin'...".

It was funny because i also found it funny and i knew they meant no harm...jesus, i was encouraging it by suggesting i had a replica Michael Schumacher helmet on order from ebay, so i could wear it next time I went to the pub.
            "The problem with self improvement is knowing when to quit." "Diamond" David Lee Roth.

Comment

Originally posted by WahWah View Post
              Actually, I really don't mind copping a bit of friendly ribbing about being in a chair.

Like, at a funeral recently my brother and his pal gave me a bit of a ribbing about how I should accessorise my chair....you know really stupid over the top stuff like, i should paint flames on the side, have a bell off of a bicycle, have those really long orange fluro sticks with the little orange flag on the end and my brother's pal even suggested I put a sticker with "if the chair is rockin'...".

It was funny because i also found it funny and i knew they meant no harm...jesus, i was encouraging it by suggesting i had a replica Michael Schumacher helmet on order from ebay, so i could wear it next time I went to the pub.

Yep, I don't mind the wheelchair jokes so much. I actually had a guardian bell under my chair. It's something that bikers give to each other to hang under their bike for a sort of protection. My husband got me the bell and hung it under my chair because he travels a lot. The sentiment was really nice.

I went to a violin recital yesterday and they were really short on chairs for the guest. The host thanked me for bringing my own chair. We all got a great laugh out of it.
              DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

Comment

Guardian Bell?, that is indeed a nice sentiment on hub's behalf!.

lol...brought your own chair, now see, that's funny without being patronising or dumb... How was the recital??.

I had a crack at the violin one day, it's frigging hard, you have to have softest touch to get anything out of it.
                "The problem with self improvement is knowing when to quit." "Diamond" David Lee Roth.

Comment

^^After watching that video a while back I saw a stupid comment that I had to respond to. You can read the comment under the video on YouTube, but I'll save you the trouble and copy/paste it below.

Stupid comment quote: will if you are disabled or handicap why your driving ? that's from those people most the accident,
                  if they dont know how to pomp gas they dont need to be driving

My response to this ignoramus.
                  Quote: A person with a disability drives a vehicle for the exact same reasons as an able bodied person.

Comment

I don't like it when people assume I get disability payments. I am a self employed artist, but even then people think I must 'really' be getting money elsewhere, because who can make a living with art, come on.....
                    chair user since 2009 from a neurological disorder

Comment

Was at my nephews t-ball practice today, had my 3yo niece n me ma..older guy sellin team shirts approaches and we get an order fer thhe fam.. then his progressive questions r as follows.
                      -What happened? Were u born like that?
                      "No I broke my neck" Back of my mind, yes people are born breakable dimwit.
                      -Thats what happens having funn when your young he replies. What do u do or can u do?
                      "Well I get out and about obviously enjoying my nephews practice at the moment.
                      -Can u hold a pole? _so many times been asked that cause we live by the sea n rivers_Some follow up by him with should be getting me on a boat and out on the ocean, which we do have but of course its just that easy...
                      -Latter of convo with him walking away is.. do u have upper body strength? the whole time im drinkng pepsi n liftin a bag of seeds into me mouth" Uhh yea I got me arms. but missing some muscle areas" Ehh u can shoot a bow. oh yea. Get u in a truck right out the window..no problem. All u need is yer back n arm muscles..Mom interludes with, IDK hes missing arm muscles, and then they both agree with each other that its the trying that counts...???!!!
                      Im not 1 to get hung up on the falluable disabled mindsets of others but i definately run through the should have said defense lines..
                      I am not your rolling wheels
                      I am the highway
                      I am not your carpet ride
                      I am the sky
                      I am not your blowing wind
                      I am the lightning
                      I am not your autumn moon
                      I am the night, the night..

Comment

Originally posted by Stormycoon View Post
                        Was at my nephews t-ball practice today, had my 3yo niece n me ma..older guy sellin team shirts approaches and we get an order fer thhe fam.. then his progressive questions r as follows.
                        -What happened? Were u born like that?
                        "No I broke my neck" Back of my mind, yes people are born breakable dimwit.
                        -Thats what happens having funn when your young he replies. What do u do or can u do?
                        "Well I get out and about obviously enjoying my nephews practice at the moment.
                        -Can u hold a pole? _so many times been asked that cause we live by the sea n rivers_Some follow up by him with should be getting me on a boat and out on the ocean, which we do have but of course its just that easy...
                        -Latter of convo with him walking away is.. do u have upper body strength? the whole time im drinkng pepsi n liftin a bag of seeds into me mouth" Uhh yea I got me arms. but missing some muscle areas" Ehh u can shoot a bow. oh yea. Get u in a truck right out the window..no problem. All u need is yer back n arm muscles..Mom interludes with, IDK hes missing arm muscles, and then they both agree with each other that its the trying that counts...???!!!
                        Im not 1 to get hung up on the falluable disabled mindsets of others but i definately run through the should have said defense lines..
                        You should have asked him "You sure ask a lot of questions, what are you a Fucking detective?" Or the classic " What are you writing a book? Well leave this chapter out and make it a mystery."

Comment

Today I got "Are you allowed to go outside?" from a new PA. I can see I have my work cut out for me.
                          NYC Disability Forum (@DisabledNYC on Twitter)

Comment

Originally posted by Soliloquy View Post
                            Today I got "Are you allowed to go outside?" from a new PA. I can see I have my work cut out for me.
                            HAHA! Did they follow up with "It's so good to see you out and about"?

It's no wonder we come off as bitter. The shit that's said to us through the years really takes a toll. I'm mean, sure we laugh at it, but really, it SUCKS.
                            Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

Comment

Did you all see this: Handicap Parking and Bitterness?

Comment

Katja,

That there is good stuff and spot on to this thread. Sometimes, people just drain me.
                                Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

Comment

Working...
                                X