No announcement yet.

Do you call yourself disabled?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"I use a chair" works for me. Most peeps realize I'm talking about a wheelchair.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Comment

when my body(cerebral palsy,hoh,oral,low vision) stops me something yes i am disabled and want a ''normal'' pill

when im just living my life I'M NOT DISABLED

Comment

I prefer 'injured'. I've done too many independent things to consider myself disabled, I may do them slower, but there's not much I can't do.

Comment

I can't walk, so I consider myself crippled.
          Don - Grad Student Emeritus
          T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Comment

Originally posted by Donno View Post
            Lol, you took the words out of my mouth.

Comment

My grandfather (of the WWII generation) used to call me a "crippled boy" when describing my situation to other folks. I sometimes use this label myself when I'm irritated about talking about being disabled. Just saying it always makes me laugh inside and I like watching certain folks cringe when I occasionally say it as well.

I mostly describe myself as disabled.

Comment

fynalefree, I like your attitude about avoiding labels. I only use them when medically or logistically required. I like physically challenged, personally but its acronym, PC is easily confused with PC LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Patton57 View Post
                  My grandfather (of the WWII generation) used to call me a "crippled boy" when describing my situation to other folks. I sometimes use this label myself when I'm irritated about talking about being disabled. Just saying it always makes me laugh inside and I like watching certain folks cringe when I occasionally say it as well.

I mostly describe myself as disabled.
                  That brings back memories of the old guys calling me crippled; thinking they were being kind using that word. I never took offense because they meant no offense.

I do miss that generation. They worked hard and said it like it was.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
                    That brings back memories of the old guys calling me crippled; thinking they were being kind using that word. I never took offense because they meant no offense.

I do miss that generation. They worked hard and said it like it was.
                    I agree 100%, Americans seem to have a euphemism for everything...
                    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
                    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Comment

I just say "I have a spinal cord injury."

Comment

I dont mind too much
                        Ususally PPl just see me in my wheelchair and just know
                        On the phone is another story as if a college coleigue did not meet me I am straight up and let them know I am in a wheelchair that generally let's them know I am disabled without the " Disabled " word poping up .
                        I know my limits , learned that The Word " Disabled " really does not bother me .

Everyone has their own names , explanations on the D word
                        Personally I dont care .
                        GL

Comment

Originally posted by -scott- View Post
                          That's merely about erasing a stigma. For example, if you erase the stigma of having HIV, it doesn't cure people of HIV.

Whether or not society ever sees me whole won't make my body work any better. The sexiest man in the world could want me in his bed, I still won't enjoy the sexual experience as much as I would have able-bodied. It's as if eating without tastebuds.

Comment

Originally posted by Donno View Post
                            I was in a SCI clinic at a V.A. hospital and referred to myself as crippled. A lady there with her husband was quick to say we werent crippled we were handicapped. I only stared at her and wondered what kind of load she fell off of.
                            Crippled.............yes

Comment

But do the people know what a Spinal Cord Injury is? I have to have a lesson if I use the Norwegian word here, I call myself a wheelchair user.
                              TH 12, 43 years post

Comment

I say I have a spinal cord injury. people always ask me what happened to my feet? - or whats wrong with your legs? nothing, I broke my back.

Comment

Working...
                                X