Oh, for an ordinary life...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, for an ordinary life...

Well, I'm going home tomorrow after a two week stay in the hospital for reconstructive flap surgery. Then four more weeks of bed-rest at home. Quadriplegic life just gets more enjoyable every year. 2012 was one of my suckiest years in my 22 1/2 years, so I'm hoping that once I'm fully healed, this year gets much better. Whining session has ended, for now...

A couple of years along my 28yr paralysis trip too ... hope this year is much better!!!!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

not to be a killjoy, but sci has continued to suck so much more as i get older. wish i had something more positive to say.

Comment

Scott, I have never had this surgery, but many I have read said it has been a life changer and highly recommend it with no future re-occurance. So..use this time to reflect, read and grow..and I am sure you will never take your health for granted again. I hope the weeks go quickly for you!

Stay positive..wishing you the best!
        "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Comment

I pop a piece of chocolate into my mouth at bedtime to make certain that at least one good thing happens every day. For me it is the best sleeping pill around and maybe even conjures up sweet dreams. The fates are very fickle. You never know when they are going to turn good or bad. Hope things turn out positive for you.
          You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
          http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
          http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
            I pop a piece of chocolate into my mouth at bedtime to make certain that at least one good thing happens every day. For me it is the best sleeping pill around and maybe even conjures up sweet dreams. The fates are very fickle. You never know when they are going to turn good or bad. Hope things turn out positive for you.
            You're the shit, 55! Yes, the fates are fickle and life turns on a dime. But we never get too old to learn something new. Gonna get me some chocolate soonest!

There's no ordinary life. EVERYBODY is living a great struggle. The only reason we know that our load is heavy is because we alone carry it. No matter who wants to help, ultimately, you got to carry that weight.

Hank Jr. is an asshole, but he told the truth - "country boy can survive"! Wishing you a quick recovery from the surgery.
            Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Comment

Originally posted by Foolish Old View Post
              You're the shit, 55! Yes, the fates are fickle and life turns on a dime. But we never get too old to learn something new. Gonna get me some chocolate soonest!

There's no ordinary life. EVERYBODY is living a great struggle. The only reason we know that our load is heavy is because we alone carry it. No matter who wants to help, ultimately, you got to carry that weight.

Hank Jr. is an asshole, but he told the truth - "country boy can survive"! Wishing you a quick recovery from the surgery.
              I have a similar once a day chocolate habit. If I may recommend something: http://www.recchiuti.com/108.html?area=01;id=NFLAkunM

They are the bomb.

Comment

For those on a diet, you can keep a bottle of vanilla extract handy and spend a few minutes taking severals whiffs of it before bed. It's not as good as the chocolate but it does work.

Comment

Originally posted by Patton57 View Post
                  For those on a diet, you can keep a bottle of vanilla extract handy and spend a few minutes taking severals whiffs of it before bed. It's not as good as the chocolate but it does work.
                  The scent of lavender does it for some. Besides, chocolate a bedtime, without brushing your teeth afterwards, is going to put you on very friendly terms with your dentist.

All the best,
                  GJ

Comment

Originally posted by Patton57 View Post

Sniff it? If that does not work then just down it. lol That stuff is 70 to 90 proof. It will put a glow on your day.

Comment

Originally posted by gjnl View Post
                      The scent of lavender does it for some. Besides, chocolate a bedtime, without brushing your teeth afterwards, is going to put you on very friendly terms with your dentist.

All the best,
                      GJ
                      Yes mom. lol

Comment

Originally posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
                        Sniff it? If that does not work then just down it. lol That stuff is 70 to 90 proof. It will put a glow on your day.
                        Now that's a heck of a backup plan.

Comment

I hope it gets better for you too. Heal up quickly Scott.
                          A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child

Comment

Thanks all for the get wells and commiseration... This is the second flap in pretty much the same spot from eight years ago. Apparently, I had some prominent bone growths on the ischium area which caused the reoccurrence (sp). Hopefully the bone smoothening and flap will heal well and not regrow... I don't think my butt or sanity can handle another surgery.
                            As for the nightly chocolate, I'll be drinking either a chocolate Ensure or Boost for a long while for the extra protein.
                            And as for everyone having a struggle and there being no ordinary life, the life I had pre-injury (as boring/mundane as I thought it was), it now seems like a glorious dream.

Comment

I wish you speedy healing.

This thread reminded me of an immediate reaction I had last night while watching the Oscar clips for best movie. Regarding the Life of Pi I saw an analogy between the story and sci.

You're out at sea. Your ship goes down. You make it to a lifeboat. There's a tiger on the lifeboat.

Comment

Working...
                              X