X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CREEPY IS AS CREEPY DOES: The Secret World of Disability Trolls

CREEPY IS AS CREEPY DOES
    The Secret World of Disability Trolls: Pretenders, Stalkers, and Predators

is a easy reading booklet that exposes the victimization of the Disability Community by predators on Facebook.

READ IT ON FACEBOOK:
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

DOWNLOAD AS A PDF FILE:
    http://www.not-me.org/creepyisascreepydoes.pdf

VIEW IT ON BRAINSHARK
    http://my.brainshark.com/CREEPY-IS-A...DOES-476149274

This booklet has been brought to you by the
    501(c)3 Self-Defense non-profit NOT-ME! http://www.not-me.org

Yep. There is some good advice in there for people here as well. They also love the abilities expos, it is like going to disneyland for them. One reason I will never go to one.

Comment

Originally posted by t8burst View Post
      Yep. There is some good advice in there for people here as well. They also love the abilities expos, it is like going to disneyland for them. One reason I will never go to one.
      Never thought about the abilities expos like that...damn. And I thought they were kinda neat with all the adapted equipment to check out *facepalm*

Why do people have to be so fucking creepy and ruin things??

Comment

I have been to the expo in San Jose (and am going to LA as well) and never noticed or even remotely felt a creeper..and the people I meet and info I did receive made it so beneficial. Really to let these individuals stop us from doing what is fun, healthy or normal is not the answer. That would be like telling a hot woman not to go out in public as men might/would be leering at her...not a way to live a life imo.
        "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Comment

Originally posted by sherocksandsherolls View Post
          I have been to the expo in San Jose (and am going to LA as well) and never noticed or even remotely felt a creeper..and the people I meet and info I did receive made it so beneficial. Really to let these individuals stop us from doing what is fun, healthy or normal is not the answer. That would be like telling a hot woman not to go out in public as men might/would be leering at her...not a way to live a life imo.
          Exactly, might as well just stay inside if afraid of the dreaded devo. When I went to the expo years ago, the organizers were aware of these people and if a guy looked out of place they were asked to leave. I'm sure some go undetected though.

Are you having a booth at the expo SRSR? I'm thinking about going to the LA expo.
          A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child

Comment

Originally posted by wtf View Post
            Exactly, might as well just stay inside if afraid of the dreaded devo. When I went to the expo years ago, the organizers were aware of these people and if a guy looked out of place they were asked to leave. I'm sure some go undetected though.

Are you having a booth at the expo SRSR? I'm thinking about going to the LA expo.
            I hope to meet you finally! No booth, but will be there on behalf of PhotoAbility.net. YAY! GO!
            "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Comment

Originally posted by sherocksandsherolls View Post
              I hope to meet you finally! No booth, but will be there on behalf of PhotoAbility.net. YAY! GO!
              I know, that would be so cool. I'll do my best to get down there. I assume your flying? How you getting to airport to hotel or expo? I want to fly but not sure they have hc taxis there.
              A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child

Comment

Originally posted by wtf View Post
                I know, that would be so cool. I'll do my best to get down there. I assume your flying? How you getting to airport to hotel or expo? I want to fly but not sure they have hc taxis there.
                Yes. flying from MIA alone (hate) I am getting picked up from airport by family member who lives there, and staying at a expo hotel, but I do hear it is a little bit of a push to Expo, so I need to get myself in shape!

or need a smartdrive!

I am sure they have accessible taxis in LA!

Comment

WTF is a Disability Troll anyway? I'm gathering it's some AB stalker type?
                  Exactly why would they do this?
                  Geeze, it's a snowy day in hell someone pays me mind when I want it, let alone..

Comment

"These women were from diverse locations and
                    social groups. Out of fifty women, forty seven had
                    Disability Trolls in their Facebook Friend List.
                    Each woman had an average of ten Trolls in her
                    List"

Am I the only one who thinks that statistic is stretched a bit too far to believe?
                    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

Several years ago Dave and I took a friend's young daughter to an expo because the Shriner's were there doing evaluations. Because it was a pre existing condition her insurance would not pay for the serious congenital orthopedic care.
                      We knew nothing about SCI or much about disability and looked at some of the booths never dreaming it would be part of our life.
                      If anyone would have told us about these creepy trolls I would have thought they were making it up.

Comment

Originally posted by nonoise View Post
                        "These women were from diverse locations and
                        social groups. Out of fifty women, forty seven had
                        Disability Trolls in their Facebook Friend List.
                        Each woman had an average of ten Trolls in her
                        List"

Am I the only one who thinks that statistic is stretched a bit too far to believe?
                        Yep. Several of my female friends w/ SCI have trolls on their friends list.
                        Last edited by msummer99; 27 Feb 2013, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LindaT View Post
                          Several years ago Dave and I took a friend's young daughter to an expo because the Shriner's were there doing evaluations. Because it was a pre existing condition her insurance would not pay for the serious congenital orthopedic care.
                          We knew nothing about SCI or much about disability and looked at some of the booths never dreaming it would be part of our life.
                          If anyone would have told us about these creepy trolls I would have thought they were making it up.
                          Egad, are you thinking someone would go to the trouble to set up a booth for the purpose of trolling? I'm not understanding.
                          I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

Nonoise - It is understandable that you find the 47 out of 50 hard to believe. That is the point of the booklet. Most people have very little idea of how invasive the Disability Trolls are in the Disability Community especially for SCI and amputees.

Unless, you have a large amount of friends with SCI or amputations such as I do, it is unlikely you would be aware of what is going on.

I can state with absolute certainty that the vast majority of female wheelchair users that are regularly on Facebook and are considered to be conventionally attractive have Disability Trolls as Facebook Friends.

Please refer to my blog for more information:
                            http://disabilitytrolls.blogspot.com/

Regarding the EXPO being unsafe, I don't think that should be a valid concern.
                            Disability Trolls take advantage of deception to target vulnerable victims.

Awareness combined with strong verbal boundary setting is an effective means to deter unwanted attention.

For those that would like to help stop the Trolls from victimizing more people with disabilities, please join our Cause:
                            http://www.causes.com/causes/813030-...rs-on-facebook

Comment

Originally posted by nonoise View Post
                              Egad, are you thinking someone would go to the trouble to set up a booth for the purpose of trolling? I'm not understanding.
                              I doubt anyone is setting up a booth...they are getting tickets (free on-line) and attending the Expos to hang out and possibly have close physical contact with people with disabilities, who will be attending the Expos in large numbers.

We have experienced people who just show up on the inpatient rehab units wanting to be a "friendly visitor" with the patients as well...we have a high level of suspicion for those folks, and thank goodness our Volunteer department does as well. Creepy.

(KLD)
                              The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Working...
                              X