We just had an Earthquake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We just had an Earthquake

I'm sitting in the bathroom, Tonja's on the phone and all of a sudden the whole house LITERALLY MOVED BACK AND FORTH FOR ABOUT 10 seconds. Waiting to hear on the news...........HOLY CRAP that is a terrifying event.
    Larry
    ------
    Visit - The Wolfe Pit Channel

5.8 near Mineral, VA.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Comment

Originally posted by WolfeMan View Post
      I'm sitting in the bathroom, Tonja's on the phone and all of a sudden the whole house LITERALLY MOVED BACK AND FORTH FOR ABOUT 10 seconds. Waiting to hear on the news...........HOLY CRAP that is a terrifying event.
      Yes, it occurred on both Rutgers campuses in New Brunswick and Piscataway. It must have happened some distance away because the movement was side-to-side.

Wise.

Comment

Originally posted by WolfeMan View Post
        I experienced the one in Central Virginia (2.1 on the Richter scale I believe) several years ago. Yeah, it definitely rocks your world and makes you wonder.

EDIT: Actually, I just checked and it was a 4.5 earthquake back in 2003 about 30 miles west of where I was at.
        Last edited by Patton57; 23 Aug 2011, 2:20 PM.

Comment

Seeing it on the news now larry, based in virgina, felt in NYC upt to Mass. I was sitting on the bed and it starting bouncing a bit and couldn't figure it out. i logged on here and saw your post, then turned the news on.

Comment

Just hearing about it on CNN/FOX/MSNBC. Epicenter: Mineral, Virginia, evidently between Charlottesville and Richmond on Interstate 64. Magnitude: 5.8, now upgrading to 6.0. A very shallow quake at 3.7 miles underground. Reports coming out that buildings in Washington, DC are being evacuated. Worries about subsidence beneath monuments and buildings. Also reports about evacuating some buildings and museums in New York City. NYMEX commodities market closed. Shutting down Newark, LaGuardia, JFK and control towers evacuated.

How close are you to this general area, Larry? Prepare for aftershocks.

All the best,
            GJ (from California - we know the feeling!!!!)
            Last edited by gjnl; 23 Aug 2011, 2:23 PM.

Comment

It shook for a good 15-20 seconds here (Cape Henry, at the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay.) I was drilling math facts at the kitchen table with my 9 year old. He stopped answering right away, looked at me and asked 'Why is the house moving?' It took me a good moment to realize it wasn't me just rolling around a bit, as usual, on these unleveled old wood floors!!
              "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

How scarey Larry. (I did not say YOU are scarey,Larry)
                Has that ever happened before in your area?

Comment

My wife and I didn't feel a thing.
                  stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

There was some real shaking in Baltimore. At first, I thought I was having spasms, until I saw things moving. Quakes like this are not normal for the East Coast.
                    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Comment

Quake

I was sitting at my computer desk here in Aiken, SC and felt the quake. My power chair rocked a bit and the desk top moved. I called to my wife in an other part of the house, but she did not feel anything.
                      You C.A.N.
                      Conquer Adversity Now

Comment

It shook us pretty good here in southern VA too, near the NC border. We all hit the exits here at work. Hearing news from my house that my foundation is cracked, YIKES@

Comment

Very noticeable here on Long Island - side-to-side surface waves, long duration - really pretty cool (once I realized that the house was not going to collapse)

Comment

Originally posted by JimD View Post
                            Very noticeable here on Long Island - side-to-side surface waves, long duration - really pretty cool (once I realized that the house was not going to collapse)
                            was weird right jim? I thought it was me at first, i thought i was having vertigo, lol

Comment

Originally posted by marycsm77 View Post
                              was weird right jim? I thought it was me at first, i thought i was having vertigo, lol

Actually, for the first few seconds I thought my legs were spazzing out - then I noticed the whole house was doing the same!

Comment

Working...
                              X