Push Girls- can you do that?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Push Girls- can you do that?

Does anyone else go down stairs the way Tiphany did on PUSH GIRLS? As soon as I saw that I told my husband that I have to do it. So awesome! Any tips to help me achieve that?
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

I don't even go off curbs. I guess that should be my motivation to learn.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Comment

I don't either Addiesue. I know I can do it if that drama queen can. I'm trying it with my husband spotting me until I can get it conquered!
      DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

Comment

They taught me at Shepherd when I was there for rehab but I still don't feel comfortable doing it lol
        www.adventuresofcolinandheather.blogspot.com !

Comment

a friend of mine learned how to do it after 9/11 but i havent tried.
          "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
          http://www.elportavoz.com/

Comment

Comment

------------------------
              Last edited by stephen212; 5 Jun 2012, 1:49 PM.
              stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

Originally posted by NW-Will View Post
                Very nicely done!
                "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

They taught me at Shepherd also--But, I have never tried to do it since rehab. I guess I am not brave enough!!
                  Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

Yeah Shepherd taught me also and you can actually go down the stairs pretty fast depending on the technique. The key is to lean forward over the front casters.

Comment

Originally posted by offroaderswife View Post
                      Does anyone else go down stairs the way Tiphany did on PUSH GIRLS? Any tips to help me achieve that?
                      Your description doesn't provide any details on how we can help you, but from the youtube video above I assume you saw this person go down the stairs backwards with the help of a railing?

Yes, this is the easiest and safest way and I have done it many times. The key, as someone else mentioned, is keeping your weight as forward as you can over the front casters. It's just like riding an escalator. You do need a bit of hand and arm strength, but as long as you maintain that forward center of gravity you should be okay.

Because your hand on the railing is controlling 90% of your descent, you want as much of your weight as close to that control point as possible, which is why you need to lean forward. You should be able to stop in the middle of the stairs at any point and be almost balanced - so much so that you'd only need a finger or two to hold on to the railing and your wheel.

The work is fairly basic - you lower yourself with your railing hand and then hold yourself with your wheel hand as you reposition your railing hand. Repeat as necessary.

I suggest trying this with AB help and on a set of stairs that has a low rise-over-run - i.e. small, long steps, like these:

Good luck!
                      Last edited by brian; 5 Jun 2012, 11:43 AM.

Comment

The clip I saw Brian, was she just went straight forward, and bumped down 3 or 4 steps.

I was taught curbs, but hate it. The jarring as I go down gives me a headache, and generally isn;t worth it.

I wouldn't even attempt stairs like that. Unless maybe the building was on fire, lol.
                        T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

Originally posted by sjean423 View Post
                          The clip I saw Brian, was she just went straight forward, and bumped down 3 or 4 steps.

I was taught curbs, but hate it. The jarring as I go down gives me a headache, and generally isn;t worth it.

A trick I use for curbs that makes the landing more comfortable is to let one wheel land just before the other. That way it's like you're stepping down rather than landing with a THUD. It makes it a bit softer.

In the case of going down stairs forwards, I have done that, too, but only on a small flight of 2-4 stairs. I can't offer any advice because it's all about balance and finesse.

Comment

She did the stairs but I think the original poster was talking about when she casually came out the door and bumped down 2 steps while in a wheelie like it was nothing.

Oh sorry S jean, I should read first then post.
                            If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Comment

Finesse I do not have......

Comment

Working...
                              X