Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this happened to my brother in law too.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/david-lavau...ry?id=15024377

it actually looks like the same spot too, but he was headed up to julian. that was 1980. his name was Curt Garvin. He is no longer in the world, but his life as a high para was highly accomplished. That road had a gurd rail, but the one my brother in law was on, didnt. a person driving saw tire tracks going over the cliff, and it was just a glance, as he drove by, but registered that those were tire marks going over. he hollared over the cliffs, Anyone down there!!

he wasnt sure but he thought he heard a voice coming out of the grass. with curts injuries, it was amazing he lived at all, but the man who saw the tire tracks was sure it was a devine intervention that caused him to turn around and call over the cliffs. there were two other cars at the bottom of the drop, one did contain a dead person who had been there several months. thanfully curt did not know that at the time. He was ever speaking to god though in his eleven hour wait to be discovered, and had made his peace and ready to go out of the world but as it was knew he would be found. he later would write a book or two, have children, be a marathon wheeler, be a wheelchair tennis world champ, and design computer programs that would develope the F14 fighter jet, and stealth bomber. curt died of a reaction to methedone and another drug for pain that I dont know. He had developed RSD. He was a inspiration to me when I was injured in 1999. And to his brother who would be injured with sci in 1988. curt had had a premonition of being paralized and in a wheelchair, so when it happened, He knew he was going to be found eventually, but that his spine was severed, and that his premoniton gave him what he needed to not give up.

Wow, Jody, that is really chilling and inspirational at the same time.
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Comment

to see it happen again in the same area is chilling to me. the thing is, no one could find any tire tracks when they investigated the accident. it looked just like the spot in that news clip, but without a stream at the bottom. so when I saw the clip, I thought of curt.

Comment

I would have been down something like this but the car chose to roll backwards and back into the road instead. But I remember laying in the road.

Its fresh in my mind because I have been with old friends who have not seen me since my accident but heard about it. Even after 23 years, it still bothers me, although I can drive the road where it happened. If it is out of sight...it is out of mind.

My motivation was my 6 month old daughter. I think when you get to the point of death you get those "premonitions". I did too. I had lost 6 pints of blood but didn't know it at the time. I stayed awake to hang on.

Usually when there is an accident here...the DOT puts a guardrail up. I know one particular curve on another road that accidents happened on and they put guardrails up the whole road.
        T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Comment

there are so many canyons and crags in southern cali, and roads with a mountain on one side and cliff on the other. who knows how many undiscovered tragedy lay at the bottom of them.

Comment

Originally posted by jody View Post
            there are so many canyons and crags in southern cali, and roads with a mountain on one side and cliff on the other. who knows how many undiscovered tragedy lay at the bottom of them.
            This is what I think about whenever we drive over a mountain pass here in Colorado, too. Very sad and scary.

Comment

I rode in a semi, to aurora, then on to the midwest. scary traveling, and way more of a drop. I was most intrigued with the runaway truck lanes. there were so many. colorado has some amazing mountain roads.

Comment

Yeah, those runaway truck ramps never fail to send a shiver down my spine! Just the thought of barreling along in the mountains and then discovering the brakes are gone - OMG.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonnette View Post
                  This is what I think about whenever we drive over a mountain pass here in Colorado, too. Very sad and scary.
                  And there are not many guardrails. I remember thinking "how many cars are at the bottom" when we drove the Million Dollar Highway.

I lost my trailer brakes coming down wolf creek pass. It is one of the 14er's. I did not have them set right. There were no guard rails but even if there were, it would not have stopped us. I used my emergency brake and transmission to stop.

Montana is that way too.

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by darkeyed_daisy View Post
                    I lost my trailer brakes coming down wolf creek pass. It is one of the 14er's. I did not have them set right. There were no guard rails but even if there were, it would not have stopped us. I used my emergency brake and transmission to stop.

Montana is that way too.
                    Geez, were you ever lucky - amazing that you were able to stop! You're right, a guardrail would not have helped if you were descending Wolf Creek Pass.

About the Million Dollar Highway - right, there are hardly any guardrails at all up there. They wouldn't be very useful for prevention, but I wish the DOT would install them anyway - at least damage to the guardrails would indicate that someone might have gone over the edge!

I've never been to Montana and didn't realize the same conditions prevail - but it makes sense that they would.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonnette View Post
                      Geez, were you ever lucky - amazing that you were able to stop! You're right, a guardrail would not have helped if you were descending Wolf Creek Pass.

About the Million Dollar Highway - right, there are hardly any guardrails at all up there. They wouldn't be very useful for prevention, but I wish the DOT would install them anyway - at least damage to the guardrails would indicate that someone might have gone over the edge!

I've never been to Montana and didn't realize the same conditions prevail - but it makes sense that they would.
                      I was good with the Million Dollar Highway until we passed the memorial to the Snowplow drivers. They never recovered any of their bodies.

I guess someone would have to report you missing.

It just makes me shiver now because I was on so many roads so many times alone and no one would have ever known where I was. I like to ride and watch the wildlife and take pictures.

Thank God for ditches on Wolf Creek Pass. I hit it and we road the ditch until I could pull off and figured out my trailer brakes were set wrong. There is only one pull off there too. It was snowing in July too.

Comment

Originally posted by darkeyed_daisy View Post
                        Thank God for ditches on Wolf Creek Pass. I hit it and we road the ditch until I could pull off and figured out my trailer brakes were set wrong. There is only one pull off there too. It was snowing in July too.
                        Wow. This gives me chills. There are so many patches up there where there aren't any ditches - you had just the right confluence of circumstances to keep you going. *shudder*

Comment

Working...
                        X