My mother died

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My mother died

My mother died on Saturday. She was 88 years old.
    She went in for a procedure. They cancelled the surgery because they found an aggressive spread of cancer (ovarian). She chose to go into hospice.
    They sent her to another hospital to get pain management in place.
    Within days and lots of morphine she was unable to communicate.
    Her swallowing was impaired so they stopped giving her water.
    As part of the plan there was no IV for hydration. She lasted a little over two weeks. It was hard to watch.
    5 of my brothers and sisters came home.
    We're putting together a memorial but it is hard to know who is doing what.
    A precious life is over. I wish her a continuing existence full of light.
    Rich

So sorry. It is very difficult to loose your parent. It sounded like she got good care and was able to have the death that she wanted. It is great that you supported her in her decisions about this. I hope your siblings can all support each other through this difficult time.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I wish you peace & comfort, Rich.

"We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek."
      - Barack Obama

Comment

Dear "pararich,"

So very sorry for the loss you and your family have experienced.

"There are no words deep enough and tender enough to soften your grief, or to lighten your burden. I know that the stars have all gone out, and the world seems poor and barren. Time, of course, will in some little degree dull the edge of pain. I wish I could write words of meaning enough to lessen your sense of loss. But I cannot. I know how I should feel under like circumstances, and so I know that my words are nothing…"

Robert G. Ingersoll

May all of you find peace in your mother's sweet memory.
        GJ and NL

Comment

Sorry for your loss. I hope she had a good life and you take comfort in that.

Comment

My sincere sympathies to you and your family. Sounds like not only do you have an angel of a mother, but she too has a wonderful son. May you be comforted with your many great memories.

Comment

Sorry for your loss Rich

Comment

Sorry to read that your mom passed away. My Mom had major back surgery a few months ago. I am glad she survived. My condolences.
                The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
                --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
                ––Paul Nussbaum
                usc87.blogspot.com

Comment

I am so sorry Rich... (((hugs and prayers)))
                  T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Comment

I hope you and your family are doing as well as possible. Sorry things took this turn.

Comment

I am so sorry, there are few sorrows harder to bear than the loss of one's mother and my thoughts are with you and your entire family.
                      MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Comment

So sorry you lost her, Rich.

Comment

I'm sorry for your loss.
                          Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Comment

I'm so sorry pararich. Lost mine when I was 24, but it doesn't matter what age it is ... it's a real hurt to lose a parent. I wish you comfort.
                            Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

I'm very sorry to hear of your loss. Though hard to witness, I bet she took comfort having her kids with her and knowing how much you loved her.

My grandmother, whom I was extremely close to, died of emphysema when I was a teenager. Although I spent a lot of time with her one of my greatest regrets in life was not telling her how much she meant to me and how much I loved her. I don't know the exact details of her death, but when I last saw her alive in the hospital she was unresponsive and curled up in a fetal position. It scared me and I left the hospital without giving her a kiss or telling her how much I loved her. The next morning when I heard of her passing it was like a heavy weight came crashing down on me. That whole experience left a lasting impression on me and to this day I make a point to let those closest to me know how much they mean to me.

I hope in time you find comfort.

Comment

Working...
                              X