No announcement yet.

where were you that september day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was at home working writing programs on my computer for a company. I got a flash on my screen alerting of important Breaking News. I went on line and was looking as another plane hit the tower. I shut down my computer and went to my TV and watched CNN news. I called my wife who was working at Lockheed assembling the tail sections on "Smart Bombs". Of course, they went into high security alert and started working overtime. I cannot imagine what the families were going through. I spent the next three days in front of the TV. The only other time I had this happen was when Kennedy was assassinated when I was 15 years old. I never want to see an tragedy on this scale again, ever!
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

Comment

I was working at a busy call center. The phones quit ringing very suddenly and we all kept looking around thinking something was wrong with the the phone system at the bank.
      Then I got a call from a woman with a simple question. She said she just turned on CNN while she was waiting and there were planes crashing into buildings in New York.
      There was all sorts of misinformation floating in and circulating for about an hour.
      People did not have the type of phones now where you can check the internet.

About an hour later we went to a training class. Walking by one of the rooms we saw a group of managers gathered around a TV in a conference room. One of them shut the door so we could not see. That still pisses me off.

Comment

I was eating breakfast at a resteraunt between classes and watched the whole thing happen on the TV from the very first plane hittting to the collapse of both buildings. went back to class and no one would believe me when i told them what i just saw on TV.

Comment

I was watching it in the Mountain Standard Time zone when my PCA arrived. There I was doing bowel care, in my shower chair, when the planes hit the Pentagon and the field in Shanksville. What a memory to have attached to 9/11. (sigh)

Comment

I was getting ready for work and, as usual, had NPR turned on the radio when they announced that a plane had hit one of the Twin Towers. At first I thought that this must be a small plane similar to the crash into the Empire State Building in the 1950s, but then when they announced it was a large passenger jet I went downstairs and turned on the TV. I watched the first coverage, and then listened again to NPR in the radio driving to work. When I got there I found many of the staff gathered in the patients' day room watching the large screen TV. All the patient's also had their bedside TVs tuned to the coverage. I arrived in time to see the second plane hit and then both towers collapse. Such an awful tragedy, and such an unreal feeling. I knew that life would never be the same in the USA after that.

Starting that day, we had ID checks by armed VA police officers for everyone entering the hospital . I had to go through much more rigorous security checks to get on base at our local military hospital to see and screen new SCI active duty members to move to our unit too.

Our director of nurses was in Washington DC and could not get back because of the flight bans. Another friend was talking to a friend of hers at the Pentagon when the plane struck there. They immediately lost contact and she feared the worst, but fortunately the friend was on the other end of the Pentagon and was able to be evacuated successfully.

A friend of mine at work was raised in Brooklyn and lost 5 friends that she grew up with that day.

I tried for the next week to reach a friend who used to work very close to the Towers in a rehab clinic for performing artists. I was so relieved to finally reach her and find that she was OK and had not been at work that day. I then heard that Dr. Ragnarsson from the Mt. Sinai Medical Center SCI program lost his son-in-law in the Towers. Kris was an well known physician and we all felt so sorry for him.

My family decided to go forward with our planned trip to South America in November, 2001. Many people told us not to go and risk flying, but we felt that would be letting the terrorists win. I remember that our accessible van was checked with mirrors underneath (for bombs) before they would allow it onto the pier in Valpariso, Chile where we were boarding our cruise ship, so by then, enhanced security had spread world-wide.

(KLD)
            Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 11 Sep 2011, 12:23 PM.
            The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by GL View Post
              Having Breakfast reading the comics watching the news with my mom
              A Jet flew into the tower We seen smoke I had a panic attack couldnt breathe my nerves then Jet # 2 I am like holy Shi-t
              We kept holding on to hope but then found out my Friends their families called me up asking me if they called me or were with me
              I said no I am like Craig and Tom didnt call
              My Aunt worked not too far from the epicenter so I called my aunt asking her how is Cousin Johnny he works 57th floor she didnt know if he was alive or dead .
              The news channel said a Jet crashed into the Pentagon WT hell !!!
              Lost my cousin and friends in that chaotic mess those towers .

Personally I dont want to watch television or think of it anymore it is very hard for me to think of .

What a horrible Day Then 2 day's later my Best friend Gets married they rented a hall 2 blocks away and I had to try not to look @ that mess in the City which was impossible
              The Limo took us around the long way and still the City was a huge Dust cloud errie mess ...
              It was the worst days

GL
              You lived in NY?
              Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Comment

In bed, home from work sick! My ex, David, came rushing into my bedroom to wake me and tell me a plane had crashed into the world trade centre. A few minutes later, he rushed in to tell me it wasn't a fluke as another had crashed. He turned on my tv (hangs on the wall) and we watched from bed together in horror for the rest of the day.

