Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paralyzed Woman on The Biggest Loser!!!??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope she makes it so I can get some workout tips from the show. I just don't see how she can lose weight at the same pace as a walking person which creates an unfairness to her being the only one in a wheelchair, and voted off quicker. I hope she can do it but it seems that the pace at which we lose weight as wheelers will hinder her. I'm still rooting for her!
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

Comment

That was a fantastic video! And she has great camera presence and she's pretty. If they don't have her on the show, those guys don't know what they're doing.

Comment

Originally posted by brucec View Post
        Agreed
        and would add the idea of the show is to work out all your muscles and lose weight, I can only use my arms, so how could I lose any fat in my belly????
        but hope she does get the support she needs from the show
        bruce
        this is a myth. your body knows where fat is stored. it doesnt work in some sort of localized place like "oh well no fat on my arms so i cant do anything"

you lose belly fat by working out (cardio and strength training) and eating in a way to help stabilize your blood sugars/help your metabolism.

also where your body stores fat and which places will be easier to lose weight from is genetic. there are people who work out their legs and dont get the kind of definition due to genetics. same with arm definition. not everyone is gonna have arms like michelle obama. belly fat however, is a place for excess storage due to dietary habits.
        "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
        http://www.elportavoz.com/

Comment

Originally posted by offroaderswife View Post
          I hope she makes it so I can get some workout tips from the show. I just don't see how she can lose weight at the same pace as a walking person which creates an unfairness to her being the only one in a wheelchair, and voted off quicker. I hope she can do it but it seems that the pace at which we lose weight as wheelers will hinder her. I'm still rooting for her!
          good point..but they say...you know, those expensive studies that state the obvious...that we burn more calories pushing our chair than walking same distance..could be VERY interesting!

and yeah Scott..agreed on "inspiration" thing...damn most of us have tried darn hard NOT to be called that...in life. Just be use, but..in wheelchair. Would be great for once..or more often, to see THAT portrayed on tv. I mean aren't most people all ready over the inspiration stuff by now...guess not..
          "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Comment

Originally posted by lynnifer View Post
            +2

She's a grade six teacher (I assume that's full-time work?) and the mother of 3 children as well as a wife. I didn't see any housekeepers around. Exactly when is she supposed to fit her exercise into that schedule?
            You don't have to exercise to lose weight, you can do it through diet alone.

Comment

Originally posted by sherocksandsherolls View Post
              the fact is...this issue is much more than that and not as simple steven/cryptic..it is psychological..and a tough one to overcome..and maybe she needs this show for the MENTAL push and support and counseling they provide contestants. I hope she wins..but it did feel a little exploitive..but hey--that is tv..she knows they want to exploit and dramatize our injuries so she is playing into it to get the role. We gimps will be all over the tube soon lol!
              Who knows what the time lag is between now, the actual casting of the show and when it goes into production, but I bet she could begin to drop a lot of the weight starting, I don't know. . . now!

Our wannabe contestant also strikes me as quite bright, capable and resourceful enough to figure out how to achieve her goals without the benefits (and tabloid recognition) of the klieg lights. But that's not the point, is it? Really, this about good ol' fashion narcissism (Look at me on TV!) and the dream of, I don't know, maybe some endorsement deals even if she doesn't win (or is that lose?) the competition. She isn't the first and won't be the last with dreams of turning lemons into sugar-free lemonade. I wish her the best but I don't believe for a second that she needs the apparatus and psychological support of a television show to achieve her weight loss objective.
              stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

Originally posted by stephen212 View Post
                She isn't the first and won't be the last with dreams of turning lemons into sugar-free lemonade.
                lol. true that! yet..you are not acknowledging my point...the fame may force her to do it..a nationwide audience may be the emotional kick and accountability she requires as she clearly has not shown the ability or mental strength to do this for herself. Kinda like those who lose weight for the high school reunion.
                "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Comment

Originally posted by lynnifer View Post
                  +2

She's a grade six teacher (I assume that's full-time work?) and the mother of 3 children as well as a wife. I didn't see any housekeepers around. Exactly when is she supposed to fit her exercise into that schedule?
                  plenty of working moms fit in exercise into their schedules. sometimes you need to be creative: race the kids in the pool, have mandatory family walks around the block several times after dinner. husband watches kids while she does a workout video.

she knows what her vice is: all the ordering in/dining out. even if she switched to just doing that on weekends, she could lose weight. they can make dinner time a family affair. everyone helps cook, her kids are old enough to do that.

when you're busy, the easiest fix is the diet change but the hardest t say committed to.

