Scars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scars

I'm sure most of us have scars. I have a bunch, most before my injury, I was a tomboy and played sports all throughout my ab life. I was over at huffingtonpost and read a piece about scars. Readers could also submit pictures of their own scars. Wow, there were some horrific scars some from cancer and sports injuries. But what interested me the most, was that alot of them were from self-infliction. I think it's called "cutting" or something like that. Do you like your scars? I like mine - they are definitely battle wounds. Here's the link.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...le=Rock_Bottom
    A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child

I like mine WTF. I call them my badges of life. I have a couple dimples on the side of my head from a halo. My students would ask about them and I told them i got shot with an arrow and it went clean thru my head. They were primary and elementary students and I would eventually tell them the truth. The highschoolers I would tell them the same answer but doubt I ever corrected it just to confuse them.

Comment

I didnt look at your link yet, so I'm replying just off your post. I felt compelled to, probably because its a recent post so the lack of replies is giving me some false confidence

I have lots of different scars. I wouldn't say I'm proud of them or even like them. I have scars from surgery, injury, and yes "cutting"/self injury. I have difficulty processing my emotions and went through a lot. I've mentioned it before here but I was abused growing up. Alcoholism runs rampant in my family, so none of us are really the best at dealing with emotions! Cutting was a mood stabilizer to me during my teenage years at home. After I moved out it rather quickly declined but still happened here and there under extreme stress when I knew no other way to deal.

My cutting scars are all hidden on my upper thighs. Very few people have seen them. I get very uncomfortable when Drs have to see them. Typically if a medical professional says anything, its only to ask/verify that they're all very old.

I do know some people that are proud of their SI scars. I can somewhat understand it, to some its a reminder of strength with what one has been through and gone past. I'm comfortable talking about it at this point in my life, but I don't think I'll ever "like" them or even feel comfortable just showing them passively to the public.

The surgery and injury scars I don't mind. Again I don't like them, but with some I do enjoy the funny explanations of how I got them. I'm a total klutz and my disorder causes skin issues which results in scarring from things that normally wouldn't scar, and oversized or keloid scarring. It also causes a lot of stretch marks which I dislike, but I'm more accepting of them now than when I was a teenager. Lots of people have stretch marks from age or weight fluctuations, so I just have more than usual thats all!
      Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Comment

Scars are tattoos with better stories.

Comment

Have a scar on my back, from chicken pox(I only had like 6 pox, but they were big) Years later my daughter wanted to know what it was from, soo, I made up I was shot with an arrow by an Indian, but got away.
          Gawd help me, she later was talking to my wife, and she let her know the truth. Gawd I was the worst father for .. well she still holds it against me, that was 30 yrs ago. Gawd can't they take a joke?

Comment

Originally posted by baldfatdad View Post
            Oh, I love that!

I have written here about the scar I have in the shape of a Dodge emblem from leaning back on a blazing hot Dodge emblem on the seat of our car. I need someone to come up with a good story for how I got that one!!
            C5/C6

Comment

i have a huge scar from my 3rd spinal fusion where they went in anteriorly. so my whole right side has that half moon shaped scar. i tell ppl i got bit by a shark :P

the one down my back from my 1st and 2nd fusions are not super notoceable tho it runs the whole length of my back.
              one is on my face from the glass that got me in the car accident.
              i have many others. i honestly don't think about them but i cant imagine not having them <shrugs>
              "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
              http://www.elportavoz.com/

Comment

Originally posted by baldfatdad View Post
                Thats so true
                keep your head up!

Comment

First one from spinal fusion. Next 4 from god awful halo. Sixth from bladder surgery. Seventh Mitro surgery. Eigth from cancer surgery. Ninth from biopsy.

They dont bother me at all.
                  Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

Comment

Originally posted by leschinsky View Post
                    First one from spinal fusion. Next 4 from god awful halo. Sixth from bladder surgery. Seventh Mitro surgery. Eigth from cancer surgery. Ninth from biopsy.

They dont bother me at all.
                    ah! i have the mitro too. scar goes down to my pubic line. let's call that the road map to the promise land lol
                    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
                    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Comment

I have several scars (around an inch or less) prior to my injury. Post SCI I have: 2 tong holes, 4 halo holes, 1 (4-5") neck fusion surgery scar, 2 large scapular area scars from deep pressure sores that developed under the halo, 2 or 3 merged scars on my tailbone from early pressure sores, 1 SP cath hole (not exactly a scar), 2 smaller ischium area sore scars and 1 huge right leg/ischium area flap surgery scar, and had surgery on my toes to fix curled up toes (so there's 10 more small ones) plus the 2 tendons I had to have cut on the inside of my ankles where my feet began to draw in and two other surgeries on my right foot where the outer metatarsal was ground down and causing pressure and underneath the the 2nd metatarsal head that had to be ground down too. I lost count, but since I don't often see them I don't think about them unless asked. I'm not self-conscious about them though... their part of my life story. Yea!

Comment

I hate mine. The biggest I didn't get any say in as my parents signed the surgical consent form. Hate every single one.
                        Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

The perfectionist in me hates scars; but I do embrace the scars on my back because it looks as if an angel had its wings torn off, so I love the symbolism.

Comment

I'm surprised no one has mentioned burn scars. One of the first things we did was to put me on the floor of a motel shower not realizing the hot water pipe ran around the wall. The next morning we saw the terrible burn on my leg. I have a scar that looks like a zucchini slice on the top of my leg. I dropped it while cooking. There are some scars from an electric teakettle that I would forget was plugged in. When it got to the end of the cord it would tip and spill. I never went to a Dr. for a burn, so am fortunate they never got infected.
                            C5/C6

Comment

eek! I can imagine the issue with burns for you guys. I've got a nasty burn on my left arm because I didn't feel I was being burned until too late, result of some nerve damage. I also have issues dropping things and last year my roommate had to rush me to the ER after I spilled boiling water on myself, it continued to burn me through my wet clothes until I got them off. The only scarring though is along the inside of my right ankle and foot, I think that sock was the last item I tore off.
                              Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Comment

Working...
                              X