Got a Subpoena Today.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got a Subpoena Today.....

For jury duty...really!!. I did not know that one can be issued for this. Anyone ever go through this. I am stunned.

Cheryl
    C-7 incomplete Since 2004

Why are you stunned???? They issue them all the time here..I have gotten several myself but i have never had to go due to my being disabled....

Comment

I got out of jury duty several times with various excuses

Comment

Here in new york they say no excuses, so when they sent me those questionaires I dont send them back so this is the reason for the subpoena. Then it says if I don't appear I will be fined, I don't see why they make it such a big deal.
        C-7 incomplete Since 2004

Comment

Originally posted by Chrl View Post
          Here in new york they say no excuses, so when they sent me those questionaires I dont send them back so this is the reason for the subpoena. Then it says if I don't appear I will be fined, I don't see why they make it such a big deal.
          Are you are stunned again why?
          Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Comment

Call and if they don't excuse. Go do your civic duty.

Comment

Jury duty is a big deal. It is the heart of our justice system. If you are able to serve, do the responsible thing. If you have a legitimate reason to be excused, they will do it. I have done jury duty three times in various courts without a problem.
              You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
              http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
              http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Chrl View Post
                For jury duty...really!!. I did not know that one can be issued for this. Anyone ever go through this. I am stunned.

Cheryl
                Why do feel being disabled allows you to skip serving? I've been summoned everyplace I have lived usually within 6 months of living there. Courthouses are accessible with the exception of a few in rural areas but that is another discussion.
                T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Comment

Go. its kind of fun. You get to meet strangers in the waiting area. Listen to all the lame excuses people use to try to get out of it. If you get on the jury, you get to hold the fate of some strangers life in your hands. A real feeling of power.

Comment

I don't ever want to be on jury duty!!! I'd rather have a tooth pulled than be on jury duty.
                    SCI Birthday: April 25, 1993
                    T4,5,6 Incomplete
                    Chair: TiLite TR3

Comment

I live in a city of about 200K people. I got called for jury duty and when I asked if the jury boxes were wheelchair accessible, they told me to forget about it.

In this day and age, and a public building at that.

Why is it that you don't want to do jury duty? It is a diversion from the everyday and can be interesting.

Go ahead and be a scofflaw and get cited and fined for not doing jury duty. At least you can be sure they won't call a convicted jury duty skipper again.
                      Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

Comment

Serve your civic duty if you are able. Otherwise, ask you doctor to provide an excuse. When I was AB I served. Now I cannot sit for long periods of time. I get a doctor's excuse.

Comment

I just get a doctors excuse do to the fact that I don't have to cath but I do go Often.

Comment

First time I was called was going to be in the middle of a 2 week cruise with 9 other people and had been booked for a year. Excused. I was put back into the jury pool. Got called again a year later just as I got my first pressure sore. Excused. I have been a registered voter my whole life and they call twice when I really couldn't go? They took me out of rotation for 5 years and now I'm in a new state so hopefully I'll be called again. To me jury duty is the benefit of a judicial system that is as fair as any in the world and one I served to protect.
                            Follow the directions on the subpeona and explain to the judge why you didn't answer the questionnaires. And yes, they can send you to jail. I doubt they will but be prepared to serve on a jury coming up. If you cannot handle jury duty for medical reasons that is a reason to ask to be excused not to skip sending in the information requested or answering the questions. I would take the names of your doctors and their contact information with you to court in case the judge wants to contact them.
                            Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

I have served before BUT things have changed in our system here now you are on the hook for the entire year YOU have to call in (NOT TOLL FREE) every MONDAY a, m before 0800hrs to be told if you need to show up by 0900hrs if you forget to call & get excused YOU are bad guy. Very stressful and long weekend killer.

Comment

Working...
                              X