Comment

lol. true that! yet..you are not acknowledging my point...the fame may force her to do it..a nationwide audience may be the emotional kick and accountability she requires as she clearly has not shown the ability or mental strength to do this for herself. Kinda like those who lose weight for the high school reunion.
                    There are plenty of Web sites (e.g., stickK) devoted to just this idea: stating your goals publicly to keep on task. She doesn't require a TMZ-addled audience; to suggest otherwise paints in her in a pathetic light, and she doesn't come across to me as at all pathetic. Rather, she's ambitious, savvy . . . cynical and self-exploitative.

Obese + Vivacious + Wheelchair = Ca$h (so she hopes). USA! USA! USA!
                    stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

There are plenty of Web sites (e.g., stickK) devoted to just this idea: stating your goals publicly to keep on task. She doesn't require a TMZ-addled audience; to suggest otherwise paints in her in a pathetic light, and she doesn't come across to me as at all pathetic. Rather, she's ambitious, savvy . . . cynical and self-exploitative.

Obese + Vivacious + Wheelchair = Ca$h (so she hopes). USA! USA! USA!

you are cracking me up...yet...at same time..still not seeing my point. Self exploitive can actually be a sign of insecurity."look at me! give me attention", I need to feel good about self via the limelight. fyi..insecurity is an emotional issue often leading to need to feel better via ...eating.....and yes..hope I do not get banned for perceived harshness, but is it not "pathetic" to eat yourself to that level of obesity?? I don;t mean that in a harsh way but in an empathetic way. It is the equivalent to doing harm to oneself. ( I have family who are dealing with this issue so I am very sensitive to the struggle so please do not think I am meaning this as an insult)
                      Last edited by sherocksandsherolls; 18 Jul 2012, 11:01 PM.

Comment

you are cracking me up...yet...at same time..still not seeing my point. Self exploitive can actually be a sign of insecurity."look at me! give me attention", I need to feel good about self via the limelight. fyi..insecurity is an emotional issue often leading to need to feel better via ...eating.....and yes..hope I do not get banned for perceived harshness, but is it not "pathetic" to eat yourself to that level of obesity?? I don;t mean that in a harsh way but in an empathetic way. It is the equivalent to doing harm to oneself.
                        he is seeing your point tho, hence why he suggested a public site. and there are loads of ways to get that attention, why not do a youtube series on it? submit her videos to the today for that "joy fit club" with the crazy skinny nutritionist that tells ppl it's easy to lose weight.

i too think she is very vibrant woman and seems like a wonderful mom and wife.

Comment

She sure has a lot of excuses even though she claimed once she only had 2. I counted: Her husband's eating habits. Weight gain from her birth control. No time to prepare meals. Unsafe for her to prepare meals in her kitchen. Inactivity. Weight gain from having kids....

She said she has tried everything. How can that be if she is still eating out all the time. Try not doing that maybe.

My kitchen is similar and when I cook it isn't unsafe or dangerous. I can't see in some pots and pans and still manage. My injury is higher. She said her SCI shortens her life span by 15 years. No it doesn't.

I'm trying to not rip on her. I have the opposite weight problem so no idea what it's like to be overweight with a SCI. Wouldn't you notice you are gaining so much and do something about it. 60 lbs is a lot in one year. If you don't have access to a scale you would notice clothes fitting differently with a gain like that.

Hope she loses the weight. These are my thoughts after watching the video though.
                          Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Wow, if she applied half of the initiative involved in putting together this high-production-value video audition into researching the rather simple methods necessary to losing weight -- eating less, cutting out the junk food -- she'd already be at her ideal weight. But then she wouldn't get to be on TV (snore) and exploit her disability. Stevie doesn't approve.
                            "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Wow, if she applied half of the initiative involved in putting together this high-production-value video audition into researching the rather simple methods necessary to losing weight -- eating less, cutting out the junk food -- she'd already be at her ideal weight. But then she wouldn't get to be on TV (snore) and exploit her disability. Stevie doesn't approve.
                              Oh Stephen why do you have to be such a killjoy, even though I think you're right. She probably wants to be a wheelchair version of a Kardashian or Kirstie Alley, ain't nothing wrong with that.
                              A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child

Comment

I think if someone was exploiting their injury for some other reason other than to be on TV then there would not be the support for her that we see in this thread... She just wants "fame" and money IMO. From what I can tell if she really wants to loose the weight she seems perfectly capable. She could start by finding out how many calories it takes to support her target weight and only consume that number of calories a day. All she will do if she gets on the show is reinforce stereotypes of people with disabilities, IMO. Whatever happens I hope she loses the weight.

Comment

Working...
                                X