I returned to work the next day and everyone in town called when a Muslim family even just walked down the street. People called at the slightest little thing.

The struggle to realize terrorists, radicals versus Muslims altogether is what I remember most afterwards and I struggled with that myself. That, and the chilling stories of families literally being torn apart ... the phone calls from cell phones saying good-bye ... the police, firefighters, dispatchers and the utter chaos of it all.
                Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

I was at work teaching in a middle school on Long Island. The community I work in (Garden City, NY) is fairly affluent, and many residents work in the financial industry. The awful part of 9/11 for my colleagues and I (aside from the obvious horror) was listening to what was happening on our breaks, and then having to go back to our classrooms and try to teach a regular lesson as if it was simply business as usual, all the time knowing that many of our students had family and friends working down there. To add to the confusion, they were doing construction on the school building, and we had no TV or internet service; we were all sitting around on our cell phones talking to family and friends and getting updates to share with each other, while at the same time trying not to upset or panic any of the kids. It's odd to think now that all through that day none of us had any access to the any of the pictures or images that were transfixing the rest of the world.

That being the case, after work I drove down to the beach to where one can see the skyline, and I stared at the smoke. That was my first visual from that day - the actual debris-cloud, before I went home and watched the events on the news. Like many other people, I spent the rest of the evening on the phone, trying to track down family and friends who work downtown. Fortunately, I didn't lose anyone close, but it was a near thing. One of my friends was across the street from the site, and saw the first plane hit. A couple of other friends worked nearby and had to be evacuated through the debris. The parents of several of my students didn't make it out at all.

Comment

I was at work at a car dealership the only tv was in the service area and we huddled around the tv in schock. Even today as I watch the recap I am still in disbelief at the tragedy. For the families of the loved ones speaking today has to be so difficult yet so healing that they can be at the place they lost there loved ones.

So much still unanswered..Solldiers still dying fighting for our country when will it all end?
                    JeAnNE L1Burst Fracture inc. 11/5/10

Live Well--Laugh often

Comment

downtown Manhattan, indescribable, sad
                      Kindly,

The Ketamine Kitty

All the tears, all the pain, all the rage through the night (apolgies to the rewrite) RR

Next time I die make sure I'm gone,
                      don't leave 'em nothing to work on JT

And I ain't nothin but a dream JM

Comment

laying in bed at Craig hospital

Comment

Drinking coffee and screaming "Where is the fucking President??"

Called my Dad sobbing, asking "Who would do this to us?" He said "I'm not sure but if I had to guess it was those assholes in Afghanistan."

I saw the bodies jump too, Bente. I'm so glad they didn't keep replaying it, it's seared into my retinas.

Had visited NYC 3 mo's earlier, w/ a 9 mo. old SCI. Have a photo of my friends and I posed w/ the Times Square Fire Department that was on duty one night we went out. Turned out they were all killed.

I ought to digitize that and post it.
                          Blog:
                          Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Comment

I was getting ready for my first day back at work post injury. I was really nervous to be among my coworkers again after 13 months. Turns out, as the horror unfolded, I was able to slip into my office and nobody paid attention. Of course, nobody was really paying attention to anything other than what was happening on the East Coast. I remember feeling very heavy hearted and just an immense sorrow that stayed with me for days. To this day, whenever someone says, "let's roll", I think of Todd Beamer's last recorded words from flight 93, "are you guys ready? Let's roll", before the plane crashed in to the Pennsylvania field. The courage exhibited that day and in the aftermath was amazing.
                            Please submit your photo and story of hope:

http://bridges2hope.unite2fightparalysis.org/

http://unite2fightparalysis.org/

Comment

This was about 7 yrs pre surgery that screwed me up, but i was going in for hernia surgery, not sure if it was aggod thing or not, everyones attention was divided.

Comment

I was at work assisting with an attorney summit that we were conducting. The attorney's that were attending this event were from all over the country. It was awful! They could not get flights to get home to their families and were panicked - as were those of us here in Columbus. Many of them worked together to find out who lived in what parts of the country - they had to rent cars to get each other home as they traveled in each direction.

For me, my girls were 11 and 17 at the time.. I just wanted to go home and lock myself in the house. When I got home, all I could do was what news footage on TV. How could this happen to our country?

Comment

Working...
                                X