Living Alone; Changing Sheets (etc)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Living Alone; Changing Sheets (etc)

Certain things are pretty tough when living alone.
    I actually live with a friend now but he isn't someone I can ask to do things for me.

-- The most difficut thing and most bothersome; is my bed sheets! I have cats and I often need to change them, but sometimes I go a week without changing my sheets lol. It's just a hassle... I have to transfer on the bed, do it on one side, then hope above it and keep hopping as I extend the sheet. It's so tedious.. is there a quicker way a or a better solution

-- Also I find it hard to clean my bathroom which gets messy. And Laundry is horrible. I hate dragging the laundry basket then filling the washer and unloading it. I dont have a working dryer yet so I have to hang each clothing by hand. ARRGHH.

I don't know what's the point of this post, maybe get insight from others who live alone and how they do things, maybe just to vent :P

I'm not in a position to get some hired help,
    and even if I was; I wouldn't want it.

Where in Ontario do you live? My son lives alone in TO and I live 5 hours away. I was also concerned with the same issues. There is an agency founded by the gov, the caregiver comes once / week for two hours, does laundry, cleans, or whatever needs to b done.
    If you need info, pm me and I get you the digits. the wait was not long at all, from the time I gotten in touch with them to the of the first visit, maybe a month.
    My mouth is like a magician's hat, never know what might come out of it.

Comment

I hate changing the sheets on my bed too, but I have a system that works for me. My bed sits against a wall. There is not enough room in the bedroom to wheel around both sides of the bed. So, here is what I do. I take the bottom sheet and throw it onto the bed and straighten and smooth it out on one side, top to bottom. I tuck it in the sides beneath the bed rails (bc I have an air mattress) to help hold it in place. Then I do the same for the next sheet, and then the blankets etc. When that is done I move the bed (it's on wheels), wheel around the the other side and repeat the process. When I'm done I push the bed back and smooth it out some more. It doesn't come out perfect, but it works.

As for the clothes. I don't use laundry baskets. It is too difficult to pick them up from the floor and balance at the same time. So, I use laundry bags and grab them up with one hand onto my lap. Seems to work pretty well for me.

I hope this helps ..

Comment

Can you move your bed so only the headboard is against the wall and you have access to both sides?

As for the laundry. I have a front loading washer and dryer each on one side of my laundry room facing eachother with a laundry basket in between. I just keep the basket in there and take dirty clothes etc in there as needed. It's a small room so I can just roll half-way in the doorway and load the washer. When the wash is done I can toss the clothes in the dryer without having to carry them or even move. It's a small pantry-like/hallway laundry room. Makes things easy.
        Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Comment

when i do the sheets, i hold up the mattress with some sort of lever lol like a broom, then tuck in the sheet as i press down on the broom to lift it. do that for all 4 sides. total time is 5 - 10 min. but i only have the head side against the wall

at night, i just flip over part of the covers, in the morning i adjust the far side of the bed while i am still laying there, then transfer and adjust the side i was sleeping on. takes me about 2min to do it this way
          "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
          http://www.elportavoz.com/

Comment

Originally posted by crypticgimp View Post

at night, i just flip over part of the covers, in the morning i adjust the far side of the bed while i am still laying there, then transfer and adjust the side i was sleeping on. takes me about 2min to do it this way
            Oh, we are suppose to re-make the bed every morning? lol
            Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Comment

I had to do that for the first three years I was on my own ... get on the bed, make that part up, then scoot off and make the rest because it was against a wall. A twin bed as well so it wasn't that bad ...

My apartment bedroom was 'just' big enough for a double bed but David always got his side (good boy).

Now I have a condo with a rather huge bedroom for a 2 bdrm .. I plan on moving up to a Queen bed in the new year.

I use flannel and wash my sheets once per week. Is that odd to only wash them once per week? Unless I wake up and know I've been sweating (which happens very rarely).
              Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Originally posted by november View Post
                Oh, we are suppose to re-make the bed every morning? lol
                lol no no, only when u have company coming over. i had to do this alot over the summer as i had friends over
                "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
                http://www.elportavoz.com/

Comment

Originally posted by lynnifer View Post

I use flannel and wash my sheets once per week. Is that odd to only wash them once per week?

No, it's not.

Comment

Thanks ... I considered it a 'luxury' when I was able to wheel around the entire bed and make it with no problem/obstacles.

It's the little things ... lol.
                    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

Comment

I move my shower chair and wrap the fitted sheet on the end of the bedthen get on the side and slide the mattress down about 3 feet and pull the mattress over onto me and put the fitted end on the head end, slide everything back
                      We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
                      Ronald Reagan

Comment

Such a great thread. I'm blessed to be able to roll around both sides of my bed. I put one corner of the fitted sheet on and then go to the diagonal corner and grab the sheets with my reacher and hook that corner, the repeat on the other two corners. Takes just a few minutes but it still sucks to change the sheets. I don't make my bed unless my parents come in town(haha). We just throw the blankets up when we get out of bed in the morning.

As for the laundry, I have a laundry cart with 3 seperate bins. Colors, whites, jeans....I throw the towels in a seperate basket. I just grab them out and throw them in the washing machine (thankful for a front loader). Once they are dried I fold them and stack them on the dryer or hang them on a hanger and hang it on a towel bar that my husband hung in the wash room for me. Once I have everything folded or hung on the towel bar then I deliver it to the dresser or the closet in smaller increments that my lap can handle.

I love seeing all the great ideas that everyone is sharing. These types of threads are so important.
                        DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

Comment

I do three loads (sometimes a fourth) per week. Warm, Hot and Cold. It's enough because I'm just one person; to balance the clothes, once separated, on my lap. My washer/dryer are right beside each other so it's easy. I'll have to take photos of my set-up some time.

Cold for nice clothes, uniforms and under-clothes.

Warm for towels or sweats or jackets.

Hot for sheets.

I fold them on the dryer too ... but then I leave them for a day or two because I live alone! lol Then I get frustrated and put them away. Imma freak!

I normally just throw the sheets up as well on my bed, unless someone's coming over or it's Sunday ... then I make it up nice and proper. I can't go on what a luxury it is to have a nice sized bedroom and bathroom.

Comment

It really is all in the details. I don't know the process this Maui condo owner Bruce did to get things to this detailed and perfect a setup. I can sort of see the evolution around me. He has good, not feminine, taste. You how there is nothing tackier than Hawaii-Gone-Bad? There is NO Bad Hawaii here.

All good essential well planned innovation from here.

From where I'm laying...
                            Wide bedroom door, all quad friendly doors
                            All push button or remote ceiling fans.
                            Wide accessible HUGE roll-in shower.
                            Standard toilet, but w/ grab bars.
                            Can't burn legs on under-sink plumbing.
                            Wchair fits under sinks in bathroom.
                            quad-friendly reading lamp adaptors; coolest thing ever.

Tile floors. Remote control blinds.

A place for everything. Not so much everything-in-its-place. Before I leave it will be restored, everything in its place.

This guy is a jedi at this stuff. I don't know much about accessible design. I suffered constantly from the inaccessible version tho. I just see none of it here.

My bruises may fade, if I'm not constantly running into stupidly placed design ideas.(No. I still drive my w/chair too fast and wreck it weekly. Did it Wed., got on plane Thurs.)

Nov, your washer/dryer face each other? You clearly Accessibity Jedi'd that, Missy.
                            Blog:
                            Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Comment

Yep Beth so I can just pull the clothes out of the washer and in the same movement toss them in the dryer. Both doors can be open at the same time too. Just enough room.

Comment

Working...
                              X