No announcement yet.

Sci Nurse KLD's mother has passed away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From the short time I've been here, I know this is a great loss for you and I am very sorry.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

Thank you all. I didn't want to make a big deal out of this. My mother was 84, and had suffered from PPMS since 1980...she put up the good fight, and lived life in spite of it, but in the end, I think that is what killed her. Her EDSS score had been 9.5 for some time. She had been in a fairly rapid decline since last Christmas, both cognitively and with her functional abilities. Not sure she recognized me by September.

When she stopped eating and drinking completely, my sister and I (who had her DPOA for Healthcare) decided not to institute either IV or tube feeding as we felt she would not want this, and engaged hospice. She died at home in the early hours of 11/16/12 with me holding her hand, and my sister & bro-in-law and her live-in PCA at her side.

I will miss her terribly, but I know she is in a better place. I like to think of her dancing with my father (who died in 2008), as they often did when I was young.

(KLD)
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

That was a very selfless act, KLD, and my sympathies to you. Your mother lived a long life and you let her have peace.

Comment

You have my sympathy. And, good choice.
          2012 SCINetUSA Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
          Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Comment

You have my condolences too. So sorry..

Comment

My utmost condolences, kind lady.
              get busy living or get busy dying

Comment

I am sorry for your loss.

Peace,

Ket
                Kindly,

The Ketamine Kitty

All the tears, all the pain, all the rage through the night (apolgies to the rewrite) RR

Next time I die make sure I'm gone,
                don't leave 'em nothing to work on JT

And I ain't nothin but a dream JM

Comment

Sorry to read this. My condolences KLD.

Comment

I am sorry for your loss. May your good memories of her get you through this rough time.
                    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Comment

I am so sorry for your loss.
                      For every minute you're angry you lose a second of happiness

Comment

Am I so sorry to hear the news, KLD has always been a great help on her, I wish her the best and comforting times ahead
                        We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
                        Ronald Reagan

Comment

Please accept my most sincere condolences.

Comment

Head up Nurse, and the best to you and yours.

Comment

So sorry for you loss.
                              T12 Incomplete - Walking with Crutches, Injured in Oct 2003

Comment

So very sorry for your loss!

Comment

Working...
                                X