Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How did you become paralyzed?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How did you become paralyzed?

    I don't know why the thought of this came to mind but it did. Possibly because the chances of what happen to me are one million to one.

    I got laid off from my job in February of 2007 and in March, my sister in law offered me a position as her Administrative Assistant in Phoenix. At the time, I resided in Northern California in the San Francisco Bay Area. On March 11, 2007, I had sold all of my furniture and I had my car all packed. I fell asleep in my recliner and my best friend came over the next morning to say goodbye to me and he knocked on my door and got no answer. Secondly, he saw my car in the carport and got worried. He rushed to the leasing office, got a hold of a leasing agent, entered my apartment and found me in my recliner in my chair unconscious with my chin resting on my chest. They called 911 and I became conscious about five or six hours later with four physicians surrounding me convey that I had become paralyzed from the t7 level of my spinal cord which, of course was from the chest down. I was told that I suffered a "Spinal Cord Infartion" due from low blood pressure.

    I have suffered one complication after another. A need for a baclofen pump due to sever spaascity, a supra pubic catheter, before, during and after, I was experiencing one UTI after another. I haven't had one in well over a years. I had a colostomy inserted due to continuous impaction over and over a again. Removal of my gallbladder, surgery on both heels due to a bad infection that required six weeks in a nursing home on vancomycin (sp) and zoson (sp). One flap on my ischial (sp) back in February of 2010 followed by NINE admissions into t. Joseph's hospital in Phoenix for various reasons. and I am in a nursing home now waiting for another one but my wound is ready but my nutritional values are low so i am loading myself up with juven, prostate an tons of protein. The first flap was due to me not doing proper pressure relief. This flap is due to my insurance company not providing me with the correct mattress. They gave me a standard mattress instead of a low air loss mattress due to according to them medicare guidelines indicate you much have a stage two wound first. What type of preventative care is that. I call it BULLSHIT.I'll tell you something you all, I have been through hell and back.............BUT:

    Overall, I have my head on my shoulders, I am strong and NOTHING is going to stop me now.......NOTHING!! Bring it on!

    In a nutshell, that is my story. What does anyone else have to share? Talk to me! :- >

    Michael

  • #2
    Originally posted by michael5462 View Post
    I don't know why the thought of this came to mind but it did. Possibly because the chances of what happen to me are one million to one.

    I got laid off from my job in February of 2007 and in March, my sister in law offered me a position as her Administrative Assistant in Phoenix. At the time, I resided in Northern California in the San Francisco Bay Area. On March 11, 2007, I had sold all of my furniture and I had my car all packed. I fell asleep in my recliner and my best friend came over the next morning to say goodbye to me and he knocked on my door and got no answer. Secondly, he saw my car in the carport and got worried. He rushed to the leasing office, got a hold of a leasing agent, entered my apartment and found me in my recliner in my chair unconscious with my chin resting on my chest. They called 911 and I became conscious about five or six hours later with four physicians surrounding me convey that I had become paralyzed from the t7 level of my spinal cord which, of course was from the chest down. I was told that I suffered a "Spinal Cord Infartion" due from low blood pressure.

    I have suffered one complication after another. A need for a baclofen pump due to sever spaascity, a supra pubic catheter, before, during and after, I was experiencing one UTI after another. I haven't had one in well over a years. I had a colostomy inserted due to continuous impaction over and over a again. Removal of my gallbladder, surgery on both heels due to a bad infection that required six weeks in a nursing home on vancomycin (sp) and zoson (sp). One flap on my ischial (sp) back in February of 2010 followed by NINE admissions into t. Joseph's hospital in Phoenix for various reasons. and I am in a nursing home now waiting for another one but my wound is ready but my nutritional values are low so i am loading myself up with juven, prostate an tons of protein. The first flap was due to me not doing proper pressure relief. This flap is due to my insurance company not providing me with the correct mattress. They gave me a standard mattress instead of a low air loss mattress due to according to them medicare guidelines indicate you much have a stage two wound first. What type of preventative care is that. I call it BULLSHIT.I'll tell you something you all, I have been through hell and back.............BUT:

    Overall, I have my head on my shoulders, I am strong and NOTHING is going to stop me now.......NOTHING!! Bring it on!

    In a nutshell, that is my story. What does anyone else have to share? Talk to me! :- >

