X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drum Circle

Have you? Tell me about it.

Was invited.

I live in Eugene Oregon where old hippies grew up. They have these things at the Saturday market all the time. They have these things at protests all the time. They have these things for no reason at all all of the time. I have a neighbor who drums all of the time.

I want to kill him. All of the time.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

Comment

First Nations? Yes. Otherwise? No. lol

I missed the local pow-wow near home in September. I really wanted to go but wasn't up to it.
      Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

I am identified as Native American on all official documents. I find these hippie circles to be offensive. I really do.
        Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

Comment

< - - - interested in new form of expression, of letting go, using my body (fist and paw in this case)

< - - - will only be heard by those participating as this will not be in a public area or near anyone's home

< - - - unafraid and curious about what's and how's of it

< - - - will give it a go in January

Comment

I would go and give it a try if invited and not a public thing.

Comment

They can be long.
              Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Comment

Linda, I will. Thanks.

Ms. Liz, thanks for the heads up. Will arrange my own transportation so I can leave whenever I've had enough.

Comment

At last year's SCI forum put on by the BC Paraplegic Association, there were several breakout workshops. The drum circle was the one that most people were talking about afterward. It was a huge success. Do it!

Comment

Originally posted by Van Quad View Post
                    At last year's SCI forum put on by the BC Paraplegic Association, there were several breakout workshops. The drum circle was the one that most people were talking about afterward. It was a huge success. Do it!
                    Hooray! Thanks, Van. I'm looking forward to the circle and I'm going.

The circle isn't happening due to a dis org. I'm the only quad, and only dis person, invited to this. As Jack Nicholson once said, "Wait 'til they get a load of me." ;p The hosts know me, obviously, but the others, not at all.

My expectations are positive. I anticipate enjoying this, especially using my body to create noisy rhythms with others. What is it about using my body, any of it, to express myself? There is so much I've adapted to doing differently, so much I need help doing. This is one of those things I'll be able to do as is.

It seems when I expect to enjoy something, when I look forward with excitement, it's generally a positive experience. That's how I view this.

Will report post circle.

Comment

I am an enrolled native american and personally have ZERO issues with anyone wanting to enjoy the experience, the magic and the power is in the words/language of our songs not in the act, but there are taboo's with the materials drums are made of and treatment of the drum itself IF they are using a native american style drum....

Comment

Do you mean this?

or this

The latter looks more fun because probably some herb will be shared and whatever else
                        A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child

Comment

No herb or other enhancements at the one to which I've been invited as a couple of us are in recovery. That had been decided before I was invited so fortunately I will not harsh anyone's mellow.

P.S. Part of my original post disappeared so rewriting. Like the second, less formal than the first, and without drugs.
                          Last edited by LaMemChose; 17 Dec 2011, 11:42 PM. Reason: lost pt. of post

Comment

My uncle was the Bishop of Montana. For his 60th anniversary being a priest he had a high mass in Great Falls. Part of the Mass (ceremony for you Non Catholics) was having dancers and drummers from the Cros Ventre and Cree Nations. The whole auditorium shook with the vibrations and thunderous drumming welcoming the Bishops and Cardinals walking in procession to the altar. It was very moving. I'm sure some of the bishops and cardinals were astonished walking to the beat of the drums and the chants of the dancers. But the nations were part of his life.

I drum on occasion and play my Native American flutes that I make to the 4 winds every morning. Saging is as spiritual as communion was in my younger years.
                            Last edited by Patrick Madsen; 18 Dec 2011, 2:43 AM.

Comment

My oldest son made me a 4-hole flute, it is such a relaxing sound (except when i am blowing on it) i hope to learn to play better in the near future, I did have someone tell me they thought i had a CD playing so i must not be completely foul sounding... Flutes are not native to our tribe but i still try.....

Comment

Working...
                              X