No announcement yet.

ChipIn for Donations For Betheny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bente, if you mean funeral expenses, the cost varies widely depending on choices made. There are a lot of possible options. What people choose to do usually depends on a number of factors including their financial situation, wishes expresed by the loved one before death, family traditions, their religious or spiritual beliefs, and so on. Some people prearrange and prepay their funeral costs and may also have a cemetery plot and headstone paid for as well.

I had very little money to bury Debbie. Friends and family helped with the costs thankfully. Even keeping it fairly simple (but nice) I think the final cost was easily around 3000 dollars. The cost mostly was for cremation, urn, burial and headstone in this case (cemetery plot already belonged to the family). Had I scattered her ashes it would have been much less, but she wanted to be buried next to her son and her family was willing to pay for that. That was a personal choice based on what I knew Debbie wanted, but I needed help to do it. Therein lies the answer - personal choice vs. financial situation. I"m very glad Ami is doing this and I hope Betheny can make whatever choices she wishes.
    Last edited by Kendell; 3 Dec 2011, 8:10 AM.
    Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
    - Albert Einstein

Comment

Agreeing with Kendell - the expense can vary greatly, but it's not cheap. When my mom passed, I think the total cost came to almost $10,000 (New York prices - maybe cheaper elsewhere) and could have been a good deal more than that. We were fortunate enough to have insurance which covered the expense, but it could have been difficult, otherwise.

Comment

It was about $5000 for each of my parents' funerals, and fortunately (as in JimD's family), they had insurance to cover the costs. This was in the midwest in the late 80s and early 90s, and their funerals were not extravagant by any means. So it can be quite expensive, indeed.
        MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Comment

Then it is like here about. My mother's was very simple, it was 6000 dollars and my father's was 8000. Both cremated but on the memoriel place without stone. It was their wish. And no insurance is paying that. We have a place with stone but they didn't want to use it.

I only wondered because I was afraid she didn't have enough to do it the way she wanted. Thank you for answering such a improper question.
          TH 12, 43 years post

Comment

Hello,
            Could you please email me the paypal info. Thank you.
            Enrique

Comment

http://supportchristy.chipin.com/collection-for-betheny
              Don - Grad Student Emeritus
              T3 ASIA A 27 years post injury

Comment

Wow!

The chip in website lists the total collected so far at $2747.00. What a grand gesture of love for one of our members.

I'm so proud of the people on this site. You are all so generous and kind.
                Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

Comment

Yep and of the 46 who have contributed the average contribution is $59.71, that really says a lot about how well liked Betheny is around here and how much everyone wants to help her out in whats gotta be the most trying time of her life with all that has happened these past few years, I still can't believe Jake is gone. I know how horrible it is to loose loved ones, I think about my father everyday, he passed away unexpectly it'll be 3 years christmas eve this year. I know money does not make everything alright, but it does help ease some of the worries for Betheny I'm sure. It sure was smart and thoughtful thinking of Ami to set this up, thanks again Ami.
                  Last edited by Curt Leatherbee; 4 Dec 2011, 12:29 AM.
                  "Life is about how you
                  respond to not only the
                  challenges you're dealt but
                  the challenges you seek...If
                  you have no goals, no
                  mountains to climb, your
                  soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

Great job Ami. So proud of CC peers.

Comment

We are up to $3,070 with 51 contributors as of this writing. I am going to wait until Monday morning, then write a second check to add to the first check (see earlier post) and overnight both of them to her so she will have them both on Tuesday. Then I'll mail all the other donations when the chipin ends on Dec 8th.

Thank you again. This community is really rallying around one of its own.
                      Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Comment

Our ccc family is tight and I love you all
                        You all mean so much to me

Comment

This thread is a stand-out of what makes this site great.

Chris.
                          Have you ever seen a human heart? It looks like a fist wrapped in blood! Larry in 'Closer', a play by Partick Marber

Comment

I'm so amazed by this community.

Comment

I remember it happened when Raven died too. I have told it on my Norwegian forum, they can't understand why or what or nothing.
                              TH 12, 43 years post

Comment

What do you mean, Bente - You mean people wouldn't do the same thing in Norway?
                                Originally posted by woman from Europe View Post
                                I remember it happened when Raven died too. I have told it on my Norwegian forum, they can't understand why or what or nothing.
                                Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
                                Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X