    Michael
    Hi Michael my Care Cure friende. Yes, Michael your right you sure have been through hell and back again. Are you on the right kind of mattress now? Besides low air loss the mattress should also have alternating pressure. I had a Span America alternating pressure mattress and was not comfortable to sleep on and I would wake up the next day with a sweaty back cause it was not low air loss also. It only had four air tubes that were vertical instead of a whole bunch horizontal the length of the mattress. Now I have a HILL-ROM Low Air Loss/Alternating Pressure which I like a lot better and I don't wake up next day with a sweaty back.
    Sorry that your in a Nursing home again. Wish I didn't live so far away or I would visit you. There's another fellow here on Care Cure who lives in Arizona who is a quad and he's had a lot of problems with pressure sores as well his name is Ryan I think his site name is Captain Gimp. If you want put his name in the block in the upper right hand corner of this sites home page and do a Google Search on his name on Care Cure. Did you ever get to go to work at all with your sister in law? Have you contacted your states Vocational Rehabilitation Office at all since you became paralyzed? I have here in Florida and they have been helpful to me. Sent me to school, paid for transport van to/from school the 2 times I went to training for different subjects. Have also paid me gas money for driving myself to/from school, spent 10's of thousands of dollars on my 3 vehicles that I've had over the years. Bought me clothes. If you havn't done so Michael I highly suggest that you call and see if someone will come see you in the Nursing Home unless you can go to them to be interviewed. Are you in a manual or a power chair? What make wheelchair cushion are you sitting on? Since your having pressure sore problems a power chair with tilt n recline would do you good that way when in the chair you can get pressure off your backside that way several times a day.
    Well, Michael, that's about all for now ! Hope to hear back from you when you have a chance to send me a reply.
    I wish you a speedy recovery after your flap surgery. Are you by chance a fellow Veteran? If you are and not using the VA you should sign up as there is a lot of free equipment, medical supplies etc that you can get from Spinal Cord Injury Service at the VA. The VA doesn't charge the Veteran for Prosthetics/Orthotics and other DME items.

    Regards,
    Bob
    Your Care Cure Friend.
    Spring Hill, Fl

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by RAFS View Post
      Hi Michael my Care Cure friende. Yes, Michael your right you sure have been through hell and back again. Are you on the right kind of mattress now? Besides low air loss the mattress should also have alternating pressure. I had a Span America alternating pressure mattress and was not comfortable to sleep on and I would wake up the next day with a sweaty back cause it was not low air loss also. It only had four air tubes that were vertical instead of a whole bunch horizontal the length of the mattress. Now I have a HILL-ROM Low Air Loss/Alternating Pressure which I like a lot better and I don't wake up next day with a sweaty back.
      Sorry that your in a Nursing home again. Wish I didn't live so far away or I would visit you. There's another fellow here on Care Cure who lives in Arizona who is a quad and he's had a lot of problems with pressure sores as well his name is Ryan I think his site name is Captain Gimp. If you want put his name in the block in the upper right hand corner of this sites home page and do a Google Search on his name on Care Cure. Did you ever get to go to work at all with your sister in law? Have you contacted your states Vocational Rehabilitation Office at all since you became paralyzed? I have here in Florida and they have been helpful to me. Sent me to school, paid for transport van to/from school the 2 times I went to training for different subjects. Have also paid me gas money for driving myself to/from school, spent 10's of thousands of dollars on my 3 vehicles that I've had over the years. Bought me clothes. If you havn't done so Michael I highly suggest that you call and see if someone will come see you in the Nursing Home unless you can go to them to be interviewed. Are you in a manual or a power chair? What make wheelchair cushion are you sitting on? Since your having pressure sore problems a power chair with tilt n recline would do you good that way when in the chair you can get pressure off your backside that way several times a day.
      Well, Michael, that's about all for now ! Hope to hear back from you when you have a chance to send me a reply.
      I wish you a speedy recovery after your flap surgery. Are you by chance a fellow Veteran? If you are and not using the VA you should sign up as there is a lot of free equipment, medical supplies etc that you can get from Spinal Cord Injury Service at the VA. The VA doesn't charge the Veteran for Prosthetics/Orthotics and other DME items.

      Regards,
      Bob
      Your Care Cure Friend.
      Spring Hill, Fl
      PS: In last message to you forgot to say I to have a colostomy and suprapubic catheter. Was cathed with the SP 2/05 and 12/09 had the colostomy surgery. I use Convatec Ostomy Supplies how about your self Michael?
      Bob

      Comment


      • #4
        Hi Michael, You surely have had complications after a very unusual injury.
        I hope they are good to you at the NH. Keep up the good fight.
        My husband fell when shaking the branch of an apple tree that broke) to get the ones that were on the top of the tree.
        He broke C4, but the damage to his spinal cord is C3 complete.

        Comment


        • #5
          hi!! i'm sorry that you've been through so much! how scary to fall asleep and then wake up with drs around you :/

          i was injured in a car accident when i was 22mos old in may of 1985. i've had some conflicting reports on what happened that day(some say i was ejected, but when i asked my mom she said no but wouldnt say what happened)

          i have a brain injury and am an incomplete quad c5 - 8 t2&3 never had this fancy ASIA ratings done so i have no clue on that point.

          i hope you get better as i understand how draining being constantly ill can be.
          "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
          http://www.elportavoz.com/

          Comment


          • #6
            I was injured in 2011. I was shot in the back. A girl i was dateing ex was upset she was moving on after she put a restraining order on him. So one night i leave her place to discover i have a flat tire I decide to drive on the rim to the gas station a block away. When i start my car i see he ex walking out of the shadows. at first i was going to get out of the car then i saw he had a gun and i punched it and my car was shot 6 times the first shot hitting me in the left side of my back and exiting the right side of my back. I was into body building and was "big" 5'9 200lb that saved me in away. the bullet did no damage to my spine I had no broken bones just a punctured right lung and some how a spinal cord injury at t10?

