• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stephen212 View Post
    Ouch and ouch.

Note to self: don't fall.
    Exactly! Ouch on both!

Hang in there 55!
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Ouch is right. Mend quickly, so I assume you're healing at home? Excuse me if you answered this question, I haven't been on a few days.
      A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child

Comment

Originally posted by LindaT View Post
        That is one hell of a sewing job 55. Where do I sign up for the full subscription you tease.
        I didn't count, but is that about $5000 a stitch?
        No. The Dr. bill separately. I have not received their bill yet. The $71k+ is just for room and board.
        You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
        http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
        http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Comment

SCI55...I can't imagine you being grumpy. Even if you were, you would probably do it politely.

Just go naked!!! I'm covered in poison oak and I am trying to do so myself out of sheer misery.

I hope you get well soon and maybe you and the Mrs can take a trip or do something nice together. You sure do deserve it.

(((hugs))) to both of you
          T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
            No. The Dr. bill separately. I have not received their bill yet. The $71k+ is just for room and board.
            Sounds like you been sitten in your "Hef" ward robe eating gold nuggets

And to think a good fulltime caregiver would have to work 2-1/2 to 3 years to earn that

Wound looks good, no infection

Comment

"We call them scars;Badges of Life." quote from some old 1930's film.

Comment

Way to go Rambo!

No square dancing while healing. You're liable to bust those seams on a promenade.
                And the truth shall set you free.

Comment

SCI55 - other than good wishes I have nothing productive to offer to help you feel better - except this:
                  (who couldn't use a puppy in the mailbox?) Hope you're doing well!

Comment

wow. some stitching. hope insurance is covering you nicely. you have healing to do w/o worrying about bills.

Comment

Thinking of you 55 and sending healing thoughts your way!

Comment

Originally posted by JimD View Post
                        SCI55 - other than good wishes I have nothing productive to offer to help you feel better - except this:
                        (who couldn't use a puppy in the mailbox?) Hope you're doing well!
                        That would make me feel better, Jim! Hang in there SCI56.
                        Don - Grad Student Emeritus
                        T3 ASIA A 27 years post injury

Comment

My power chair caster rolled in a woodchuck hole and fell over. I was stuck laying on my shoulder for 7 hours until they found me. In hospital for 30 hours and they did nothing but the total charge was almost 5 grand. This countrys health care is a mess and a rip-off.
                          C 5/6 Comp.
                          No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

Those staples - wow - at least they look good.

I hope the bill is covered by insurance of some type???
                            Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Originally posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
                              I hope you mend quickly so the mental part can heal too! I can totally relate to the feeling like a burden even though I'm sure your wife and my husband don't look at it that way. I've been in bed since May, I feel bad for my husband because I know it's affecting him too since we've missed the whole summer. I'll probably be in bed about 2 more months.

I've been in the hospital 5 weeks this year, first time since my injury in 84. Each week ran about $55,000. Dr.s billed separately like yours. Yours was quite a bit higher than mine. I was finally able to get medical insurance after 22 years. It went into effect in November. I pay $939 a month, have a $1,000 deductible and a $4,000 a year maximum out of pocket so I met that a long time ago. Without the insurance I would have gone bankrupt and crazy too.

Thankfully someone on this site told me about the insurance(Texas High Risk Pool). *This was before the healthcare reform insurance for people with pre existing conditions(*https://www.pcip.gov/Default.html) was available. *The PCIP insurance premium equivalent to mine would only be $323 a month compared to the $939 I pay. *You have to be without insurance for 6 months to qualify so I'm basically stuck with what I have. *I'm too afraid to risk something happening during the 6 month waiting period. **************************************

This site has been a lifesaver on many occasions. *Thanks everyone!

Get better soon 55! *You're a great man with a lot more wisdom to share! *
                              Last edited by sreneet; 13 Sep 2011, 1:28 AM. Reason: Tried to remove asterisks. Don't know why they're there.
                              Renee

Comment

So the surgeon checked my leg today...

X-rays were done and the staples removed. The hardware is holding things in place and the incision is healed except for the staple holes. Incidentally, We have been cleaning the incision with Vetericyn VF when we changed the dressing as a precaution. In sum, everything looks good.

The bad news is that it will be at least another month before we can start backing off any of the precautionary measures taken when dealing with transfers, etc., such as wearing the knee binder. That means at least another month of dependence on caretakers and friends. It is hoped that enough callous and ossification will be formed by then and reinforce the hardware so it will tolerate some stress.

In the meantime, even using a lift/sling is out because they may stress the femur.

Between my wheelchair issues and the fracture, this is turning out to be a lost summer and probably fall. I am starting to doubt that I will ever get back to driving my van.
                                You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
                                http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
                                http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X