No announcement yet.

Bear with me

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Bear with me

    If a new disabled immigrant is moving to the US, what state will be suitable for him, facilities for living and work and also economically.

    and if he's preparing an equivalency pharmacy exam, what states have the best modified pharmacies to accommodate a disabled pharmacist during training and work.

    Move to Canada, it seems people are treated fairly up North.

    My state of Pennsylvania is cutting practicily every program for the poor and disabled that was ever funded. I have never been so concerned about anything in my entire life. What a terrible time to need some help after working hard, mostly for the public for 35 years.

    I truely wish them the best of luck.
    Last edited by forestranger52; 11 Feb 2012, 8:09 PM.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

    Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

    Teddy Roosevelt


      Yeah, you might have better luck moving to Canada.
      Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

      T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12


        Washington St. is currenbtly looking for pharmasist all the time. Good Luck


          There's a couple disabled pharmacists on here, hopefully you can get one of them to chime in on the job aspect of it.


            Keep in mind that it is not easy to get an immigration visa for the USA if you have a disability, unless you already have a job and a skill that is in short supply. Generally this would require that you be sponsored by your employer.

            The VA healthcare system is a great employer, but unfortunately you must be a USA citizen to be considered for employment with them. I believe this is also true with the US Public Health Service and Indian Health Service.

            You are also not eligible as an immigrant to apply for SSI, SSDI, Medicaid nor Medicare. There is a waiting period of at least 5 years (as I remember) of residency before you can do so. It will be critical therefore that you find an employer who will provide you with health care benefits/insurance (and not hire you as an independent contractor or part-time worker; as they often do not get benefits at all).

            Given the above, there is really not a lot of variation in the USA as far as employers who are cooperative with making reasonable accommodations for employees with disabilities, since the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) is a national law. Some states, such as CA have even more stringent laws in addition though. You will find costs of living (housing especially) do vary significantly between large urban areas in states such as CA, NY, IL, WA, but more rural areas and states with a lot of rural areas are generally more reasonable. Rural areas though are much less likely to have wheelchair accessible public transportation and health services that you may require with a SCI.

            The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.


              Thanx KLD, always informative and to the point.


                We like warm weather lads, what about Texas or Alabama, which one rates better on the disability-accessible scale.