What motivates you to keep fighting...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by leschinsky View Post
    Mike youre still a newbie you are allowed to complain no matter your level of injury. we all go through a mourning period, my first 3 years were hell. But do not do it in bed, 22 hours in bed is depressing.

I'm sorry about your wife, you've been through a lot. But you obviously are a strong person who can handle challenges.

Post about the riding club in the Recreation forum.

I dont know the co. my grandfather worked for and unfortunately there's no one left to ask. But I have his last name and his first name was Karl.
    oops grandfather, I somehow misreadthat as father. I have only been in the industry since 92, so I probably did not know him.

Comment

Originally posted by Katja View Post
      Grants.

Check out the Challenged Athletes Foundation and others.
      Oh...I guess that if I want to do it that I will have to find another source of funding, because I would never be able to even begin asking for anyone to give me anything that I had not either earned or had the ability to repay in some way. I might be able to ask for donations to support a coordinated group effort that would benefit the group as awhole, like my paraplegic ridng club idea, but I could never ask anyone to give me anything personally that was just to help me.

Comment

Originally posted by leschinsky View Post
        Mike youre still a newbie you are allowed to complain no matter your level of injury. we all go through a mourning period, my first 3 years were hell. But do not do it in bed, 22 hours in bed is depressing.

I'm sorry about your wife, you've been through a lot. But you obviously are a strong person who can handle challenges.

Post about the riding club in the Recreation forum.

I dont know the co. my grandfather worked for and unfortunately there's no one left to ask. But I have his last name and his first name was Karl.
        I haven't done the 22hr a day thing since I gave up the half gallon a day of Jagermeister that went along with it.

Comment

Originally posted by nauticalmike View Post
          Oh...I guess that if I want to do it that I will have to find another source of funding, because I would never be able to even begin asking for anyone to give me anything that I had not either earned or had the ability to repay in some way. I might be able to ask for donations to support a coordinated group effort that would benefit the group as awhole, like my paraplegic ridng club idea, but I could never ask anyone to give me anything personally that was just to help me.
          Not sure that Challenged Athletes will help with motorcycle stuff or not. But you should keep them in mind for other sporting equipment.

Adaptive sports equipment can be expensive. You can get a pretty decent standard bicycle for a few hundred dollars. A decent handcycle can cost thousands. Skis and boots for someone without a disability can cost hundreds of dollars. Adaptive ski equipment easly costs thousands of dollars.

There are easy ways to pay this back if you get a grant. What you can do is you participate in fund raising for an adaptive sports program or for CAF itself so others can have the same opportunity. Or you volunteer and help others get back on with their life in sports or any other way possible.... pay it forward. It is as simple as that.

Even if you can't pay it back, in my opinion, there is no reason not to accept this type of grant or equipment. I am just pointed out ways that it can be paid back if you feel the need to do so.
          Adaptive Sports Forums.com
          http://adaptivesportsforums.com
          Non-commercial adaptive sports user community

Comment

Adaptive motorcycles have been around since 1977; or at least that's the first time I saw one. A budd of mine Bernie Blezeko fromPrince Eward Island built it and the DMV in Vancouver actually approved.

There has to be a disabled riding club somewhere already.

Comment

Hello Mike,
              I read some of this thread and would like to make a few comments. This is my belief system only and may have no bearing on any one else. But for what it is worth, this is how I see it.
              I am a father of one son. I believe this is a great responsibility, no doubt the greatest responsibility I will ever undertake. Once I became a father, my life is not about me but about raising him as well as I can and being a role model. My son watched my adaption to SCI over the past 10 years very carefully. He was 11 year old at the time. He witnessed how I battled through pain, loss, tears, multiple physical setbacks, multiple surgeries, so many I can't count them. How you deal with adversities will make an indelible and potentially positive impression on your child and it will be your greatest gift to them. I'm sorry for my losses too and my personal fulfillment but once you have a kid, that is your prime responsibility so lift your chin up and demonstrate to your daughter how to deal with the inevitable adversities and loss that life delivers to most people. I think if you keep this in your mind, it makes dealing with all the bullshit of SCI easier and gives it a high purpose.
              Good luck, brother.
              arndog

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
                Adaptive motorcycles have been around since 1977; or at least that's the first time I saw one. A budd of mine Bernie Blezeko fromPrince Eward Island built it and the DMV in Vancouver actually approved.

There has to be a disabled riding club somewhere already.
                I think that there is one in Tennessee, but that is a long way away from where I am. I think that they are more Cruiser oriented too.

Comment

Don't let anybody tell you anything about yourself. You know your body better than anyone and sure you might have to come to terms with not being able to do as much or as well as you used to, but you are still very much able.
                  I did look at this post once before, and come to find out that I was injured after you. I do not know your story/how you currently deal with your situation. I know that waking up every morning with a smile on your face is one of the best things you can do for yourself. Just try it for a week and then tell me different!
                  Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. -- John Lennon

Comment

Hopefully this won't piss you off too much but have you actually tried to do any of the job related stuff since you've been injured or did you automatically assume that they couldn't be done?

I know of at least two and maybe 3 para automotive mechanics, one para small engine mechanic, one of the above para mechanics used to do heavy truck mechanics. I've even heard rumours of a aircraft maitenance engineer in a chair (AME is Canadian version of american A&P mechanic) It's going to be slow and frustrating as hell when you start but with your smarts I would think you would be able to figure out ways of doing a fair number of those tasks you used to do. Surely there must be bench work/compodent overhaul work you can do at the very least?

Comment

http://bcpara.org/wp-content/uploads...pring-2011.pdf Here is the link to one of the mechanics I was mentioning, It's page 12 in the table of contents.

Comment

read steve garros posts, he's similar to you as far as injury goes, he's wheelchair bound, builds bikes for a living and gets more out of life than most able bodies, read in his posts in the exercise forum under "what workout did you do today"
                        "Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"

Comment

Working...
                        X