New reality show coming "Push Girls"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here they are. And this paragraph from the Sundance Channel:
    Taking a matter-of-fact attitude towards their disabilities, PUSH GIRLS offers a candid view of the women as they pursue their own claims to happiness as they enter different stages of their lives. Angela is a down-to-earth, stunningly gorgeous model who has recently become separated from her husband. Auti, a dancer, rapper, actress and all-around powerhouse, is crossing her fingers that, at age 42, she can try for a baby with her husband. Reflective and pragmatic Mia is taking stock of her relationship with her able-bodied boyfriend; a onetime competitive swimmer, she is about to attempt to swim for the first time since high school. Flirty, wisecracking Tiphany is doing some deep soul-searching about her sexuality, settling down and finding her calling in life.

All the best,
    GJ

Comment

i wish they had women in power chairs, and older women, or just women who dont fit the "sexy" mold spelled out in the media. but this could be a step in the right direction...we'll see.
      Courage, it would seem, is nothing less than the power to overcome danger, misfortune, fear, injustice, while continuing to affirm inwardly that life with all its sorrows is good; that everything is meaningful even if in a sense beyond our understanding; and that there is always tomorrow.
      -Dorothy Thompson

Comment

We can only hope they have some sort of cure dialog throughout the shows. Wouldn't it be great if one of the ongoing stories was one of the wive's work in some sort of cure advocacy role?

Comment

2 of them are models for Colours wheelchairs
          Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Comment

April 2012, get yourselves ready for ''Push Girls''

Sundance Channel greenlights new, original non-fiction series PUSH GIRLS

Docu-Series Explores The Lives Of Four Women As They Tackle Everyday Challenges, All While Living With Paralysis

Push Girl \’pu̇sh ’gər(-ə)l\ noun, definition:
            a) A fierce, fearless female who is not helpless, hapless or hopeless.
            b) A powerful woman who might be confined by a wheelchair but does not let her paralysis confine or define her life.
            c) A person who sheds their handicap and faces life head on.

In the same way “Murderball,” winner of the 2005 Audience Award for Best Documentary at the Sundance Film Festival, took the lid off the competitive world of “wheelchair rugby,” Sundance Channel is bringing an unfettered, uncensored glimpse at what it means to be sexy, ambitious and living with paralysis in Hollywood with PUSH GIRLS, a new original non-fiction series from producer Gay Rosenthal (“Ruby,” “Little People, Big World”). Sundance Channel has ordered 14 episodes of the half-hour long docu-series, tracing the lives of four dynamic, outspoken and beautiful women who, by accident or illness, have been paralyzed from the neck or the waist down. The announcement was made today by Sarah Barnett, Sundance Channel General Manager. The series, which is currently in production, is slated to premiere in April 2012.

“The indomitable spirit of this series will give viewers permission to stare at a world that they may previously have been too polite – or too frightened – to explore,” says Barnett. “Sundance Channel allows the PUSH GIRLS to convey the stark reality of their lives, something our broadminded audience will appreciate. We are remarkably fortunate to get to work with this exceptional group of women.”

Gay Rosenthal commented, “Watching the PUSH GIRLS tackling life with spirit and confidence is not only inspiring but compelling. The show challenges perceptions about life in a wheelchair, giving the audience an honest, no nonsense look into their world. It’s real, it’s outspoken and it’s from the heart. I am delighted to share their story on a network that prides itself on authentic, bold and respectful storytelling.”

Taking a matter-of-fact attitude towards their disabilities, PUSH GIRLS offers a candid view of the women as they pursue their own claims to happiness as they enter different stages of their lives. Angela is a down-to-earth, stunningly gorgeous model who has recently become separated from her husband. Auti, a dancer, rapper, actress and all-around powerhouse, is crossing her fingers that, at age 42, she can try for a baby with her husband. Reflective and pragmatic Mia is taking stock of her relationship with her able-bodied boyfriend; a onetime competitive swimmer, she is about to attempt to swim for the first time since high school. Flirty, wisecracking Tiphany is doing some deep soul-searching about her sexuality, settling down and finding her calling in life.
            https://www.facebook.com/ProfessirX

Comment

I am afraid this show will piss me off and be unrealistic, but I am going to watch it just so I can see how the hell they wear those shoes. I sure as hell can't.
              If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Comment

I'm not looking forward to this show.
                DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

Comment

Judging from the picture I am already thinking that the show isn't terribly reality based and will be a total frustration. I love the high heels on the one, the ability to perch at sexualized angles, and even the range of motion shown. Not that some people can't do that of course, but it is a long way from MY reality.

