2 years ago. It flew by so fast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 years ago. It flew by so fast

exactly 2 years ago today I was getting all dolled up for my bachelorette party. Little did I know hours later at 2 am may 23rd my life would change forever. 2 years is a little bit harder than the first because it feels so permanent. Which I know it is anyways so I don't know why it matters. I'm totally fine but my mom is a basket case. Many people don't know that I got hurt on her bday. Sux. I hope my friend is doing ok as we'll. She always fakes a smile but I know it breaks her heart. I am looking forward to this year though. I plan to write a book, drive, and get independent completely. Well except for the more personal things I'll need help with. But once I can consistently get out of bed on my own and drive, my mom can move back home. Who knows. Maybe a little Rachelle or Chris is in the cards this year

Not sure if the image will work

Www.rachellefriedman.com

Follow me on Facebook at
    www.facebook.com/rachelleandchris

Follow me on twitter at
    www.twitter.com/followrachelle

Www.wheelstrong.com

sigpic

It can all change in a flash, as we all know too well. Congrats on a very successful two years!
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Rachelle, your feelings are totally normal, as I am sure you know. What is amazing to me is how very well you have done, consistently striving to improve yourself on every front. I know some people here get bent out of shape when someone says congratulations on an injury anniversary, but I do congratulate you on two years of not just survivorship, but of being an amazing person in general!

Comment

This SCI stuff is brutal but somehow doable. You are exactly right about the permanency. It is the absolute hardest part. Prepare to be disabled for life, fight like mad to have a good life along the way and maybe you'll be nicely surprised by a cure in the future. Life is a marathon (sci or not) so pace yourself but again try to maximize your enjoyment no matter what your circumstances. Keep fighting for a great life!

Comment

There are some dates I can recall on cue, the day my son shot himself, our anniversary and that millisecond on Sept 23 I fell thru the roof, one moment we were laughing & joking the next its gone.. I was tying myself in knots at first thinking this healing is taking way to long I need to push harder!! Wrong I seem to have my head on straight now a day at a time feels right.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for your support these past 2 yrs
            Www.rachellefriedman.com

Follow me on Facebook at

Follow me on twitter at

Www.wheelstrong.com

sigpic

Comment

It must be bittersweet to see that picture and go back to the day when everything changed so quickly.
              I hope your Mom and friend are doing as well as possible today.
              You have handled things with much grace Rachelle.

Comment

congratulations!! you have done so much these past two years, you have such drive and that is needed for this sci life. take the time to feel what you want to feel, reflect but also to congratulate yourself.

it must be hard for your friend. have you two spoken in these 2 years?

and the future looks great! babies are awesome and your kids will be welcome members here!
                "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
                http://www.elportavoz.com/

Comment

Eileen said it best. And you are kicking ass of your own accord, bravo!

Ready to pounce on news of a little one .. now I'll be bugging! lol

Sorry about your friend ... she'll probably NEVER get over that. The only experience I have is my best friend, her car wreck, her broken neck and her boyfriend (married only 2yrs barely) without a scratch ... he's a basket-case more than twenty years later ... but it's by his own poor choices afterwards.

Concentrate on you.
                  Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

??

You want life to slow down? Get a good Yoga routine

Comment

Me and my friend are still super close. She remained a bridesmaid. We talked last night and she's actually doing better than expected
                      Www.rachellefriedman.com

Follow me on Facebook at

Follow me on twitter at

Www.wheelstrong.com

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ECUrach85 View Post
                        Thanks to everyone for your support these past 2 yrs
                        I absolutely love your website. Very inspiring! Good luck in all of your future endeavors!
                        Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

Anniversary dates are tough. Hitting the two year mark was tough on us too. Before we hit that two year mark we had more hope of any return, now, eh, not so much and it hits you like a brick. You toss off the brick, have a moment and continue to kick ass.

You have plowed through what you need to learn, gained independence, tried out sports, etc......even advocacy! Just awesome. You've come a long way chica.

Comment

I'll be 3 years on May 31st, also my Mothers Birthday. If only I could change the day. I am fine being paralyzed, life is what it is. Just hate seeing mom think about me rather than enjoy her day. Strive for independence, you will be thrilled with your accomplishments, and your mom will think its a super nice gift. All the best!

Charlie

Comment

Weird how we gotta be the strong one for those around us eh?

I like your goals... learning to drive and doing your transfers will be so helpful! It's great to be able to go where you want, by yourself if you want, at any time of day. I used to have to rely on my parents & GF to help me in/out of bed, and friends to drive me places. Of course that also had to be on their schedule. Once I figured it out on my own, life got that much better. MAJOR quality of life improvements on the way
                              Last edited by Rrrrronnn; 24 May 2012, 12:29 PM.
                              "If ya don't have it in the hips, ya better have it in the lips..." ~ Charlie - Villa Dulce

Comment

Working...
                              X