Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter coat suggestions?

Hi,
    Wondering if anyone has suggestions on winter coats that don't drag in the wheels or take away from smooth movement with the arms. I just can't seem to find anything short enough thats not too fluffy and bulky. Suggestions would be great.

Thanks
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

My fave is my NorthFace Apex jacket. Very warm, very thin, lots o'pockets. I fold the front edge under so it fits perfect when seated. Love it. Best wheeling coat for my $. I really dislike bulky coats.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Comment

This is my favorite winter coat.

Cabela's Down Jacket

Comment

a good north face or columbia coat, they are expensive but are lightweight and warm. the columbia omni-heat works really good. the better ones will also be waterproof.

Comment

I had a coat altered to make it go on/off easy and then had them cut it up the back (almost to the collar) and cut off all the excess fabric in the back that can bunch up. Cost me $20. You can do this to any coat EXCEPT down.

Comment

Here is a source for stylish wheelchair adapted coats (don't know if they fit the criteria of being warm enough):
            http://www.izadaptive.com/Store/tabi...SC,ProductName
            This company sells mens and womens clothing.

All the best,
            GJ
            Last edited by gjnl; 11-30-2011, 04:51 PM.

Comment

I don't wear coats, too bulky, when it down in the 40s here
              i usually put on a long sleeve shirt, tee shirt and then a flannel shirt, etc
              We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
              Ronald Reagan

Comment

For warmth: I have a Stoic Hadron. It's basically a down hoody. It's crazy lightweight but very warm (850 fill down, which isn't nearly as poofy as others w/ lower fill powers). I'm up around 9000 ft in the Rockies right now; we're hitting single-digits at night already & I'm good layered with a shell on top (Marmot PreCip) & a base layer (varies) underneath. Total < $300.

Comment

@ -scott-, are you moving there for good and have you done any skiing?

Comment

Not for good right now, the lack of income and housing being two major hurdles. We're heading back east for the holidays & most of 2012. We'll be back though.

I'm heading out for some skiing tomorrow.

Comment

Thanks for that URL GL, I remember looking through their stuff about a year ago and couldn't find it recently. This time I'm bookmarking it!

Comment

Originally posted by -scott- View Post
                        Not for good right now, the lack of income and housing being two major hurdles. We're heading back east for the holidays & most of 2012. We'll be back though.

I'm heading out for some skiing tomorrow.
                        great, be sure to put up some pics.
                        housing anywhere near a resort in colorado is sky high. I've decided when I make the move, housing around park city or sun valley is much more reasonable.

Comment

Originally posted by Domosoyo View Post
                          Thanks for that URL GL, I remember looking through their stuff about a year ago and couldn't find it recently. This time I'm bookmarking it!
                          wow, they are proud of that stuff, makes north face, columbia and stuff look reasonably priced. I would think about some snow ski gear, it's perfect for us wheelers, lightweight, waterproof, and made for extreme cold. ski gear has to be manueverable, so it doesn't interfer with pushing a chair.
                          Last edited by jschism; 11-30-2011, 07:38 PM. Reason: add

Comment

Originally posted by gjnl View Post
                            Here is a source for stylish wheelchair adapted coats
                            Those are really CUTE!

Comment

Originally posted by Domosoyo View Post
                              Glad I was able to resurrect this website for you. I am GJ. GL is a moderator. No worries, we are often confused.

All the best,
                              GJ

Comment

Working...
                              X