            Comment


            • #7
              April 25, 1993 I was out party with 3 other friends and we had a wreck. All 4 of us were thrown from the vehicle and as a result I became a T4,5,6 incomplete. I have 95% sensation in my right leg but cannot move it and no sensation in my left leg but I can move it some, just not good enough to walk or stand with. I was 20 yrs old at the time. I did my rehab at Shepherd Ctr. in Atlanta.
              SCI Birthday: April 25, 1993
              T4,5,6 Incomplete
              Chair: TiLite TR3

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by RAFS
                There's another fellow here on Care Cure who lives in Arizona who is a quad and he's had a lot of problems with pressure sores as well his name is Ryan I think his site name is Captain Gimp.
                I think his name is rybread. There are a few people here that live in Phoenix. Good luck Michael, sorry you've been through hell. RAFS, that's a great post, you're a good guy.
                Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
                Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

                Thanks!

                Comment


                • #9
                  I had a bad landing while skydiving. I hit one of those thick steel cattle fences at about 30mph. It would be easier to tell you what I didn't break

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    In a way it helps to hear how others' injuries happened...to know you aren't alone. Everyone here has quite a story to tell.
                    My injury happened when I was 17 on a trampoline. It was the first and last time I used one of these large backyard trampolines. I hurt my neck (at c4/5) when my brother accidentally landed on top of me as I was sort of sitting position. Of course, we both wish my injury happened differently but what can you do... Though my injury was incomplete I was on a vent for about 2 months, which I got off of in rehab at Kessler in NJ. It's been a long road but I've had a good amount of recovery (though not enough) and can move my arms (and wrists) pretty well.
                    C4/5 incomplete, 17 years since injury

                    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” - Carlos Castaneda

                    "We live not alone but chained to a creature of a different kingdom: our body." - Marcel Proust

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by KyleP2112 View Post
                      In a way it helps to hear how others' injuries happened...to know you aren't alone. Everyone here has quite a story to tell.
                      My injury happened when I was 17 on a trampoline. It was the first and last time I used one of these large backyard trampolines. I hurt my neck (at c4/5) when my brother accidentally landed on top of me as I was sort of sitting position. Of course, we both wish my injury happened differently but what can you do... Though my injury was incomplete I was on a vent for about 2 months, which I got off of in rehab at Kessler in NJ. It's been a long road but I've had a good amount of recovery (though not enough) and can move my arms (and wrists) pretty well.
                      I hate, hate, hate my nephew's backyard trampoline.
                      I'm going to take a knife to it the next time they are out of town.

                      crypticgimp, were you in a car seat?
                      Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        5 years ago today my daughter and I were rear-ended by a garbage truck when the traffic in front of me slowed down. She brought it up last night.
                        2012 SCINetUSA Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
                        Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Freak Motorcycle Accident out in middle of no where Broke my neck and mid back

                          I try not to think of those memories

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Another motorcycle accident here! Gave it a bit too much throttle accelerating up a slip-road onto the motorway, slipped back on the seat and it went up into a wheelie, crapped myself and let go of the throttle (instead of gently easing off or pulling clutch in). The front came down hard and the back wheel locked up under engine braking and did tank-slapper and went into the fence at the side of the motorway. Just a bit of bad luck and inexperience, I was lucky someone saw it because my bike was hidden in the undergrowth. Pretty embarassing crashing in a straight line!

                            Broke left clavical, every rib on my right side, lacerated my right lung pretty badly, both lungs collapsed. Tore my diaphram, ruptured liver and splien, and a burst fracture of my T11 Vertabrae. Nobody thought i'd live, even the surgeon told my friends and family not to get their hopes up! The first operation was 10 hours long, and I had 80 Units of blood put into me!!! Another 4 Hr op the next day, and it was 2 weeks before I was stable enough to be put on my front to fix my spine.

                            At least no-one else was involved and I've got no-one to blame but myself, made it a lot easier to come to terms with it. I was more upset about my bike than I was myself! Just a case of shit happens, I could have easily fallen off a ladder at the constuction site and ended up in a chair.

                            Michael, hope you get back to at least a bit of normality soon, when you're out of the nursing home and everything's healed up properly.
                            T11 Asia A after near-fatal bike crash.. Just happy to still be here

                            No, I didn't loose my mind... It got scared and ran away!!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by november View Post
                              I hate, hate, hate my nephew's backyard trampoline.
                              I'm going to take a knife to it the next time they are out of town.

                              crypticgimp, were you in a car seat?
                              yes... i was in a car seat (why does everyone ask that question?) lol my older brother was too and was also injured.
                              "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
                              http://www.elportavoz.com/

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X