No announcement yet.

I can drive!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congratulations. I remember the first time I drove after rehab and what a great feeling of independence.

Enjoy yourself.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

Comment

Yay!! Being able do go places on your own will expand your independence so much!
      Don - Grad Student Emeritus
      T3 ASIA A 27 years post injury

Comment

Congratulations Rachelle !
        www.adventuresofcolinandheather.blogspot.com !

Comment

Great job, be safe
          T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Comment

Are you able to transfer alone or do you need assistance and what type of hand controls are you using?

Comment

I can transfer alone but it takes me a while. I'm going to use a Sure GripTM push/rock hand control. I have no dexterity but I use my wrists
              Www.rachellefriedman.com

Follow me on Facebook at
              www.facebook.com/rachelleandchris

Follow me on twitter at
              www.twitter.com/followrachelle

Www.wheelstrong.com

sigpic

Comment

I'm starting to drive myself but I transfer to my powerchair before leaving the house and drive from it. I've not been real happy or comfortable with my tri-pin set up. Is what you use a tri-pin or something else, I looked at the Sure Grip web site but don't see anything that I haven't seen before.........thanks!

Comment

I would get good roadside assistance coverage, keep your car well maintained and hope you don't have to use it but just in case have a cell phone handy and a plan and you'll travel with little fear.

My first five years driving post SCI were before wide cell phone usage so I traveled with a little apprehension all the time. You shouldn't have to. Driving is great!

Comment

I'm nervous but excited!! I'll have a tri pin on the steering wheel
                    Www.rachellefriedman.com

Follow me on Facebook at

Follow me on twitter at

Www.wheelstrong.com

sigpic

Comment

You definitely want AAA or some similar coverage. What kind of seat belts do you use? A chest belt or harness might help you stay more stable when rounding a curve or stopping short.

Comment

I'll have a chest belt. I really don't like it but I need it
                        Www.rachellefriedman.com

Follow me on Facebook at

Follow me on twitter at

Www.wheelstrong.com

sigpic

Comment

Congratulations on your new mode of freedom, Rachelle.

Comment

Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Comment

Originally posted by ECUrach85 View Post
                              I'm nervous but excited!! I'll have a tri pin on the steering wheel
                              Like you, I have wrists but no finger dexterity. V-grips similar to the one below worked well for me. In fact I designed one of the early ones back in 1965 when I started driving.

You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
                              http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
                              http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Comment

Congratulations! I actually went for my road test today and passed with flying colors as well. I don't have a vehicle yet, but that's my next project, along with getting a job so I can pay for it. Cheers from one new driver to another!
                                Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. - Carl Sagan

How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world. - Anne Frank

Comment

Working...
                                X