Never Forget!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never Forget!

Don't want to pee in the punch bowl of the TGIF party, but let's take a minute to remember something that happened in AMERICA on this day that we should NEVER forget, and NEVER, NEVER LET IT BE REPEATED!
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Wow, May 4th. Dates don't stick with me anymore....

You know the hell of it...I lived and worked about 20 miles away. I had good friends on both sides. We talked about it a lot and never really could decide what happened. Near as we could figure, there were a couple of "activists" with their own agenda that had nothing to do with the war on one side, and a couple of "teach them a lesson" army general wannabes on the other. A lot of innonence kids got caught in the middle.

Comment

Originally posted by willingtocope View Post
      Wow, May 4th. Dates don't stick with me anymore....

You know the hell of it...I lived and worked about 20 miles away. I had good friends on both sides. We talked about it a lot and never really could decide what happened. Near as we could figure, there were a couple of "activists" with their own agenda that had nothing to do with the war on one side, and a couple of "teach them a lesson" army general wannabes on the other. A lot of innonence kids got caught in the middle.
      One thing we can all agree on is that it was a horrific tragedy that should have never happened and can never be allowed to happen again.
      Foolish

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

Excellent post FO. I remember so vividly when that happened. For a young person it was another reason to distrust authority.

Comment

Originally posted by LindaT View Post
          Excellent post FO. I remember so vividly when that happened. For a young person it was another reason to distrust authority.
          I'm not old enough to remember it happening, but I agree with the last part. I just live my life hoping the guys with guns are on my side. You never know.

Comment

I'm puzzled by something.

First, let me say I supported the troups that went to Vietnam. I thought the war was wrong from the beginning, but that was the fault of the political leadership...not the guys on the ground. I was saddened to see the way the grunts were treated when they came home. Again, I had some friends in that group, including some that didn't come back.

Now, we're engaged in wars that are even more stupid than vietnam (again, politics..Yeah, okay, Bib Laden...30 seals took him out...why didn't that happen 10 years ago?), but this time, the people coming home get the respect they deserve.

How come? Why was a vietnam vet scum, and an iraq/afghan viet a hero?

Comment

I think it depends on who you ask. I know plenty of people that have very little respect for hired killers, regardless of which uniform they wear, religion they practice, or the era they exist.

And others that believe that a standing army of a nation at peace turns into an Imperial army in order to justify its existence.

Generally speaking, I think the American public is more convinced of the need to kill radical Muslims than they were south east Asian Commies.

Boils down to the theme of the narrative presented by the retail media producers.

It wouldnt take much focus on the worst aspects of war by retail media to change public opinion, IMO.

First, let me say I supported the troups that went to Vietnam. I thought the war was wrong from the beginning, but that was the fault of the political leadership...not the guys on the ground. I was saddened to see the way the grunts were treated when they came home. Again, I had some friends in that group, including some that didn't come back.

Now, we're engaged in wars that are even more stupid than vietnam (again, politics..Yeah, okay, Bib Laden...30 seals took him out...why didn't that happen 10 years ago?), but this time, the people coming home get the respect they deserve.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

To a large part because many realized that the shabby treatment of the Vietnam Vets was undeserved. As folks matured, they came to understand that those kids that got drafted to Vietnam, and the ones who volunteered were as much victims of that war as those in the country they ravaged.

A country has learned to separate those who go to defend us from those who send kids to kill or die for all the wrong reasons.
                Foolish

Comment

Agree with what you just said...except maybe the "defend us" part.

Taking Iraq's oil off the market was the primary reason for that war...and the mineral rights to the stuff in the ground in NE Afghanistan is why we're there.

Neither one of those makes me feel safer.

Comment

Agree with what you just said...except maybe the "defend us" part.

Taking Iraq's oil off the market was the primary reason for that war...and the mineral rights to the stuff in the ground in NE Afghanistan is why we're there.

Neither one of those makes me feel safer.
                    Kids don't put on the uniform to manipulate the oil markets, even if that's why they get sent.
                    Foolish

Comment

Agreed. Kids had nothing to do with this...other than being the ones shot at.

Comment

Agreed. Kids had nothing to do with this...other than being the ones shot at.
                        'The kids', or 'responsible grown men', as I like to refer to them, are also willing to do the shooting, regardless of why they are ordered to. I have a hard time seperating shooters from orderers. It takes all kinds.

To treat them as the defenders of our freedom when we KNOW they are being ordered to fight for resources and economics is a form of lying, mostly to help us feel better about the righteousness of our global military Empire.

Why is it honorable to volunteer to kill people for resources under the LIE of defending 'freedom'?!
                        "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

It was a sobering experience watching that on the TV news back then. I had been in protests at Pitt just a few years earlier. Sadly, when I came to South Carolina, I learned that just two years before Kent State a similar event occurred at South Carolina State University, a historically Black school. State police opened fire on a campus protest against local segregation. Three were killed and another 28 injured during the "Orangeburg Massacre." Most had been shot in the back.
                          You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
                          http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
                          http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Comment

It was a different war and different era. The atmosphere was a lot different then. I remember the graphic film on the 6:00 news every night during supper.
                            The Mai Lai massacre fueled a lot of trouble.
                            It was terrible the way some of the public and government treated the returning troops. Not owning up to agent orange being one of them.

Comment

What happened at Kent State is etched into my brain like acid onto metal.
                              The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
                              --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
                              ––Paul Nussbaum
                              usc87.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                              X