Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What People Will Think

Hey Everyone!

As you may have seen, I have started walking again and will be starting to walk at work right away. I'm super nervous. Not about saftey or anything, but what people (co-workers) will think. The only people from work who have seen me walk with my walker are my boss and my supervisor and they are really excited about it and have been supportive and encouraging of the whole thing. I guess I just don't want to look dependent for lack of better way to explain it. For the most part, I am independent in the chair. Walker I am, but not fully yet. I also am kind of self-concious about the way I walk because it doesn't look "normal".

I don't know what I'm even asking... I'm just nervous.

I can not give you any advice that would be of any use to you at all, because I feel pretty much the same self conscious feelings that you do when using a walker. I only use mine when grocey shopping because it fits in the electric carts.

Comment

I can only tell you that this AB would say "Congrats!". About the closest I came to your feeling of self-consciousness was when I was bald from chemo and decided to drop the scarf. Last thing I wanted was people looking at me funny or with pity. Well, some people did. Some people are like that. Best suggestion I can make is to hold your head up high and fake feeling confident until you really feel it. I bet all will be fine.

And congrats!
      Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
      - Albert Einstein

Comment

I never lost my ability to walk. I walk much much better now. But when i was walking really really bad, I can tell you people will just stare all the time. They will constantly ask you if you need help, are you going to fall. They will ask you if they can get you a chair, if they can do something for you, if you are alright, are you in pain, etc, etc, it does make you feel self conscious but they get used to it, just like anything else When I would be 'practicing' walking outside, which I of course considered exercise cause I was told 'if you want to walk' you gotta 'walk', strangers would offer to pick me up in their cars off the street and take me home.

Comment

That's cause you are hot Mary
          Last edited by Jim; 9 Jan 2012, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by marycsm77 View Post
            I never lost my ability to walk. I walk much much better now. But when i was walking really really bad, I can tell you people will just stare all the time. They will constantly ask you if you need help, are you going to fall. They will ask you if they can get you a chair, if they can do something for you, if you are alright, are you in pain, etc, etc, it does make you feel self conscious but they get used to it, just like anything else When I would be 'practicing' walking outside, which I of course considered exercise cause I was told 'if you want to walk' you gotta 'walk', strangers would offer to pick me up in their cars off the street and take me home.
            this is true. I get all of the above.

I get a dumbfounded open mouth stare every time I go out since moving to the south too.

people who know you though will try to politely look away or smile back.
            I find a smile and a hello nod is the best way to deal with your stage fright.
            move along nothing to see here ...

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
              That's cause you are hot Mary
              HA, lol. thanks james, but I'm afraid when I was walking like Herman Munster, I wasn't looking so 'hot', trust me

Comment

Originally posted by jody View Post
                this is true. I get all of the above.

I get a dumbfounded open mouth stare every time I go out since moving to the south too.

people who know you though will try to politely look away or smile back.
                I find a smile and a hello nod is the best way to deal with your stage fright.
                move along nothing to see here ...
                true Jody, smiling always puts people at ease somehow, sucks to always have (or in my case had) to put others at ease, but it does work, it goes a long way

Comment

Just one thing to add that used to piss me off, some people used to say to me, when i would tell them what happened to me "well you should be grateful, glad you can walk", and your not in a chair, which of course I was/am.

Funny thing is no one in a wheelchair has ever said that to me, that I could recognize and completely understand. But someone who has never had an injury to their spinal cord saying that to me, I found for some reason to be very aggravating. One time I finally said "YOU should be grateful YOU can walk too". I just felt why should I be any more grateful to walk then you, you take it for granted, I dont.

Comment

Originally posted by marycsm77 View Post
                    My story exactly Mary, does that make me hot Jim?
                    JimmyMack
                    Member: New Jersey Commission on Spinal Cord Reasearch
                    http://www.state.nj.us/health/spinalcord/index.shtml

Comment

Maybe to a chick James

Wheeliegirl, it will be a little awkward at first but an eye-opening experience for everyone, they will be rooting for you.

Comment

Originally posted by wheeliegirl2010 View Post
                        Hey Everyone!

As you may have seen, I have started walking again and will be starting to walk at work right away. I'm super nervous. Not about saftey or anything, but what people (co-workers) will think. The only people from work who have seen me walk with my walker are my boss and my supervisor and they are really excited about it and have been supportive and encouraging of the whole thing. I guess I just don't want to look dependent for lack of better way to explain it. For the most part, I am independent in the chair. Walker I am, but not fully yet. I also am kind of self-concious about the way I walk because it doesn't look "normal".

I don't know what I'm even asking... I'm just nervous.
                        your co-workers will be glad for you, and any adjustments to assist you with doing your duties from the walkers, i'm sure they will be glad to help
                        We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
                        Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by brucec View Post
                          your co-workers will be glad for you, and any adjustments to assist you with doing your duties from the walkers, i'm sure they will be glad to help

Yeah, I hope so. My boss made his boss (the owner) aware of the situation and he was also really encouraging. He came in and asked who therapy was going, about walking/walker ect. I guess the fact that I haven't been walking in 2 years creates some emotion. It's like I told my boss at therapy, when I walk in therapy, there's not people "gawking" because everybody is kind of in the same boat, but at work that won't be the case. He reminded me that yes, peoplle might bug me but, it won't be a "haha you suck" thing but rather an encouraging bug... I am also kind of worried because I don't want co-workers to be mad or upset at me that they can't help me walk when my boss and supervisor can (they had to go through training with my PT).

Comment

I think it's great you have support at work. Don't worry, your co workers might give you an ovation, but you can handle that right?

what shall we call you when you are on your feet again? you won't be a wheelie girl anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Kendell View Post
                              Best suggestion I can make is to hold your head up high and fake feeling confident until you really feel it. I bet all will be fine.

And congrats!

Ditto. Good advice.
                              Adaptive Sports Forums.com
                              http://adaptivesportsforums.com
                              Non-commercial adaptive sports user community

Comment

Working...
                              X