wheelchair wannabes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sherocksandsherolls View Post
    In the case of the woman, it was guilt from causing a crash and or need for her mother's love and approval..which she apparently never got..whatever the case ..a wannabe does not illicit any anger, contempt or judgement from me..they don't cause my disability to exist, they do not make my life worse, and they do not hurt me in any way. Other than the possibility they may be taking up a space I need, (which is far less than those who do not have this disorder and are just inconsiderate or lazy) they may actually help us as they are in public in chairs and as mentioned in the "advocacy thread" that we should just be out in public and show the world we exist...the more crips in public using ramps and demanding accessibility the better! lol.
    That is some fucked up logic. Someone faking being in a wheelchair helps us? We have enough problems without people thinking there is a possibility that we are faking our condition. The damage that someone could do if they are found faking being in a wheelchair is worrisome to us who actually are in wheelchairs.

Comment

Originally posted by t8burst View Post
      The damage that someone could do if they are found faking being in a wheelchair is worrisome to us who actually are in wheelchairs.
      I do see your point here..that would indeed hurt us if people thought we were faking our disabilities and therefore treated us with hostility or disgust thinking we were using the system for pity or profit...yuck. That is a valid concern.
      "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Comment

http://paracathy.blogspot.com/

Is this the person you were talking about Bethany? She talks about the NM article.
        Fucked up is right.
        If a mod needs to delete this not a problem.

Comment

In many ways (and I get that this is all me), this article and the reactions to it disturb me. I have both bowel/bladder control and sexual function. I'm not even paralyzed -- I'm just in a wheelchair because of stiff joints, basically.

But wait, it's even worse than that: unlike most people with an SCI, I have options available to me that could potentially improve my current situation. It's just that all of them involve sacrifices I find myself currently unwilling to make (i.e.: I vastly prefer wheeling to work over spending another few weeks in the hospital and/or on sick leave).

I understand that this does not make me a faker or a wannabe by the article's definition of those concepts. But somewhere deep inside me, I often *feel* like one. The fact that these fakers do, in fact, really exist ... well, that only makes it worse. It makes me wonder whether I would be fighting harder to regain the ability to walk, if only some part of me wasn't secretly loving life in a wheelchair.

Ugh. I never should have read this. It's going to make me hate and doubt myself for weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by LindaT View Post

Is this the person you were talking about Bethany? She talks about the NM article.
            Fucked up is right.
            Holy shit! Lorrie a picture of you in this "paracathy" site. !
            "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Comment

Originally posted by Saranoya View Post
              In many ways (and I get that this is all me), this article and the reactions to it disturb me. I have both bowel/bladder control and sexual function. I'm not even paralyzed -- I'm just in a wheelchair because of stiff joints, basically.

But wait, it's even worse than that: unlike most people with an SCI, I have options available to me that could potentially improve my current situation. It's just that all of them involve sacrifices I find myself currently unwilling to make (i.e.: I vastly prefer wheeling to work over spending another few weeks in the hospital and/or on sick leave).

I understand that this does not make me a faker or a wannabe by the article's definition of those concepts. But somewhere deep inside me, I often *feel* like one. The fact that these fakers do, in fact, really exist ... well, that only makes it worse. It makes me wonder whether I would be fighting harder to regain the ability to walk, if only some part of me wasn't secretly loving life in a wheelchair.

Ugh. I never should have read this. It's going to make me hate and doubt myself for weeks.
              Sara, I hope you don't let you disturb you too long. Please don't doubt yourself.

Comment

Thanks, Deborah, I just reported it.

I really loathe these people more each time I see them circulating photos of disabled women without permission. It's very sleazy.
                "The sweet is not as sweet without the bitter"
                ~"Vanilla Sky"~

Comment

Originally posted by LindaT View Post

Fucked up is right.
                  I've always suspected they were one and the same. Technology didn't exist back then to confirm. (Or, more likely, it existed and Steven didn't tell me LOL.)

Saranoya, I felt like a fraud for years, as an incomplete B-Sequard injury that worked really hard. It's a form of survivor's guilt imo. That shit is REAL, DJ AM committed suicide over. again imo.
                  Blog:
                  Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Comment

Originally posted by Lorrie View Post
                    Thanks, Deborah, I just reported it.

I really loathe these people more each time I see them circulating photos of disabled women without permission. It's very sleazy.
                    Well Para cathy is a lesbian and she obviously has the hots for you Lorrie as you are on her "slideshow" lol! I mean who wouldnt!

Comment

Og Gawd, fuxking paracathy. I need a shower.

It was always that they get off on our struggles, our inability. They're a lot more honest than they used to be. I didn't even know she is gay . And no, being lez isn't my issue.

However, it is interesting that penthouse did a spread.

Haha. "Spread."

paracathyy says wheeling is now too hard, too boring.

She finally gets it...although not really.

It IS a compliment of sorts that you're being displayed...Bleccchhhhh. With friends like that, who needs enemies?
                      Blog:

Comment

Originally posted by betheny View Post

However, it is interesting that penthouse did a spread.

Yeah, I would like to read it and see how they (model A.J Bray) were portrayed. Never bought a penthouse before..lol How does one do that??
                        Last edited by sherocksandsherolls; 09-03-2011, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Saranoya, I am in a similar position. I am a walking incomplete C5 and use forearm crutches. I have most of the SCI issues but, luckily not to the full extent!
                          I am in the fifty something age group now and with thirty plus years of hobbling around it is taking a toll. I have been contemplating purchasing a chair as a backup form of mobility but, I am not terribly excited about being labeled as a faker by both the able and disabled communities! I agree with your last sentence and thank you for stepping up.
                          1977 - C5 ambulating Quad

Comment

Originally posted by sherocksandsherolls View Post
                            Yeah, I would like to read it and see how they (model A.J Bray) were portrayed. Never bought a penthouse before..lol How does one do that??
                            One drinks 2.3 bottles of wine and deploys Designated Driver and sunglasses.

Camo on wheelchair also required, this is top-level ninja action for sure!
                            Blog:

Comment

Originally posted by Saranoya View Post

Dividing lines are very tricky business Saranoya. That is why labeling is such a treacherous endeavor no matter what the issue. Watch out for people that are quick to do so!

If any group should know about the broad spectrum of disabilities it is this community. I would leave it to the docs to determine who belongs in a chair and who doesn't.

I believe the very small group being discussed in this thread has very few members but just enough to spark a provocative conversation.

I have personally appreciated your brilliant articulation of your disability and environment over multiple threads. You're fighting the good fight and need that strong belief in yourself to continue doing so. Keep it up no matter how you need to get around!

Comment

Originally posted by betheny View Post
                                One drinks 2.3 bottles of wine and deploys Designated Driver and sunglasses.

Camo on wheelchair also required, this is top-level ninja action for sure!
                                camo LO!L I have an idea..someone buy it and we will just mail it to each other! I totally can't see myself running into some place and buying it..I wouldnt be caught in an "adult" store either..way too embarrassed! lol and it is not like we can be incognito!

Comment

Working...
                                X