I miss what I can't do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Millard View Post
    Unlike Cryptic, I was 20 years old when I was injured. I went through the usual stuff, depression and etc. After 10 years post, I thought of how I used to be maybe several times a day. After 20 years post, I would think about it maybe once a month. Now at 45 years post, I never think about it and wonder why I ever wanted to go back. If I had not been injured, I would never met my wife and gotten married 41 years ago. Once I accepted everything, even being married, my life turned around and I have been happy ever since. I only hope many of you can find what I did!!! I don't really miss what I can't do, I just enjoy what I can do...

Good luck.
    Close to my experience. Disabled since 11 years old. Now about 40 years post. Not a single regret at this point. So many more things to do in life then I will ever accomplish.

I also hope people find what you makes you happy or at peace.
    Adaptive Sports Forums.com
    http://adaptivesportsforums.com
    Non-commercial adaptive sports user community

Comment

How about enjoying what you can do while you still can

Comment

I was at a carnival last night in the beer tent watching a very popular local band and I could not help looking at all the guys in tank tops sporting tatoos and built arms. (not like that I was with my girlfriend) I was missing the body I use to have. I told my girlfriend that and she said "I think you have a great body" I guess thats all that matters..

Comment

I miss running, cycling, step aerobics, dancing, etc..etc.. I was so healthy and active, exercising up to 6 days a week. I miss sleeping well without taking something for sleep. I miss cracking my back, lol, standing on my tiptoes, doing jumping jacks, i miss getting cheap massages by students at schools for massage therapy. I think about these things often but it doesnt help..only hurts.
          Here im preaching to the choir when i say you need to be thankful for all the things you can still do....nothing is forever, keep smiling.
          Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. -- John Lennon

Comment

OK you all need some comic relief i was riding the local short bus ( Disabled Transit ) and some guy cut the bus off and the driver nearly creamed the guy,and everyone's chairs where strapped down good and secure so there was no problem but i could not resist myself and yelled up to the driver "I think i need to go to the hospital when you slammed on the brakes i felt something pop in my spine and i think i can walk again !!" none of the drivers of those buses have ever let me live that one down.

So come on gang chins up !

Comment

I miss dancing. I miss going out to craggy edges of the ocean and poking around in tide pools. Now that we have retired to an absolutely perfect place for so many things and I miss not being able to walk or bike the Glacier Ice Age Trail with my husband or even just walking out through the dog park that is in a prarie restoration area with them. And only something evil could put me in a place where my Dad could travel with us but his walking endurance is near zero now due to pain. He won't even think of a scooter while his "little girl" is in a chair.
              Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

I have gone full cycle. I miss being able to use a manual wheelchair and driving my equipped van.
                You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
                http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
                http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Comment

but you can do all those things- i do -dancing,horseback riding,going on swings but havnt tried motorbike yet (other than sitting on one) -(written by noirin-age 8 when she sneaked a peak at the post)

Comment

I feel more inconvenienced by the things I can no longer do rather than a sense of nostalgia. I think this is not unexpected after almost 3 decades. Given enough time a new "normal" sets in, albeit not as good as the first normal.
                    stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

how about opening up a thread about what we can do

Comment

i can do horse riding on my horse troy i am trotting on him and doing small jumps he is perfect for jumping and my dog buster is jealous of troy and i can do hip hop and swiming and go on swings and go for walks on the beach

Comment

I miss giving my kid piggy-back rides. On the plus side she just started softball and I can still throw and catch with pretty much the same ability I had pre-sci.

Comment

It's the beach that I miss most. Before my SCI, my wife and I, family and friends, camped at the ocean regularly. I loved walking along the beach.

I am planning a vacation at the ocean for later this year and I plan on equipping my wheelchair with the right tires and use whatever means to get past the "soft dry" sand to the "just right" sand and see if I can get my dog to pull me along in that "just right" sand without making a break for the ocean and getting us stuck in the "too wet" sand.
                            TM 2004 T12 incomplete

Comment

I think we all have those days... actually I think most of us have those little moments every day... I know I do. I'm in a bit of a rocky patch with my gf and not sure how it's going to play out and all I can think about is everything I can't do and why that's likely another reason to consider not continuing to date me... can't dance with me, trouble travelling, can't have sex w/ me the way a normal could, can't help me with this, we'll never do that.

The reality is it's wasted energy... it's true, there's tonnes of stuff I can't do, do like others and will never do... but sadly I can't change that so getting sad over it is just wasting my time on this planet. You gotta accept that that's just the way it is... as do I with my gf... if the fact that I can't travel easy is a deal breaker then it is... not much I can do. Can't get blood from a stone.

I suppose everyone, even non-SCIs get confronted with "I wish I could/was/etc"... just with us everything is so "normal" & taken for granted that it just amplifies the feelings 1000%

Comment

I found a great job, but they wont hire me because i cant do home visits.
                                If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Comment

Working...
                                X