Comment

I can do that, but not without my shoes coming off and my foot twisting itself around
                    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Comment

huffington post article: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1213453.html
                      "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
                      http://www.elportavoz.com/

Comment

Not trying to make this a SPY VS SPY thread, but in all due respect, I used to have conversations with a friend of mine who was quad and recently passed, she use to always feel down about major network television and how she don't watch TV because ,there's no face that relates to SCI.

See shows like Jersey Shore, House Wives blah blah blah reality shows are successful because millions watch it. Ratings get sponsors, hence gives birth to more sex, drinking and fighting shows. I respect your views, it's your life, but this is a chance for SCI to make an impact on Hollywood and remember it is Hollywood but despite that, let's do it for the cause, that being SCI awareness. Because if the 5.6 million American's support such a show, when others who feel they can produce a better outlook on SCI, sponsors may be there because they see SCI is rating driven product.

I know Auti Angel and she has strong views on true reality and representing the truth. Since Christopher, who broke many media doors for SCI, to me there has been no one who truly brought SCI in the media for SCI as a whole. I'm really tired of all the reality shows on today, a bunch of rich people causing drama because they have no obstacles except the once they make.
                        https://www.facebook.com/ProfessirX

Comment

Originally posted by addiesue View Post
                          I can do that, but not without my shoes coming off and my foot twisting itself around
                          I wondered how they could wear such high heels and not have their feet slide off the foot rest. And with the stilettos, they must have solid foot rests to not get the heels slipping into the channels?

Reality tv is always far from reality! REAL reality shows/movies are called documentaries.
                          Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Comment

Originally posted by ~Lin View Post
                            I wondered how they could wear such high heels and not have their feet slide off the foot rest. And with the stilettos, they must have solid foot rests to not get the heels slipping into the channels?

Reality tv is always far from reality! REAL reality shows/movies are called documentaries.
                            agreed on both points! I would think you would have to have ordered a 3-4 inch greater floor to seat height..then lower your foot plates to accomodate? then if you don't wear heels..your feet would hang or you would have to raise your foot plate each time you change shoes? If I wear heels, they go into inside the tube footplate..period. crossed or uncrossed, they just do not stay put on a foot plate! lol and to make matters worse, if I need to transfer, I must remove the shoes each time! ugh.

re: the show..I think it is a good thing...but yes, I am sure it will be uncomfortable..to us to watch the parts that we may deem "unflattering"..or not representative of how WE live our lives.

One of the girls stated in an article in reaction to her ex now dating other girls..
                            “I’m a quadriplegic, so I need more assistance than the other girls,” she says.
                            “I need someone to come in and catheterize me. I need someone to bathe me. I need someone to lotion me up . "

IF I were a single girl again, while I feel a show like this would help break some of the fear and stereotypes, this is not how I would want a potential partner to view me..PROIR to even getting to know me personally. We are NOT all the same..and would dates see me and think that would be part of the "deal". I mean Angela who made the statement above is now separated..so I am assuming someone else is doing these things for her now...why does she make a comment that this is a requirment for her potential partners? Or am I reading this wrong? Is the The perception not that the partner would need to do all these things for her? I guess we will all find out..botton line is they are all very beautiful sexy woman..and this show will be definately interesting to watch and learn! (how to wear high heels for one! lol)
                            Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainmen...#ixzz1jw8P7NAg
                            "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Comment

I think the show looks interesting. Maybe not reality but like ProfessirX points out-at least they are out there and looking good. I hope that I am able to watch online because our cable system does not get Sundance Channel.

Comment

This show addresses the real issues faced by those who are wheelchair bound. Here’s a still shot taken from the first episode: “Overcoming obstacles at the work place”.
                                Tex
                                C4,5,6 incomplete with 100% full feeling
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X