Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ever get your disability thrown in your face by an educator??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever get your disability thrown in your face by an educator??

I was watching a webinar for continuing education when the presenter.........

well watch my youtube video.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3Y0WjCMcG8
    Last edited by jhope; 06-14-2012, 08:46 PM.
    Han: "We are all ready to win, just as we are born knowing only life. It is defeat that you must learn to prepare for"

I reckon he will not get any brighter with age that one.

Comment

Do not have time to watch your video, is what happened so involved that watching a video is a shorter process than you just telling what happened?

Comment

I signed up for a live webinar to get continuing education credit. Dr. Ritter is introducing himself and then felt it necessary to show a picture of 14 wheelchairs lined up in front of him at the ticket counter. So he says I see a lot of wheelchairs going on the air plane but so few get off so the quickest way to learn how to walk is to fly on an airplane. I made a video introducing myself and have discussed that I was that this man went out of his way to complain about being inconvenienced. I guess I was trying to humiliate him the way he humiliated me.
        Han: "We are all ready to win, just as we are born knowing only life. It is defeat that you must learn to prepare for"

Comment

That's a brilliant deduction from a medical professional. I guess spinal cord injury would be cured if paralyzed people would just get on a plane.
          Daniel

Comment

The comment was insensitive, no doubt. That being said, just to play devil's advocate, he might have been referencing the current trend that almost anyone claims to have a disability, as evidenced in the abundance of disabled placards in parking lots, in an attempt to reap the benefits of better parking, or in this case, earlier boarding on a flight.

It was an idiotic comment to make though, and it comes from a place of pure ignorance. I just don't know if it was necessarily malicious, especially towards those who are in genuine need of assistance in boarding.

That being said, for anyone who is deeply offended, he did give his email address at the very beginning of his presentation......bombarding his email account with your disapproval may make him rethink his words next time

Comment

Video was removed ???
              You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
              http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
              http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Comment

i removed it on behalf of 3m espy who was unaware of it and they promised to address it immediately but what the hell >:-(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3Y0W...=youtube_gdata
                Last edited by jhope; 06-14-2012, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KiranA View Post
                  The comment was insensitive, no doubt. That being said, just to play devil's advocate, he might have been referencing the current trend that almost anyone claims to have a disability, as evidenced in the abundance of disabled placards in parking lots, in an attempt to reap the benefits of better parking, or in this case, earlier boarding on a flight.

It was an idiotic comment to make though, and it comes from a place of pure ignorance. I just don't know if it was necessarily malicious, especially towards those who are in genuine need of assistance in boarding.

That being said, for anyone who is deeply offended, he did give his email address at the very beginning of his presentation......bombarding his email account with your disapproval may make him rethink his words next time
                  I agree w/ Kiran's points... but yeah, I'd chalk it up to ignorance.

Comment

The message that I heard is that there were 14 wheelchairs when getting on, but only 2 to get off - meaning that most of these folks were miraculously 'cured' during the flight. I'd make the same comment if I saw a bunch of fakers using chairs to get on the plane early.
                    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
                    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Comment

Originally posted by -scott- View Post
                      I agree w/ Kiran's points... but yeah, I'd chalk it up to ignorance.
                      You are respectfully missing the point. There was no reason to take that photo and make it part of the presentation which was titled:

Adhesive Cementation - A Practical Approach
                      Presenter: Dr. Rob Ritter, DMD
                      Sponsor: 3M ESPE

No one asked him! He was annoyed at the time it took to board the plane.

Comment

Originally posted by Donno View Post
                        The message that I heard is that there were 14 wheelchairs when getting on, but only 2 to get off - meaning that most of these folks were miraculously 'cured' during the flight. I'd make the same comment if I saw a bunch of fakers using chairs to get on the plane early.
                        wait...........you think people fake using a wheelchair to get on the plane early? You do know that you must need assistance. You do not get to stand up and walk to your seat. The plane doesn't leave until everyone is boarded.
                        I explained why you never see the disabled get off the plane at the end.

Comment

I believe he was commenting on all the phonies. Woman I saw in an airport wheekchair, getting on the plane with me, lobbying the gate attendant for an up grade to 1st class, because see had trouble walking. She didn't get it. On arrival she got up, grabbed her bag and was gone off the plane. Cured.
                          Disney world is full of phonies. You see one person riding in the chair and someone else pushing them. Half hour later they've switched places.
                          I've asked and I'm not allowed to shoot them in the foot.

Comment

Originally posted by baldfatdad View Post
                            Disney world is full of phonies. You see one person riding in the chair and someone else pushing them. Half hour later they've switched places.
                            Cue jaw drop... wow, I guess you can call me naive but that really shocked and sickened me. I assume they do it for shorter ride waits? I read here that when you're in a chair at amusement parks you don't wait in line the same.
                            Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Comment

this had no place in a professional presentation. the ill informed dr. was using the old adage we are all taught: start your presentation with a joke. unfortunately, his idea of a joke was not funny. what was his email again? he said it so fast.

i really enjoyed your video though had to slow down scrolling text thank you for the video.

Comment

Working...
                              X